Morrowind

spikeyjoey

Sep 9, 2009
Well I decided to delve into this blast from the past.. loved oblivion and skyrim, so thought id check out morrowind (was just hailed as the best rpg ever in a previous tread..)

thing is- im getting owned by rats... im level 1, sure, but rats? went out and bought a long sword and shield to fit my class better, but nope, still getting spanked..

I flail my sword at them but only about 1 in every 10 swings connects.. its damn frustrating... am i doing something "wrong"?

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Nope. You're not necessarily doing wrong...

It's just that just about everything in Morrowind has a % of failure, and when you start off, you fail A LOT.

Swing a sword? Missed.
Cast a spell? Fizzled.
Brew a potion? Spilled on your pants.

I'd recommend reading this; Morrowind_for_Oblivion_Players [http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Morrowind_for_Oblivion_Players]

Skin

Dec 28, 2011
It was a dice roll system of landing attacks. The combat system in Morrowind makes Skyrim's look amazing.

But again, you don't play TES for its combat... Because the combat in TES sucks balls regardless of which game it is. Download mods like a mofo and see if you can scavenge that 45% of Tamriel or whatever from Tamriel Rebuilt.

Why Morrowind gets praise over OblivionGates and Skyyawn is because the freedom in Morrowind is much, much greater. Levitation. Nuff said.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Did you assign at least one weapon type to be a major skill? If not, I'd suggest that you do and stick to that weapon. Morrowind uses your skill level with a weapon to calculate your "to hit" percentage. Basically the more proficient you are, the more often you'll hit. This system applies to many other actions in the game, including creating potions with Alchemy and repairing your gear with Armorer.

I'll admit Morrowind isn't the easiest game to get the hang of, but it can be very rewarding once you do.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Yeah, first a few levels are pain in the ass.
Don't rush into big world just yet.
Try to gather some stuff, do some minor quests around Seyda Neen. You may want to use those traveling hulks to reach Balmora or other cities.

And BEWARE THE CLIFFRACERS ! ;)