morrowind

gunbladejoe

Jun 4, 2008
my god I missed out bad when the game first came out.
JUST recently I played oblivion. loved it. but I don't gotta 360 so I don't really got the means to play it unless I go to a freinds house. welp he lent me something just as good. morrowind.

man I love that game.
anyone else still play it?
and if so do you play the expansion for it or just the normal one.

gunbladejoe

Jun 4, 2008
quack35 said:
I play the GOTY edition, with both expansions.
yeah? my freind says its incredibly harder than the normal one so he told me to get my character a higher lvl and his stats higher before I played.

CIA

Sep 11, 2008
I made a thread about the exact same thing a little bit ago. Seems like a lot of people missed out first time around.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
I love Morrowind, it is an amazing game.
If you are going to get it, get the GotY edition, but stay in Vvardinfel until you are a higher level, the areas an creatures the expansions introduce are no place for newbies. But you will want the better journal and enemy health system that the GotY edition provides.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
The amount of hours I put into Morrowind made Oblivion unplayable to me.

Jun 24, 2009
I play on both, I don't own it, but my friend lent it to me on sort of an 'until further notice' kind of thing. I love the Bloodmoon expansion, the Tribunal one is HARD though.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
Oblivion was utter rubbish when compared to Morrowind, and completely uncomparable when the awseome expansion that is bloodmoon is taken into account.

gunbladejoe

Jun 4, 2008
j0z said:
If you are going to get it, get the GotY edition, but stay in Vvardinfel until you are a higher level, the areas an creatures the expansions introduce are no place for newbies. But you will want the better journal and enemy health system that the GotY edition provides.
ha thanks for the info. and also I was wondering. is it possible for me to play as the guy I made on the original morrowind on the GOTY edition?

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Morrowind is amazing, even now. And for you pc gamers (i have it on xbox AND pc) i highly recommend "better looking morrowind"

Its morrowind with near-oblivion graphics, minus the bloom.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
gunbladejoe said:
j0z said:
ha thanks for the info. and also I was wondering. is it possible for me to play as the guy I made on the original morrowind on the GOTY edition?
Yeah. The Expansions work, basically the same way they do in Oblivion, you just plug them in and it keeps going with a newly expanded world.

Also, yeah Tribunal was punishingly hard, or supposed to be. I remember having a marksman heavy stealth character who got her hands on the dark brotherhood armor and then the dwarven darts, game broken. :p

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
8-Bit_Jack said:
Morrowind is amazing, even now. And for you pc gamers (i have it on xbox AND pc) i highly recommend "better looking morrowind"

Its Morrowind with near-oblivion graphics, minus the bloom.
There's a fresh renderer that can add bloom. It also adds line of sight, which makes it is really weird to be standing in Balmora and look inland and see the Ghost Fence.

stone0042

Apr 10, 2009
I actually just found the gem about 2 months ago, and love it, although i haven't ventured into the expansions yet.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Glefistus said:
8-Bit_Jack said:

I don't, I checked all three graphic overhalls, and all of them take away from the "Morrowind" felling and atmosphere.
It's the lack of fog? So Vvardenfell looses it's mystery? or what?

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Starke said:
8-Bit_Jack said:

There's a fresh renderer that can add bloom. It also adds line of sight, which makes it is really weird to be standing in Balmora and look inland and see the Ghost Fence.
um... the lack of bloom was meant to be a positive statement. Bloom is bad. Bad, bad design.

Glefistus said:
8-Bit_Jack said:

I don't, I checked all three graphic overhalls, and all of them take away from the "Morrowind" felling and atmosphere.
THere are way more than three graphics mods. THe only thing I didnt like about BLM is that the ashlands are impossible to navigate with grass on them.

I should have remembered to say only install it after beating dagoth ur, so the "grasshlands" make more sense

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
8-Bit_Jack said:
Starke said:
8-Bit_Jack said:

um... the lack of bloom was meant to be a positive statement. Bloom is bad. Bad, bad design.
Some people like it, and in the version I was using it was an option you could turn on and off.

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
j0z said:
Morrowind is unbelievably easy to powergame though, there are so many ways to make your character near invincible. I was really upset that enchanting became comparably underpowered in Oblivion; in Morrowind, once you had constant effect Sanctuary, Chameleon or Restore Health on your armor/clothes/amulets/rings up to 100% you became an instant god.

Then you can go ahead and Soul Trap Vivec or Almalexia's soul for even more enchanting shenanigans

The training is completely broken too, what with the Drain Skill trick. Alchemy was broken too, especially when combined with enchanting. The addition of the creeper and the Mudcrab push it over the edge for me though, they seemingly suggest that Bethesda wanted it to be easy for players to powergame through the thing. There really shouldn't be a reason why Morrowind should continue to be difficult after you find an income stream of some sort.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Spectrum_Prez said:
j0z said:
Morrowind is unbelievably easy to powergame though, there are so many ways to make your character near invincible. I was really upset that enchanting became comparably underpowered in Oblivion; in Morrowind, once you had constant effect Sanctuary, Chameleon or Restore Health on your armor/clothes/amulets/rings up to 100% you became an instant god.

Then you can go ahead and Soul Trap Vivec or Almalexia's soul for even more enchanting shenanigans

The training is completely broken too, what with the Drain Skill trick. Alchemy was broken too, especially when combined with enchanting. The addition of the creeper and the Mudcrab push it over the edge for me though, they seemingly suggest that Bethesda wanted it to be easy for players to powergame through the thing. There really shouldn't be a reason why Morrowind should continue to be difficult after you find an income stream of some sort.
I've always felt that Morrowind was intended to replicate the feel of a two player P&P RPG campaign. So all the game breaking stuff is the kind of lapses you'll find in a system like D&D. Though the alchemy bumps were stupidly easy to abuse.