Mortal Kombat 1: Finish Him!

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Finally played it (lowly standard version here), and can say even on an oldish PC it runs as smoothly as the previous games, using the latest Nvidia driver. And, and, PS button icons present right out the gate, using a Dual Sense. There was a patch on 9/15 that probably helped so can only assume it was worth the few days wait.

Only played an hour or so but did half the tutorials and am on Johnny’s part of the story. I like the little things it adds to help flesh out the mechanics. Air kombos have a bunch of possibilities especially with Kameos, and an increased incentive to fight aggressively with the way meter builds more like MKX on block pressure is awesome. Some of the jump in’s feel too floaty, though it seems to be on some characters more than others. Scorpion’s especially should be quicker, but I was only playing him in the tutorial.

Performance wise I’m using whatever custom graphics settings the game gave me, and it looks/runs equally well so I’ll probably leave it be. The only issue is a frame hitch when it transitions from cutscene to a fight, but I was only playing on an HDD. I also put it on my SSD before I went to bed so am curious to see how much that improves things.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
She can, she is.
Still, eh.

I get the complaints but ultimately the difference IMO (besides the plus of Fox at least sounding more feminine) is, she’s a vampire. Some would say well, Sonya’s a soldier and they can sound pretty wooden too. But she’s still American and has traditionally had some sass to her character. Nitara has more leeway being of a different realm/culture/dialect/whatever. In any case though, it’s probably best they stop using celebs to voice these characters in the future.

What’s sadder is -

But good on Ed for publicly acknowledging it. Better would be dropping the price to half of what it currently is.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
But good on Ed for publicly acknowledging it. Better would be dropping the price to half of what it currently is.
Or just not making a Switch version entirely if it wasn't a goal of the development in the first place. There is no point putting a game on Switch if doing so requires a shitload of cutbacks on the game quality itself just to get it to run in a halfassed way. Just make the game you want to make and then see later if you can make it work on the shitty Switch.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Or just not making a Switch version entirely if it wasn't a goal of the development in the first place. There is no point putting a game on Switch if doing so requires a shitload of cutbacks on the game quality itself just to get it to run in a halfassed way. Just make the game you want to make and then see later if you can make it work on the shitty Switch.
It shows just how stupid WB’s logic is. “Yeah, let’s scrap the versions that still have the largest install base and are still technically superior to Switch, because clearly these exclusive Nintendo fans love MK games!”

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Megan Fox was a mistake :(
Honestly Fox is a huge improvement over Rousey. For one, Fox can actually act. I'm not going to defend every role she's in, but she knows what she's doing. Two, I've seen cliffs of her and so far nothing felt off to me. I haven't seen the whole story yet, but I think it's just another one of those cases of people exaggerating and going too far. There's always been an overblown hatred for Megan Fox. I need that I had some of my own dislike for her at the time, but that was mainly the Transformers movies. Once I saw what she can do, outside of the crappy Bay fest, I realized it was just the movies themselves and not part of her. Like I said, not a hardcore fan, but she's fine in my book.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Honestly Fox is a huge improvement over Rousey. For one, Fox can actually act. I'm not going to defend every role she's in, but she knows what she's doing. Two, I've seen cliffs of her and so far nothing felt off to me. I haven't seen the whole story yet, but I think it's just another one of those cases of people exaggerating and going too far. There's always been an overblown hatred for Megan Fox. I need that I had some of my own dislike for her at the time, but that was mainly the Transformers movies. Once I saw what she can do, outside of the crappy Bay fest, I realized it was just the movies themselves and not part of her. Like I said, not a hardcore fan, but she's fine in my book.
Exhibit A

