Mortal Kombat BANNED for Aussies

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
Here is the evidence

http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1152077p1.html

'According to reliable retail sources, the much-anticipated fighting game reboot, Mortal Kombat, has been refused classification (RC) by the Australian Classification Board.

Our source, who requested to remain anonymous, received an email stating the game "will not be released in Australia."

It also requested the retail outlet remove all references to the game - signage and display cases - as well as cancel all preorders in Australia.

The email added that the decision might be overturned in the future, but these steps were currently necessary.

Here's the official statement from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment:

The highly anticipated video game Mortal Kombat, published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (WBIE) in Australia, has been refused classification by the Australian Classification Board and will not release in Australia. We are extremely disappointed that Mortal Kombat, one of the world's oldest and most successful video games franchises, will not be available to mature Australian gamers.

WBIE would not market mature content where it is not appropriate for the audience. We understand that not all content is for every audience, but there is an audience for mature gaming content and it would make more sense to have the R18+ classification in Australia. As a member of the iGEA, WBIE is reviewing all options available at this time'

Just from my experience this isnt much of a shock too me due to how violent the game is.

Why cant we play the game? its our money we can play what ever we want.

NOTE: my assumption is that this isnt totally set in stone so it may change in future but dont hold your breath

Scythas

May 19, 2009
I'm not shocked, but I'm definitely outraged.

Just read this on google news and thought I'd head over to the Escapist.

I am not impressed. What can we do?

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
I'm not shocked, nor do I really care. If I'm to buy it, I won't be able to afford it without importing myself anyway.

...Problem nanny state?

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
According to Yahtzee, it doesn't matter, as you can still import it.

Yahtzee's Twitter said:
Mortal Kombat banned in Australia. Don't bother complaining, just import it. Show, don't tell, the pointlessness of refusing classification.
Still, I'm not surprised, considering how brutal X-Ray mode appears.

Calumon: If it's pointless, then why bother? :S

Scythas

May 19, 2009
strangeotron said:
Scythas said:
I'm not shocked, but I'm definitely outraged.

Just read this on google news and thought I'd head over to the Escapist.

I am not impressed. What can we do?
I bet if they took out the x ray moves they'd be ok. Frankly while i despise this prurient bollocks, I think those moves are a step too far from what i've seen. Are they really necessary?
I think they might be. I'll admit, the moves are a bit nauseating, but thats just it; Mortal Kombat has always been about the gore, even in its 2D days. Taking the moves out will just give us Left 4 Dead 2: Australia edition again.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Trezu said:
Why cant we play the game? its our money we can play what ever we want.
Except that nobody really wants to play the new Mortal Kombat. Looks like Australia's "quality control" policy has whisked another rubbish game off the shelves before its bad gameplay corrupted the standards of Australian gamers.

Seriously though, I hope that the game publisers don't cave in and do a Valve, releasing an edited version of the game. Valve's worst ever mistake was editing L4D2 for Australian audiences. If enough publishers stick to their guns and refuse to water down games for the Australian market, thus leaving the games banned, lost revenue for the country's economy will eventually talk louder than conservative rhetoric and we will eventually get that R rating and the games we want down here in the long run.

EGtodd09

Oct 20, 2010
Fuck yeah, so glad to be in New Zealand (but not in Christchurch obviously, so sad by the way, death toll now 145 confirmed dead)

DevilWolf47

Nov 29, 2010
Jack and Calumon said:
According to Yahtzee, it doesn't matter, as you can still import it.

Yahtzee's Twitter said:
Mortal Kombat banned in Australia. Don't bother complaining, just import it. Show, don't tell, the pointlessness of refusing classification.
Still, I'm not surprised, considering how brutal X-Ray mode appears.

Calumon: If it's pointless, then why bother? :S
To Calumon or Jack's sociopath second personality:
Because people are stupid. The Australian governments war against violent video games has been nothing more than futile effort. I really think Yahtzee hit the nail on the head a couple of years back about the government trying to jump on a bandwagon from a real country. If they were smart, they would know that it is better to allow an 18+ classification to help their local businesses because refusing classification won't stop the game from getting to Australia, it will only keep Australian stores from benefiting. And with the R18 rating, they can throw big fucking fits whenever they see a child play a game that was classified, no such crime exists if classification doesn't exist.

...at least i think that's how it works... i'm not an Australian lawyer.

colourblind

Feb 2, 2011
I would rather WBIE stick to their guns and not water down MK cause at the end of the day I would rather nothing than a cheapened shell of a game which I was looking forward to.