More Sophisticated Games May Follow PEGI Enforcement

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
More Sophisticated Games May Follow PEGI Enforcement

Cracking down on sales to minors may allow more mature titles to flourish.

Now that the UK can legally enforce PEGI ratings [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118389-United-Kingdom-Legalizes-PEGI-Ratings] on videogames, the entertainment market in Great Britain might start looking a little different. While stricter ratings might have some negative effects on retailers, UKIE - the Association for UK Interactive Entertainment - believes that stricter ratings will confer some benefits, too. In addition to getting parents more involved in their children's gaming lives, UKIE hopes that by more carefully delineating the lines between children and adult entertainment, developers will feel more comfortable making riskier games for a more mature audience.

"We're a sophisticated entertainment medium," explains Jo Twist, UKIE's CEO. "Just like any other sophisticated media like films, TV, whatever, you have content that is made for maturer audiences." Twist believes that the UK tends to look down on many popular games for their violent content, but believes that a clear, enforceable ratings system will help solidify games for kids and games for adults as two very discrete parts of a whole medium. "Hopefully, we will have done enough education and enough showing the positive sides of games so that this furor and this natural cultural bias doesn't happen anymore."

Beyond free expression, Twist states that there is another benefit to a detailed ratings system: parental involvement. "[We] found that a quarter of the parents never play games with their kids, which is actually surprisingly low as well," she says. "We encourage them to play as a family, to explore games, because they are, as we know, a fantastic form of entertainment for everyone." Of course, PEGI's new status also makes it easier to buy games for the right age bracket (or, more accurately, more difficult to buy games for the wrong one). If you want to buy a game rated 12, 16, or 18 and don't look your age, you'll have to prove it; if not, a retailer might have to shell out £5000 or even face jail time.

Whether the elimination of BBFC ratings on videogames and stricter retail law will actually encourage parents to check ratings and engage in dialogues with their children has yet to be seen, but if Twist is correct, the next few years could be a very exciting time for UK developers. However, if parents gaming with their children while adults play a slew of rich, grown-up games sounds too utopian, don't worry; odds are that someone, somewhere will still find a way to get angry about it.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-31-could-pegi-combat-the-inevitable-next-gen-the-violence-is-so-real-media-outcry]

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Parents buy adult games for their children, thus defeating the arguement. Nothing can keep mature content out of the hands of minors who are determined or have the means to get it.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
I doubt if it will for the rather simple reason the UK market isn't big enough to develop anything other than an indy title.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
albino boo said:
I doubt if it will for the rather simple reason the UK market isn't big enough to develop anything other than an indy title.
Yes. Exactly what the miniature giant space hampster said. Still this is a step towards more games for adults and less for teen boys. Maybe.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I'm not sure parents will even know about the fact that ratings are now legally enforced. I bet there's a significant number who don't even know what those numbers mean.

I also don't think that games are viewed with such disdain here in the UK. It seems it's only The Daily Mail who wants to spin sensationalist stories about how evil they are. But in other places they are pretty well respected. They have their own BAFTAs, Peter Molyneux has an OBE and video game reviews even get their own sections in several broadsheet newspapers like The Guardian and The Independent.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Marshall Honorof said:
However, if parents gaming with their children while adults play a slew of rich, grown-up games sounds too utopian, don't worry; odds are that someone, somewhere will still find a way to get angry about it.
As wonderful as the system sounds, this is an inevitability. Mostly because there will always be a lazy parent out there that will fuck up, and than the uptight-stickintheass parent will somehow get involved and "oh look! we're back right where we started."

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
Sorry lady, but this change isn't actually going to change anything.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Duckman

Jan 7, 2012
This seems all well and good until you start defining what makes an adult game. And then you have to take into account publishers that don't want their games sold alongside adult rated titles. It's pretty much how Nintendo pushed the already obscure adult game market out of brick and mortar stores. At least that's how I recall it. I may b wrong on a few details. But it does pose a possible problem for the retailers themselves. Ultimately, we're still going to just get the same old crap from the same old developers, and it isn't likely to change anytime soon. Games aren't stagnant because they're afraid of parental backlash. They're stagnant because publishers are too chicken shit to take a risk on anything fresh and interesting... With a few exceptions I won't care to list. Those who know what they are, feel free to insert reasons why I'm wrong. Please? I'm not calling anyone out, just trying to wrap my head around it.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
Sadly,the rating system only works if people pay attention to it, and legalizing it will only punish retailers, so there's probably going to be even less market for "adult games".