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Exhibit A

Max is a different beast altogether, and on a whole another level!. He would make a great Baraka though! Like I said before, she's fine but she could have put more "oomph" into that line. I can already tell you that my older brother is not going to give a rat's ass. Once he finds out Megan Fox is in the game, he's going to be all over her.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Max is a different beast altogether, and on a whole another level!. He would make a great Baraka though! Like I said before, she's fine but she could have put more "oomph" into that line. I can already tell you that my older brother is not going to give a rat's ass. Once he finds out Megan Fox is in the game, he's going to be all over her.
Megan Fox stands out as bad I think mostly because everyone, EVERYONE, else is fantastically voice acted lol. So it comes off to me and worst than Rhonda simply because of that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Megan Fox stands out as bad I think mostly because everyone, EVERYONE, else is fantastically voice acted lol. So it comes off to me and worst than Rhonda simply because of that.
Understandable, but I still say Rhonda was much worse.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Apparently a lot of brutalities are bugged and i am very annoyed with it because im almost done with the platinum but i need to do a bunch of brutalities and it is way harder than it should be as a bunch just dont fucking work!

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Apparently a lot of brutalities are bugged and i am very annoyed with it because im almost done with the platinum but i need to do a bunch of brutalities and it is way harder than it should be as a bunch just dont fucking work!
Been reading this too. Seems to be more character specific like Scorpion or Rain but perhaps others. Hopefully it’ll be patched soon.

I haven’t looked into individual characters much, but do each still have the basic throw or uppercut brutality, or do those not count towards 10 different? At least it looks like the list doesn’t focus much on online stuff.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Been reading this too. Seems to be more character specific like Scorpion or Rain but perhaps others. Hopefully it’ll be patched soon.

I haven’t looked into individual characters much, but do each still have the basic throw or uppercut brutality, or do those not count towards 10 different? At least it looks like the list doesn’t focus much on online stuff.
They have to be different, every character has the same upper cut so that only counts as one. But all the kameo throws count as different. You just have to level every cameo to 2 which is probably what I'm going to have to do since leveling kameo fighters is a trophy as well anyway. It just sucks to level a main fighter and find out the brutality is broken.

Each main fighter has brutalities that unlock as you level them, and all those count as different. But you have to level them to like 4 or 5 which takes time and it's these unlocked brutalities that seem to be broken. Not every one of them, but quite a few.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
They have to be different, every character has the same upper cut so that only counts as one. But all the kameo throws count as different. You just have to level every cameo to 2 which is probably what I'm going to have to do since leveling kameo fighters is a trophy as well anyway. It just sucks to level a main fighter and find out the brutality is broken.

Each main fighter has brutalities that unlock as you level them, and all those count as different. But you have to level them to like 4 or 5 which takes time and it's these unlocked brutalities that seem to be broken. Not every one of them, but quite a few.
A lot of people are agreeing they should do away with a lot the the unlockable shit too (like Kameos, finishers, etc.) and just have them all available as if it were for tournaments. I don’t mind personalized cosmetic stuff being locked, or endings obviously, but the gameplay stuff kinda sucks to be gated, especially if it’s a grind or there’s no way to tell what you’re getting for it. Apparently there’s more of a mastery system for each character vs the RNG stuff found in krypts like before though, so that sounds better.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
A lot of people are agreeing they should do away with a lot the the unlockable shit too (like Kameos, finishers, etc.) and just have them all available as if it were for tournaments. I don’t mind personalized cosmetic stuff being locked, or endings obviously, but the gameplay stuff kinda sucks to be gated, especially if it’s a grind or there’s no way to tell what you’re getting for it. Apparently there’s more of a mastery system for each character vs the RNG stuff found in krypts like before though, so that sounds better.
I dont really mind the unlockable things because it gives single players something to work towards. Like I will never play online or bother trying to get good in that regard, so I like the invasion mode and this unlockable journey of things to do that give the game longevity beyond just playing the story mode.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I dont really mind the unlockable things because it gives single players something to work towards. Like I will never play online or bother trying to get good in that regard, so I like the invasion mode and this unlockable journey of things to do that give the game longevity beyond just playing the story mode.
I like the idea of changing it up. A lot of people are also hating on Invasions saying the krypt was way better, but really all it was the last couple games is running around opening chests. Sure Shang’s island was a cool setting but it got old backtracking all over it and some of those areas were confusing AF to navigate. At least MK9’s kept it simple just using a giant fucking graveyard.

But yeah, I’m cool with Invasions for something new.