More Battlefield 1 Info: Server Browser, Weapon Attachments, and More

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
More Battlefield 1 Info: Server Browser, Weapon Attachments, and More

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1320/1320688.jpgEA has shared some more info about Battlefield 1, including the fact that it will have a server browser.

If you've been looking for some more info on Battlefield Twitter account [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167374-Battlefield-1-World-War-1-Shooter-Launch-Trailer], Senior Producer Aleksander Grondal handed out some more info on the upcoming shooter.

One of the biggest pieces of news for me what the confirmation that the game will ship with a server browser. While it's likely that the browser is contained within a Battlelog-like browser interface, it's still much better than pretty much every other form of matchmaking.

There will be a single player campaign, and Grondal said it would feel "very much like Battlefield."

Planes will have rear gunner positions for a second player to man, and there will be weapon attachments, all of which will be authentic for the era. Vehicles will be more unique, and the gameplay will "reflect that," which is a bit confusing. Hopefully it means it won't be a battlefield dominated by vehicles.

Here are some other highlights from the Q&A:

There will be both familiar game modes and new ones
You can expect to see a range of different naval vessels
No night vision
Tanks can be crewed by one player, but other players can take additional seats and control guns
Damage to planes will have a gameplay effect. For example, losing part of a wing will affect how well the plane flies

I can't help but be intrigued by Battlefield 1. It might end up being just another shooter, but at least DICE is trying something a little different this time around.

We should learn more at EA Play [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166137-EA-to-Skip-E3-Booth-in-Favor-of-Its-Own-Events], EA's substitute for an E3 booth this year.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
as long as infantry can rule the day I will be happy. It should be the role of vehicles to support the infantry, not vehicles feeling so powerful, like they did in 4.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
I'd rather just be able to know that it'll be playable at launch, but we all know that won't happen.

Aside from that, my wishlist for this game is:
-Vickers
-Sopwith Camels
-SMLEs
-Webleys

It's a great and not commonly explored setting, and apart form it being done by Dice and EA, I'm warily looking forward to it. In the immortal words of General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett VC DSO, "Ah, tally-ho, yippety-dip and zing zang spillip! Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?"

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Every Battlefield game (except Heroes and P4F) has had a server browser of some kind in it. It's pretty much essential since the game types are so diverse and team play being such a heavy factor it's too important to find the same guys to rely on matchmaking.

I expect this will be like every Battlefield game to date, a total mess on release and incredible twelve months later.

That more or less defines DICE, they build hugely ambitions games and then spend the next year running around panicking as their player base systematically tears them apart.

Barring any horrific F2P mechanics being shoe horned in I will almost certainly have this on release day.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Tanks can be crewed by one player . . .
Ha! Tankettes, perhaps!

The bigger ones would probably have to be rare and withstand a pounding. This should be interesting. Maybe they mean something like this: http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=798

Looks pretty good for something drawn up during WW1.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
The boat thing has me very interested especially if it's for a naval warfare thing and not just static settings to have people spawn on then go to shore.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Ambitiousmould said:
-Sopwith Camels
-SMLEs
These were shown off in the trailer, so hopefully they're in the game.

fix-the-spade said:
I expect this will be like every Battlefield game to date, a total mess on release and incredible twelve months later.
I actually want this to happen. I got BF4 a year into the game's life cycle at a huge discount, and now it's one of the best online shooters I have ever played. DICE games are best aged, even Battlefront and Hardline (which isn't by DICE, but whatevs) are getting the "I'm sorry we fucked up, please have free content" treatment.

Ambitiousmould

Apr 22, 2012
Bob_McMillan said:
Ambitiousmould said:
-Sopwith Camels
-SMLEs
I saw the SMLEs but where was the Camel? I'm not great with my pre-WW2 era aircraft but I'm pretty sure no Camels were in the trailer. I might be wrong though.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Ambitiousmould said:
Bob_McMillan said:
Ambitiousmould said:
-Sopwith Camels
-SMLEs
I saw the SMLEs but where was the Camel? I'm not great with my pre-WW2 era aircraft but I'm pretty sure no Camels were in the trailer. I might be wrong though.
It was that bit with all the cavalry riding in, a Sopwith Camel strafed over them. The plane that crashed into the windmill was a Sopwith Camel too.

