Mortal Kombat Dev Reveals Existence of PSP 2

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
You forgot using a hard storage medium that doesn't have the worst load times in the history of storage mediums.
Sony has made it clear that they want to skip the middle-man entirely and just sell you the titles directly. Solid state memory is the best option altogether to achieve this goal, in addition to being the least prone to hardware failure as a result of movement or impact.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Electrogecko said:
V8 Ninja said:
Big surprise? Sony had to have something to go up against the 3DS, even if it means just putting in new hardware to make everything look pretty and doing absolutely nothing special to make the console stand out.
THAT'S NOT TRUE......I guarantee it'll have 2 analog sticks......fricken FPS junkies.
Even if it did have two analog sticks, that still doesn't make it unique. Consoles since the original Playstation have been using dual-analog sticks, and just putting that on a handheld really won't impress anyone (especially me). As I've said before, Sony got lucky in the gaming business by releasing the hardware that game developers wanted at the time. Besides that, they're the weakest of the three console-manufacturing companies.

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
V8 Ninja said:
Electrogecko said:
V8 Ninja said:
Big surprise? Sony had to have something to go up against the 3DS, even if it means just putting in new hardware to make everything look pretty and doing absolutely nothing special to make the console stand out.
THAT'S NOT TRUE......I guarantee it'll have 2 analog sticks......fricken FPS junkies.
Even if it did have two analog sticks, that still doesn't make it unique. Consoles since the original Playstation have been using dual-analog sticks, and just putting that on a handheld really won't impress anyone (especially me). As I've said before, Sony got lucky in the gaming business by releasing the hardware that game developers wanted at the time. Besides that, they're the weakest of the three console-manufacturing companies.
You should have said "In my Opinion". Sony has been picking it up since the launch of the Ps3 and they don't seem to be slowing down. I could list all the software and hardware they are prepared to release but whats the use? If anything I see MS as the weakest at this point b/c they seem to be relying on multiplats and overhyping their few AAA exclusives.

*How is releasing hardware that people want lucky? If you say "Man I would pay $X for an ice cream cone" and I give you one for $X would you call me lucky or smart for capatilizing on an opportunity.

getbonus

Sep 14, 2010
Anecdotal 'confirmation' is nice; of course it was a given that PSP2 is in development. I expected it to be announced at E3 alongside 3DS, or shortly thereafter. Sony may be dragging their feet here, but however long it takes to not make another PSP go.

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
-Seraph- said:
IamSofaKingRaw said:
If it is powerful enough to support ps2 games than Sony should release ps2 games on PSN. They could even release them along with the collections on ps3 with th ability to transfer save files between the 2. Then you could play the games anywhere : D.
That would be cool, but damn that would take up a lot of space for a single game unless the PSP2 is packing some serious internal storage. PS2 games on the go would still be amazing none the less.
Ipod touches can support like 32gigs of memory right? A regular next gen game is about 4-6 gigs so a ps2 game shouldn't fill your MS much.....I hope...

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
IamSofaKingRaw said:
-Seraph- said:
IamSofaKingRaw said:
If it is powerful enough to support ps2 games than Sony should release ps2 games on PSN. They could even release them along with the collections on ps3 with th ability to transfer save files between the 2. Then you could play the games anywhere : D.
That would be cool, but damn that would take up a lot of space for a single game unless the PSP2 is packing some serious internal storage. PS2 games on the go would still be amazing none the less.
Ipod touches can support like 32gigs of memory right? A regular next gen game is about 4-6 gigs so a ps2 game shouldn't fill your MS much.....I hope...
Oh yea putting internal storage in the thing isn't hard (PSPgo had 16gigs embedded right in), but the major concern I have would be the expense. It doesn't matter how easy or cheap it is to put more memory in the thing, I just know Sony would still charge a lot for it. Although 16gigs already embedded into the PSP2 would be very nice and I am almost certain they will do it...I hope.

I like Sony and all, but I know they still like to pull off some bullshit prices.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
Pingieking said:
Well, if it doesn't have two analog sticks (or some kind of control scheme that achieves the same effect), then I'm not buying. I wonder what they're going to use as the storage media, now that they're dropping UMDs. Since it's Sony, it'll probably be a new thing supported only by the PSP2.
Ninja'd. Yup two analogues are a must Sony, are you listening??

And perhaps make it a bit more ergonomic...more controller shaped that flat!

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Increase the damn battery life please. That's one thing I would want for one thing.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Does it have a second analogue stick?

If not, I'm not interested. If yes....then I'll be interested in a couple of years when I have the money.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
V8 Ninja said:
Electrogecko said:
V8 Ninja said:
I know. I was being sarcastically ironic. But I'm soooooo positive it's going to have one since all psp owners want is to play FPS' 24-7.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
IamSofaKingRaw said:
You should have said "In my Opinion". Sony has been picking it up since the launch of the Ps3 and they don't seem to be slowing down. I could list all the software and hardware they are prepared to release but whats the use? If anything I see MS as the weakest at this point b/c they seem to be relying on multiplats and overhyping their few AAA exclusives.