Besides, publishers don't want to sell AO games, a legal enforcement is not going to change that

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
octafish said:
albino boo said:
Yes. Exactly what the miniature giant space hampster said. Still this is a step towards more games for adults and less for teen boys. Maybe.
Butt kicking for goodness! I hope that the industry can get away from the bro-shooters and zombie madness and produce something a little more mature. A game that deals with sex like an art house movie instead of look at the boobies, or deals with violence in the manner of the Sopranos rather than the average Arnie Schwarzenegger movie.

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
albino boo said:
The UK Market has some of the best game developers out there;

Codemasters
Creative Assembly
Criterion
Eidos
Eurocom (Dead Space makers)
Jagex (Runescape makers)
Lionhead
Media Molecule (LittleBigPlanet)
Rare
Rocksteady (Batman Arkham Asylum/City)
Ruffian (Crackdown 2)
Team 17 (Worms)
Traveller's Tales

OT: This isn't going to change a thing, parents will still buy mature games for their bratty kids who want to play the latest games, despite the big red box on the game clearly saying it's an 18 or orange box saying its a 16. Then they will blame the games industry when their kids become violent/addicted to games/whatever other reason it is.

Any shop that sells games needs to clearly ask when anybody buys a game with a 12+ rating on it whether they are buying it for someone younger to play. If they are, don't sell it to them.
While this may sound unfair, a majority of the time people are going to be buying games for themselves/as a present for a friend/family member, but when a Mum or Dad comes into store and tries to buy the latest violent title then the person who's selling it needs to stop and think.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Riku said:
albino boo said:

Codemasters
Creative Assembly
Criterion
Eidos
Jagex (Runescape makers)
Lionhead
Rare
Ruffian (Crackdown 2)
Team 17 (Worms)
Traveller's Tales

OT: This isn't going to change a thing, parents will still buy mature games for their bratty kids who want to play the latest games, despite the big red box on the game clearly saying it's an 18 or orange box saying its a 16. Then they will blame the games industry when their kids become violent/addicted to games/whatever other reason it is.

Any shop that sells games needs to clearly ask when anybody buys a game with a 12+ rating on it whether they are buying it for someone younger to play. If they are, don't sell it to them.
While this may sound unfair, a majority of the time people are going to be buying games for themselves/as a present for a friend/family member, but when a Mum or Dad comes into store and tries to buy the latest violent title then the person who's selling it needs to stop and think.
Just how many of them those studios sell to the UK market only? All those studios make games to sell to the global market and not just the UK. If you spent £30 million making a game that would sell in the UK only you couldn't make your money back.

paislyabmj

Mar 25, 2012
albino boo said:
Rockstar north ring a bell.The guys who made the obscure indie darlings known as the GTA games.

OT:Maybe he has a point but since the whole world doesn't have this system I cant see much changing.

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
I'm confused...I thought the difference between games for adults and games for children was clear enough. Adult games have a big BBFC 18 certificate on the front. What's so difficult to understand about that?

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
paislyabmj said:
albino boo said:
Rockstar north ring a bell.The guys who made the obscure indie darlings known as the GTA games.

OT:Maybe he has a point but since the whole world doesn't have this system I cant see much changing.
Yawn try looking at the post above yours

albino boo said:
Riku said:
albino boo said:

Codemasters
Creative Assembly
Criterion
Eidos
Jagex (Runescape makers)
Lionhead
Rare
Ruffian (Crackdown 2)
Team 17 (Worms)
Traveller's Tales

Just how many of them those studios sell to the UK market only? All those studios make games to sell to the global market and not just the UK. If you spent £30 million making a game that would sell in the UK only you couldn't make your money back.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
Fuck me you dudes are pessimistic. Hasn't anyone considered that this MIGHT become a trend in other regions? It's not completely out of the realms of possibility that this could be adopted in North America, the rest of Europe, Australia etc. Difficult? Yes. Unlikely? Probably. But for fuck sake, give it a chance.
No wonder everything stays the same in this culture, everyone just falls to the ground and rolls around complaining how nothing's going to change, letting rich twats and mouth-breathers make all the decisions for you.
I'm marking a vote of optimism for this, since no one else is willing to. Shit, who knows, maybe something good might come of it, doubt much bad can.

jezcentral

Nov 6, 2007
5-0 said:
I'm confused...I thought the difference between games for adults and games for children was clear enough. Adult games have a big BBFC 18 certificate on the front. What's so difficult to understand about that?
Exactly. The PEGI has replaced the BBFC. Nothing has changed. PEGI ratings were given the same legal status as the BBFC ratings so this could happen. Whoever wrote this article missed this completely.

hudsonzero

what I thought I'd do was,
Aug 4, 2009
albino boo said:
*cough* grand theft auto *cought*