More Ghostbusters Films on the Way

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
More Ghostbusters Films on the Way

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1364/1364199.jpg

Time to sharpen those pitchforks. Again.

The controversy surrounding 2016's Sony [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/reviews/cinemarter/17154-Ghostbusters-2016-Movie-Review] some money.

With disappointing numbers at the box office, talk of a sequel has gone from "definitely happening" to "we'll see, but it's not likely." However, producer Paul Feig [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/ivan+reitman]-directed movie.

So, it looks like the studio is committed to turning Ghostbusters into an even bigger franchise than it already is. It remains to be seen how fans take the news, but you can bet Sony will be listening more closely - for better or worse - to their demands in future outings.

Source: Comicbook.com [http://comicbook.com/2016/11/25/ivan-reitman-mum-on-ghostbusters-2-developing-other-films-in-fra/]

[gallery=6640]

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Neat. As long as they remember they're making comedies and budget accordingly, they'll do fine.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I thought we'd seen the end of this for a while. Here's hoping they didn't learn all the wrong lessons from this fiasco. God forbid they double down. To be frank, I don't think Hollywood knows how to make films like ghostbusters anymore.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Please...just stop.

The first movie was lightning in a bottle, it's never going to happen again. The 2nd movie proved this point, and it had everyone from the first movie in it. The third movie should have served as reconfirmation: the world does not need more Ghostbusters movies...

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
RJ 17 said:
Please...just stop.

The first movie was lightning in a bottle, it's never going to happen again. The 2nd movie proved this point, and it had everyone from the first movie in it. The third movie should have served as reconfirmation: the world does not need more Ghostbusters movies...
It always really bothered me that Dan Akroyd was so set on turning this thing into some kind of massive franchise. I think Bill Murray understood that the story had already peaked, and that it would be best to just leave it alone.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, they're not ready to give up the ghost yet?

Well, as someone who enjoyed the third film, that's a good thing IMO.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
If they use a mixed main cast this time, I might actually bother to go see it. And if it doesn't look like a cheap knock-off again.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
they will pull a Hulk then ? just forgot about that ghostbuster movie in 2016, the real canon movie is this new one ?

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
just watched this abomination on sunday and i only laughed once. just ONCE. good thing i have rented this turd otherwise i would jump off a cliff i have given them my money for a full priced dvd.

looks like they havent learned their lesson. just if it will have the female cast or the original cast is questioning. since the original are really old and one of them even dead, i can not see this going well. unless they have learned their lesson (which i highly doubt) then i may laugh twice in the new one.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Didn't they already learn this loop with Amazing Spider Man? Not-terrible but not-great reboot of a popular IP. Then trying to force it into a franchise despite that. With no Marvel-expy waiting in the wings to partner up and bail them out of it.

You can't replicate the comic book universes with random IPs. You're trying to rush out a universe while Marvel (and DC, at least on paper) have hundreds of stories and characters developed by dozens (if not hundreds) of writers over the span of 50+ years.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
The only way this could even begin to sound good is if they dump the previous director and PR department.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Seth Carter said:
Didn't they already learn this loop with Amazing Spider Man? Not-terrible but not-great reboot of a popular IP. Then trying to force it into a franchise despite that. With no Marvel-expy waiting in the wings to partner up and bail them out of it.

You can't replicate the comic book universes with random IPs. You're trying to rush out a universe while Marvel (and DC, at least on paper) have hundreds of stories and characters developed by dozens (if not hundreds) of writers over the span of 50+ years.
I don't disagree with anything you said, but I can't say the movie really suffers from trying to set up a franchise. It's left open ended, in the knowledge that the Ghostbusters will continue to operate, but there's no dangling plot hooks left in the film. It's not like Amazing Spider-Man, where the plot lurches from one plot point to the other with little regard for story structure, nor does it end on sequel bait like some other franchise films (off the top of my head, Independence Day: Resurgence, and Warcraft are two films released this year which are guilty of this).

Also the fact that Ghostbusters is technically already a franchise. Movies, cartoons, games, comics, etc.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Fox12 said:
To be frank, I don't think Hollywood knows how to make films like ghostbusters anymore.
They do, they're just not called Ghostbusters. They're called Krampus and Shaun of the Dead.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Fox12 said:
To be frank, I don't think Hollywood knows how to make films like ghostbusters anymore.
They do, they're just not called Ghostbusters. They're called Krampus and Shaun of the Dead.
I'm going to be 'that guy' and point out Shaun of the Dead is a British-helmed film made in Britain by British production companies (and one French one).

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Chimpzy said:
I'm going to be 'that guy' and point out Shaun of the Dead is a British-helmed film made in Britain by British production companies (and one French one).
Yeah, I know, but it's still a proper "Hollywood" movie nonetheless.

I mean, I don't think Termoniator 2 is technically Hollywood either.