*How is releasing hardware that people want lucky? If you say "Man I would pay $X for an ice cream cone" and I give you one for $X would you call me lucky or smart for capatilizing on an opportunity.
Yes, it's true that the PS3 has gained steam and that MS does overhype multiplatform and exclusive titles, but the thing is that they have the best online service out of all of the gaming machines out there (excluding the PC) and many games are really pushing online nowadays. Heck, how many people actually bought Halo 3 (or almost any big-name FPS besides Bioshock) for the single player? Close to zero. Also, another problem is that the PS3 doesn't really know what it wants to be. It's trying to sell itself on the fact that it can play Blue-Ray movies as much as it was made for it's intended purpose of playing games. And the game selection seems to be confused as well. On one side there's Killzone while the other has LittleBigPlanet, and Uncharted seems to have it's own separate room. At least the 360 library shows that it's meant for the frat-partying college teens of the world and the Wii tries to aim at the family/younger audience.

Oh, and about the whole lucky thing, Sony originally had formed a partnership with Nintendo to create a CD add-on to the SNES. Unfortunately, due to Nintendo realizing that area was failing at the time, they abandoned the partnership. Sony then decided to use their already-built plans to create a game console of their own, which turned out to be the Playstation. Console game developers wanted to have lots of megabytes to work with (something Nintendo wasn't quite willing to give them, as shown in the N64), and because of how Sony's original plans incorporated the CD format into the game console, developers latched onto the new platform.

EDIT: Oh, and @Electrogecko, I didn't realize it. Sorry if I offended you. ;) However, those are still my opinions.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
lololololno. I shall pass on this. PSP had horrible controls, and even when the games were good (there weren't many of them) all I could think about was "Wow. This would be so much better if it were on a normal screen." Just accept defeat in the portable market, Sony.

AngelicSven

Aug 24, 2010
I'd be interested if it was complete remodel, the original PSP was one of if not the most uncomfortable handhelds/controllers.

Though, I kind of wish portable gaming would just go away. :/

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
If they have 3D visuals for this, people will get angry. Very angry. Plus if they did have 3D for the PSP 2 then that would just give Microsoft and Nintendo more reasons to bash Sony (e.g. bandwagon jumper, liar, etc.).

Also if it has PS 2 graphics it still won't compare to the 3DS, which supposedly is capable of running Wii level graphics or possibly better.

And to those who are complaining about the lack of a second analog stick... WOULD YOU REALLY PLAY A MULTIPLAYER FIRST PERSON SHOOTER ON A HANDHELD? If so WHY ARE YOU SUCH A SADIST? Then you also have to think about it from Sony's perspective. A second analog stick would probably create some issues with the placement of certain key machinations in the handheld, and if you can just have the developers find a way around using only one analog stick, why wouldn't you?

And Angelic Sven portable gaming will NEVER go away. Have you not seen the "IT PRINTS MONEY" picture for the DS? That's why.

Also if your name is a reference to Questionable Content that is quite an oxymoron.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Sounds interesting, I may or may not get the PSP2 if it peaks my interest, though I'm not much of a handheld person.

Snow Fire

Fluffy Neko Kemono
Jan 19, 2009
If it has 3D that requires glasses, I swear I will go into rage mode, and break a few truckloads of those 3D glasses. >_>

Teeth Kicker

Jul 13, 2010
The current PSP can practically handle PS2 quality graphics. Play "KH:Birth By Sleep" it goes pretty smooth and flawlessly while looking quite sexified. I have faith that this new handheld will support PS2 games...and then I can finally play 'Shadow of the Colossus' and 'Twisted Metal Black' on the go. :)

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Just make sure it's 100% backwards compatible.
Agreed. Although my games are on UMDs and I doubt they'll include a UMD drive considering what they did with the PSP Go.

Hopefully a PSP2 would make developers consider utilizing the Remote Play feature in the PSP/PS3. It would have been awesome to control Metal Gear MK II using the PSP. My friend would have been able to scout for me using that thing. Such wasted potential...

yanipheonu

Jan 27, 2010
Given the fact games like Dissidia 2 and Monster Hunter are coming out for normal PSP next year and TGS has so far not shown any new version, we probably not seeing it for a while. Maybe next holiday at the earliest.

I highly doubt the PSP2 will have 3D since they're pretty adamant about not putting it into handhelds, plus it'd be a conflict of interest to have a glasses free device when they're pushing with-glasses 3D, but who knows what'll happen in a year? At the very least, Nintendo will have a head start on this.

It will likely be more powerful than the 3DS graphically, though I wonder how far they'll go. Put the graphics too low, and the 3DS will seems so much better with the added 3D. Make the graphics too great and while the games will look amazing, they'll be a lot more expencive and take a longer time to develop for, which could really hurt the third-party support, especially since the PSP2 likely will not reach the same level of support the 3DS has. They really need to find a happy medium, and I'm not even sure if that'll be enough.

It'll probably be physical media/download. Sony was burned by the Go so download only is out, unless they really push it next iteration (unlikely).

It almost certainly will have dual analog. Thought this is Sony we're talking about, they could be short-sighted enough to not include it. Maybe touch screen as well, no idea what they'll do there.