Here's a pretty comprehensive video, he mentions that Vickers as well:

<youtube=-_94XZfKdy0>

Karathos

May 10, 2009
If I see a single modern camo pattern on the weapons I will lose my shit. I'm impressed they're trying something new, but the fact they put that Dubstep-tier-nonsense in the trailer has me worried.

I know, I know; it's a hundred years ago, so the "be respectful" thing might ring a bit hollow. But somehow I don't feel right portraying the Great War as a fast-paced-shooter spectacle with energetic music playing in the background. Just my gut feeling on this one.

We'll see...

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
I'm interested (which is more than I can say about any recent BF/COD title). Playing with biplanes will make the dogfighting actually be appropriate, cause doing that in jets is kind of stupid. On the other hand, most soldiers were armed with the same weapon, so weapon variety might be an issue. I'm also curious as to what year of the war they'll go for. WW1 was a very violent clash of two time periods and 1914 looked almost like the napoleonic wars, while 1917 already resembled WW2.
These might sound like complaints, but the fact that we're having this conversation is already a compliment to dice.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Halyah said:
Tsaba said:
as long as infantry can rule the day I will be happy. It should be the role of vehicles to support the infantry, not vehicles feeling so powerful, like they did in 4.
Considering tanks didn't have a whole lot that could counter them during WW1 from what I understand, they'll be extremely OP if they keep true to that. So basically every single tank is a bossfight where the boss shrugs off pretty much everything except maybe grenades and artillery.

OT: I wonder if they'll remember that all sides in this conflicts were competing over who was the biggest douchebag in the field. This conflict wasn't a clearcut one like WW2.
Save from armor spalling caused by small arms fire (basically armor would dent and the inside would shoot metal splinters killing/injuring the crew(it's why modern tanks have kevlar blocks on the inside now)), the Mauser 1918 T-Gewehr, and artillery fire. As long as we don't have the problems of Battlefield 3 and 4 where aircraft where damn near unkillable because all they had to do was fly really high to avoid missile lock and the medium weapon systems carried by vehicles where just short of useless, I'll be happy.

Ambitiousmould

Apr 22, 2012
Bob_McMillan said:
Ambitiousmould said:
Bob_McMillan said:
Ambitiousmould said:
-Sopwith Camels
-SMLEs
It was that bit with all the cavalry riding in, a Sopwith Camel strafed over them. The plane that crashed into the windmill was a Sopwith Camel too.

Here's a pretty comprehensive video, he mentions that Vickers as well:

<youtube=-_94XZfKdy0>
Fair enough. Like I say, WWI isn't really my forte, but there's a few bits of equipment that I find cool from that period. Thanks for the video, too. It's pretty good.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013

Who was asking such questions that the developers had to specify there would be no night vision in a game about World War One!?

Considering that aircraft are now going to be biplanes, triplanes and eindeckers, perhaps they won't be such unstoppable air terrors as aircraft usually are in Battlefield. Also, by the Kaiser do I hope that single-player campaign lets us be German!

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Dragonlayer said:

Who was asking such questions that the developers had to specify there would be no night vision in a game about World War One!?

Considering that aircraft are now going to be biplanes, triplanes and eindeckers, perhaps they won't be such unstoppable air terrors as aircraft usually are in Battlefield. Also, by the Kaiser do I hope that single-player campaign lets us be German!
Well, seeing as the last time there was a big AAA WWII game with a night level (since there hasn't been a WWI that I can even recall).... sometimes you just have to state it for the crowd who's used to playing with night vision/thermal devices.

Flares! Flares everywhere!

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
and there will be weapon attachments, all of which will be authentic for the era.
So a bayonet or... a larger bayonet?

Rank up to level 50 and unlock the bayonet with a bit of cloth round the handle
SUPER!

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Tsaba said:
Dragonlayer said:

Well, seeing as the last time there was a big AAA WWII game with a night level (since there hasn't been a WWI that I can even recall).... sometimes you just have to state it for the crowd who's used to playing with night vision/thermal devices.

Flares! Flares everywhere!
I'd have liked to think that the crowd used to playing with night vision/thermal devices knew enough about the context of these games to understand that they are recent inventions, but evidently I'm wrong!

Flares everywhere, but we regret to report that there will be no UAVs, Predator drone strikes or tactical nukes. Also no retarded gold coated, diamond encrusted, snake skinned camouflage paint jobs for your weapons.

*Immediate drop in pre-orders*