More Playstation exclusives coming to PC, Days Gone this spring

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
What about PlayStation games on PC? A whole slate of them is on the way starting with Days Gone this spring.
Fair enough. So releasing PlayStation games on PC was something that Sony PlayStation held back on for a long time. Now it sounds like you’re very much on that bandwagon. What changed?

I think a few things changed. We find ourselves now in early 2021 with our development studios and the games that they make in better shape than they’ve ever been before. Particularly from the latter half of the PS4 cycle our studios made some wonderful, great games. There’s an opportunity to expose those great games to a wider audience and recognise the economics of game development, which are not always straightforward. The cost of making games goes up with each cycle, as the calibre of the IP has improved. Also, our ease of making it available to non-console owners has grown. So it’s a fairly straightforward decision for us to make.

This is following on from your publishing Horizon Zero Dawn on PC in August last year. How did that go?

We assessed the exercise in two ways. Firstly, in terms of the straightforward success of the activity of publishing the game on PC, people liked it and they bought it. We also looked at it through the lens of what the PlayStation community thought about it. There was no massive adverse reaction to it. So we will continue to take mission steps in this direction.
So, Days Gone already confirmed. What do you lads think the rest will be? Dad of Boy? Ratchet? Tsushima? FFVII Remake? Spidey? ... motherf'ing 4k60 Bloodborne!?!?!

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Square's been quite good about putting FF games onto PC for a while, I think the VII remake will turn up eventually although perhaps not until the next part is released for PlayStation. I'd like Bloodborne, if the port is good. The only games I think are particularly off the table are ones which heavily rely on the gyro or touchpad features of the DualShock 4 and Dualsense, like Tearaway and Gravity Rush.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Neat!

I never played it on PS4, but I was interested in picking it up on PS5, following the 60FPS patch.

Now though, will definitely be getting it on PC.

Its just a great time to be a PC gamer. We already get all of the Xbox exclusive games, and now PS games are slowly making their way across. Its great! I'd still imagine that a lot of the new stuff will be PS exclusive for a while - im not expecting to see Demon's Souls (PS5) anytime soon - but the more, the merrier.

Hopefully we can get some Naughty Dog stuff, or Spider-Man. Fingers crossed!

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Should be nice to see those killer aps come to PC. God of War, Spider-man, Bloodborne, Ratchet and Clank.

Sony is likely seeing the money Microsoft is making off PC-version sales of their games and figures a wider audience couldn't hurt and porting to PC probably isn't too much work.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Neat!

I never played it on PS4, but I was interested in picking it up on PS5, following the 60FPS patch.

Now though, will definitely be getting it on PC.

Its just a great time to be a PC gamer. We already get all of the Xbox exclusive games, and now PS games are slowly making their way across. Its great! I'd still imagine that a lot of the new stuff will be PS exclusive for a while - im not expecting to see Demon's Souls (PS5) anytime soon - but the more, the merrier.

Hopefully we can get some Naughty Dog stuff, or Spider-Man. Fingers crossed!
Well, nothing except Days Gone has been confirmed so far, but Bloodborne seems one of the more likely candidates. I figure at least some of the groundwork to get it running on PC is already done, since Dark Souls 3 runs on the same engine.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I wonder if someone's going to wreck the room on Twitter this time, like the last guy. And then he claimed, "I was only kidding". What a dweeb.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Well, nothing except Days Gone has been confirmed so far, but Bloodborne seems one of the more likely candidates. I figure at least some of the groundwork to get it running on PC is already done, since Dark Souls 3 runs on the same engine.
Days Gone was a surprisingly fun zombie apocalypse game. So while I have no plans on rebuying it for my PC, I do think it's a good thing to get that to a wider customer base. Solid game, solid acting and story. Hopefully it will have a second wind from the PC market.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
One thing that always gets on my nerves when it comes to these announcements, is just the amount of idiots crying foul whenever a previously exclusive game, gets ported elsewhere.

I just don't understand the mentality. Why are these people so emotionally attached to their big plastic boxes, built by massive corporations? Why does *someone else* getting the opportunity to play a game, make a fanboy have a big sad, and an even bigger cry?

I've already seen a bunch of #BoycottPS5 tweets in reaction to this news, and I just don't get it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
One thing that always gets on my nerves when it comes to these announcements, is just the amount of idiots crying foul whenever a previously exclusive game, gets ported elsewhere.

I just don't understand the mentality. Why are these people so emotionally attached to their big plastic boxes, built by massive corporations? Why does *someone else* getting the opportunity to play a game, make a fanboy have a big sad, and an even bigger cry?

I've already seen a bunch of #BoycottPS5 tweets in reaction to this news, and I just don't get it.
To feel special about themselves, or lord something over other people don't have. It's a case of them not having much talent or wasting their potential and inflating their egos just to feel better about themselves. Whether justification to use to be in a right or feel the best decisions in purchasing their favorite product. In simple terms: they have little to no action going on in their lives.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Just to feel special on about themselves, or lord something over other people don't have. It's also a case of them not having much talent or wasting their potential and inflating their egos just to feel better about themselves. Weather justification to use to be in a right or filled in at the best decisions in purchasing their favorite product. In simple terms: they have little to no action going on in their lives.
A bit blunt way of putting it, but yeah, when people seem to derive at least a good chunk of their identity and self-worth from brands and products, particularly exclusive ones, and that exclusivity for some reason ends, it's generally not taken well. For me it's like "Oh, cool, earlier would've been nicer, but whatever, I'll take it", but they gotta act a fool like their life-choices just got invalidated, all cuz someone else can get their sloppy seconds.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Long as they put them on Steam or GOG.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Why are these people so emotionally attached to their big plastic boxes, built by massive corporations? Why does *someone else* getting the opportunity to play a game, make a fanboy have a big sad, and an even bigger cry?
"My life has so little inherent value that I must inflate that value based on getting to play video games that some other people can't play."

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Well one reason I kind of get is that the exclusives drive the sales of the console. Players have looked at those games and decided they make the $500+ buy-in for PS5 or XSX worth it. On the other hand most of the ones listed so far have been PS4 games so really they’ve had exclusive access to them for a while. So I kindly invite them to kiss my arse.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Which one was Day's Gone?
Open world zombie game, more GTA than surviving sim. Okay-ish, nothing special but nothing bad.

I do hope god of war get ported, I can't use my PS4 for the force able future but I'd really like to do another playtrough.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Huh...I believe you, its just not ringing a bell. I'll check to see if ZP did a review.
I remember it got a fair amount of hype before release for a new IP. Then it actually released, to a chorus of resounding mehs, and was promptly forgotten.

See also The Order 1886, or Quantum Break on the MS side
Long as they put them on Steam or GOG.
So far they've all have come to Steam, tho Horizon is also on GOG. Anyway, Steam listing for Days Gone's popped up

System reqs are what I'd expect. Hopefully for those interested, it'll run decently. Ports have been a mixed bag so far, and dev Bend Studios hasn't done anything pc yet.

Last edited: