More Than Half of GameStop Customers Unaware of Stores' Trade-In Policy

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
I still use Game Stop from time to time. Despite the fact they have some terrible practices, the stores I go to have always been good to me. The people always help me find what I am looking for, and I don't mind them asking if I want to pre-order anything, get up a power-up rewards, and all that stuff. I've also gotten good deals for the games I've traded in. The games that are only a few dollars are always old games, and for used it's really cheap. Maybe I just am lucky whenever I go to trade in. It did suck having to but Xenoblade for $75, but at least in the store I could make sure the disk condition was good.

As far as the survey, I am a bit surprised, seeing how all the stores I go to have it plastered all over the place. Then again, a lot of the people I see in the store are parents, who just go in, buy a game for their kid, and leave. It most likely is that a lot of the people have a lot more things to think about then the stores trade in policy.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
roseofbattle said:
Only 40% of people shopping at GameStop know they can trade in their games for store credit or cash.

GameStop's trade-in policy is one of its pillars, but many people think of GameStop as only a place to buy games. GameStop president Tony Bartel told VentureBeat on Friday "only 40 percent of the people who walk into a GameStop store today know that we can accept trades of games."
is this gamestop being smart or escapits being stupid? knowing and using it are different things. i know gamestop offers trade in, i would never use it because they dont pay nearly enough to be worth it. am i in the 40% or not?

MrHide-Patten said:
In westeros they have throne of swords for kings, here we have bug wigs for CEOs. let the games begin!

Eclipse Dragon said:
Some people seem to have an incredible ability to filter out anything written on a sign, even when that sign contains useful information like "You can trade in your games", "Kid shoes over here" or "Yield".
thats because our whole life we are trying to filter advertisement that surrounds us, so we instinctively not read anything in the store.

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
Super Cyborg said:
I still use Game Stop from time to time. Despite the fact they have some terrible practices, the stores I go to have always been good to me. The people always help me find what I am looking for, and I don't mind them asking if I want to pre-order anything, get up a power-up rewards, and all that stuff. I've also gotten good deals for the games I've traded in. The games that are only a few dollars are always old games, and for used it's really cheap. Maybe I just am lucky whenever I go to trade in. It did suck having to but Xenoblade for $75, but at least in the store I could make sure the disk condition was good.

As far as the survey, I am a bit surprised, seeing how all the stores I go to have it plastered all over the place. Then again, a lot of the people I see in the store are parents, who just go in, buy a game for their kid, and leave. It most likely is that a lot of the people have a lot more things to think about then the stores trade in policy.
I've never had a bad experience with my local Gamestop either; the people working there are friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful - they've even gotten really old games (PS 2) shipped to them for me.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Zeras said:
Super Cyborg said:

I've never had a bad experience with my local Gamestop either; the people working there are friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful - they've even gotten really old games (PS 2) shipped to them for me.
I remember back when they had PS1 games, they had a very good condition of Lunar: Silver Star Story with both game discs, soundtrack, and the making of the game. I was so excited, but didn't have the money on me at the time because I just biked to the store with my friends to look around. I loved the second game and wanted to play the 1st one. The guy at the cashier noticed what was going on and offered to hold on to it so I could get the money back home to play it. I was back in 5-7 minutes with how hard I was peddling. Played the game that night, and got really excited at the opening theme. That's why I go to Game Stop every once in a while, because of things like that.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I wonder where they polled these numbers from, because I've never been able to purchase a single item from Gamestop without the high school dropout on the other side of the counter mechanically reciting every goddamn word of the script from the training video.

No, I don't want your fucking PowerUp Rewards card so I can get a 10% discount on a used title I'm paying only slightly less than retail price on.

I'm glad I moved to a place that has a ton of decent second-hand retailers that aren't GameStop so I don't have to put up with the constant BlockBuster-esque upselling.

Nov 28, 2007
Tohuvabohu said:
Neronium said:
In all honesty, it's probably for the best that they don't know. The amount they give you for trade ins is abysmal, and it's even lower if you go for straight cash instead of store credit. I wouldn't have a problem with it as much, if they didn't mark up the price of the used games to being about $5 cheaper than just buying it brand new.
No kidding. I think the most insane offer I ever got for a trade-in there, was for Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City.

[HEADING=1]70 fucking cents.[/HEADING]

And that was for store credit. Yeah, I know the game was shit. But give me a break. I would've been less offended if the guy offered me half a pack of gum and an empty can of soda.

OT: That's odd. Gamestop is the kind of place never shuts the fuck up about trade-ins and pre-orders. How can this many people be completely unaware about the, albeit awful, trade-in policy?
I got offered a dime for Guitar Hero III about 2 years ago. Granted, the game was old, but a dime?