Mortal Kombat, Postal And The Real Censorship Of Fantasy Violence

Jun 20, 2013
I had to stop reading only a few paragraphs in. Mortal Kombat, as much as it pushed the envelope for mature gaming ... was actually originally for kids. This can be seen in a bunch of old advertising, and the devs outright state so in an old interview (didn't come off as sarcasm to me). Not to mention some home versions came with temp tattoos, yeah because teenagers and young adults love that shit.

Edit: Not that I'm pro-censorship in anyway.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
InvisibleJim said:
A thought provoking article Lizzy.

Aside from Mortal Kombat pushing 'mass consumer gaming' beyond Sonic'esque family friendly cartoon adventures into the glorious pixelated violence of the late 90s - i.e. by servicing a'new' late-teens/young adult market - it is somewhat important to consider the value of controversy and how applying clear information helped the industry to 'get over' the problem.

The controversy surrounding Mortal Kombat ensured it would be a smash hit, no matter what its opponents did.

The ERSB, despite its manifold failures provided clearer information for purchases; although it is oft ignored, those purchasing the games have no-one to blame but themselves.

Perhaps we should add a 'has nice boobies and lurid japes!' tag to games to help regressives get over their recent scandal manufacturing malarky?
One time that I was in a game store I helped a lady that was choosing a game for a child (here in Brazil). She was unaware of the age rating. She thanked me after I helped her with that.

LysanderNemoinis said:
rembrandtqeinstein said:
For fun copy and paste the article into a word processor and replace violence with "sexism" or "misogyny" or "racism" or "offensiveness" or whatever other accusation words are being thrown around now.

It reads exactly the same.

The same show keeps playing out through history. Busybodys get their jimmies rustled by a creative product. Not because it intrudes on their lives but because they are made aware that something they don't personally approve of exists. Or because the creator of the product dares publicly express an opinion they don't approve of. Then the busybodys use whatever power they have to try to make it stop existing. They use any means they can including shame, force (usually through government), connections, fraud (false copyright claims, false moderation reports), mob intimidation, etc.

I don't see why people can't just leave each other the fuck alone. If you don't like a game (movie, comic book, song) just don't buy it. And don't waste everyones time spamming the internet telling them why they shouldn't buy it. Instead use your creative energy to promote products that support your position and worldview.

People need to stop pretending that being offended is some kind harm. If is a feeling that is made up in their minds and doesn't give them any special rights.
Amen to that. Offense is something that is taken, not given. It's only overly sensitive little snowflakes who go insane over something as trivial as what happens in entertainment and assumes that just because you read, watch, or play something that has some sort of explicit content that it's going to make you a racist/sexist/murderer/whatever.
Now it is like this:

http://fbende.deviantart.com/

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
A brilliant piece of writing. Damn fine work, well-researched and to the point.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
InvisibleJim said:
Grahav said:
One time that I was in a game store I helped a lady that was choosing a game for a child (here in Brazil). She was unaware of the age rating. She thanked me after I helped her with that.
It's important.

Clear and concise information allows any sensible buyer to make appropriate and rational decisions.

It's in all of our interest to acknowledge this information and ensure it maintains its quality and importance.
The aspects of gaming that in general are most concerning to people:

Sex, violence, drugs, etc... Covered by the ESRB.

Complexity: A minor one but relevant. A complicated game is no good for a child and non english and non japanese speakers have their enjoyment limited.

Addiction: This is the big one, together with internet or TV addiction. New media gives an easy reward sensation so it is easy to get addicted. Limit your children hours to television, avoid Skinner Box games (random loot), stay the fuck away from freemium and give favor to games where you can play with someone next to you (Wii U is good for that).

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
blackrave said:
I don't get it.
Where the fuck are these morality enforcers when another Saw movie comes out?
Watch all 7.5 movies and then play Postal2 (takes aprox. same time to finish game)
Now honestly answer, which is worse violence-vise?
They are making sure the rated version has their most disturbing scenes cut out. Do you think movies are 100% free of censorship? Don't fool yourself.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
CaitSeith said:
blackrave said:
I don't get it.
Where the fuck are these morality enforcers when another Saw movie comes out?
Watch all 7.5 movies and then play Postal2 (takes aprox. same time to finish game)
Now honestly answer, which is worse violence-vise?
They are making sure the rated version has their most disturbing scenes cut out. Do you think movies are 100% free of censorship? Don't fool yourself.
Slasher movies are being censored?
Then what's the point?
Isn't horrific violence main appeal in such movies?
Mind you, I'm not fan of such movies (have seen few though) so my understanding may be limited here.

shitposting

Apr 14, 2015
Liz, just some advice, you're really pushing the whole "morality in video games" angle a little too hard. You should find something else to write about. All of your articles sound the same and thus far (the past three articles) you haven't really backed up your points very well. It just seems like you're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole with whatever it is that you're attempting with these articles.

geier

Oct 15, 2010
Muhahahhahaha .............
You think THIS is censorship? I'm from germany, lady!
When the original Legend of Zelda came out here, it was used as ammunition from the viedeogame haters as "brutal game with too realistic graphics". Yes, i talk about the very first Zelda game that came out in 1986 !
Command and conquer (1995) had no humans in germany, they were replaced by "androids". So they had no blood, but oil and when you crushed them with a tank you got a sound like a tin can beeing crushed under a car.
Postal was, and is still (!!) banned in germany. Doom (the original release from 1993 !) was taken from the banning list in 2011 ! And that only happend because the graphics were superseded by new games, NOT because the board did think it was a harmless game.

Nearly every game with violence is censored, cut or altered here. Don't get me started on games with Nazis in it. It is absolutly illegal for a game containing one swastika. In Wolfenstein (2009) they forgot to remove one, ONE (in numbers: 1) swastika in a diary and that resulted in a total ban of the game. It was illegal to advertise the game, sell the game, even possessing the game was considered as a crime.

So please, forgive me when i sound a little disinterested for small, american problems.

Aerotrain

Sep 7, 2014
Your best article so far on this website. I found the statement from Running With Scissors to be particularly relevant and you touched, if briefly, upon different kinds of censorship. It takes many forms, not just the constitutionally banned governmental kind, and private censorship campaigns are certainly not illegal but best countered by groups and individuals speaking out and organizing in defense of the threatened expression. The events your described, and the importance they had in shaping the industry, provide context and are certainly worth remembering and taking heed of.