Mortal Kombat Trailer Finally Explains Why Scorpion Hates Sub-Zero

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
Oilerfan92 said:
I'm sorry if I sound like a hardcore NOOb, but didn't Subzero die and have his bro take over and turn "sub-zero" into a "good guy" ? I haven't played any of the MK games before the stupid DC cross over (I always had the wrong consoles). And for whatever reason I thought that what I said above was accurate.
actually subbosidly according to deception (at least i think it was that one havent played in years) the original sub zero was actually Noob Saibot. and sub zero was his brother and all that.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Ghaaa... Why didn't they give Scorpion a twist on the revenge story?

What if Sub-Zero was selected as a vessel for a demon and he tricked Scorpion into taking his place (resulting in Scorpion slaughtering his clan and family himself)? And to protect himself, Sub-Zero had to make a deal with a God to gain his frost abilities resulting in him being the God's *****.

Sounds way better than the official stuff...

Desert Tiger

Apr 25, 2009
Sir John the Net Knight said:
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Yeah, I'm sure this is a huge disappointment to all the Mortal Kombat fans who are always looking forward to the excellent writing the series is known for.

In fact, since when have fighting games in general displayed anything close to narrative skill?
To be fair, MK has had significantly better narrative than most fighting games. If you want to see truly horrible narrative in a fighting game, you should go hang out with Mr. Tekken.
Heh. Devil Gene.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Grilled Cheesus said:
Incorrect.

True story is, there was this ninja cocktail party right. And Scorpion (at that time Steve) told his friend Sub-Zero (Bobby) that he was gonna go in this nice little blue number. Since all ninjas at that time only for formal black it was his way of getting noticed.
Bobby being a little prick showed up 10 minutes before Steve and stole his big enterance.
He then flat out refused to change outfits and called Steve a liar.

For this Steve condemned his soul and started studying fire jutsu vowing that he will make Bobby burn in his precious blue outfit if its the last thing he does!

True story.
I like this version more.

The trailer seemed so damn cliché it was almost painful to watch. You'd think rather than entering a tournament to kill Sub Zero he'd just do it.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Heh, was gonna post about how I thought it was already known, but hey, many people have beat me to it. So, what else is there to say...

Ahh, of cause. I could swear back after Armageddon, Midway said something about a gritty re imagining with almost none of the old cast. I recall a comparison made to Gears of War about the style intended. When I saw that whole live-action trailer thing, I assumed that was how it had progressed. Did I imagine all this?

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
This isn't news and it isn't new information. This has pretty much always been the reason why Scorpion hates Sub Zero, admittedly he did find out Quan Chi was actually the culprit but storyline wise that wasn't untill MK4.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
So let me get this straight... the reboot of the franchise tells the same exact story that the original series tells?

That's not what reboot means. This is a remake.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
Legion said:
Grilled Cheesus said:
Incorrect.

True story is, there was this ninja cocktail party right. And Scorpion (at that time Steve) told his friend Sub-Zero (Bobby) that he was gonna go in this nice little blue number. Since all ninjas at that time only for formal black it was his way of getting noticed.
Bobby being a little prick showed up 10 minutes before Steve and stole his big enterance.
He then flat out refused to change outfits and called Steve a liar.

For this Steve condemned his soul and started studying fire jutsu vowing that he will make Bobby burn in his precious blue outfit if its the last thing he does!

True story.
I like this version more.

The trailer seemed so damn cliché it was almost painful to watch. You'd think rather than entering a tournament to kill Sub Zero he'd just do it.
He did. Sub-Zero from MKII and onwards was actually Sub-Zero's younger brother. The elder Sub-Zero came back as a wraith, not unlike Scorpion, and was recruited by the Brotherhood of the Shadow. In this he followed under Shinnok, a fallen elder god. MKIII happens and he fights under Shao Khan. He later finds Smoke and decides to make an army of cyber-ninjas. Fun is had.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Whatever, my fighting games really don't need a story.
The "story" should be like this:
Boss does something bad, everyone is pissed. People go and kill it.

Anywho, I can't wait to play the game.

The Ruiner

Aug 18, 2008
I'm kinda curious if Sub Zero's Henry Rollins looking brother will show up. Although outside of maybe an alt SZ costume it could come off as lazy if Boon & Co. don't give him a separate move set along with fatalities. As for SZ vs Scorpion, while Scorpion drew me into the first MK with the easy fatalities, and special moves. Sub Zero quickly became my favorite fighter as I learned to play and still is to this day. I'm gonna be shattering Scorpion's frozen liver repeatedly when this finally releases!

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Mortal Kombat Trailer Finally Explains Why Scorpion Hates Sub-Zero

The most recent trailer for the reboot of Mortal Kombat explains why Scorpion hates Sub-Zero's guts, but it's pretty standard revenge stuff.

You might think that there is some huge reveal to the recent trailer from NetherRealm Studios about their upcoming Mortal Kombat. I mean, the game is a retelling of the first three MK games after the thunder-god Raiden sends a message back to his former self. We will finally understand why Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Lizard all look similarly and why the undead Scorpion has it out for his blue counterpart. But really, it's just because Sub-Zero killed Scorpion and his family. Sorry, that's all the writers could come up with for this one. Dead family, revenge - ho-hum.

Perhaps I'm being wrongfully hard on the designers, but I think that I'm bound to be underwhelmed after seeing the awesome fan-made Mortal Kombat trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101195-Mystery-Mortal-Kombat-Trailer-Will-Blow-You-Away]. If the remnants of Midway haven't hired the guys who made that short film to write and create the cinematics for the new game, then the powers-that-be are doing the gaming world a great disservice.

Then again, maybe the filmmakers behind that film are working on a Mortal Kombat movie that doesn't suck. That would be OK, too, I guess.

It's a good story, thankfully resolved in MK Mythologies.

The fan-made Mortal Kombat trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101195-Mystery-Mortal-Kombat-Trailer-Will-Blow-You-Away] however, I detest, and I hope that film never gets made. Sorry, Tacheron, but in my humble opinion, you're in no shape to make a video-game based film if all you're doing is taking away character and adding gore, which is still mostly non-existent in that trailer aside from the brief fight scene.

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but making two of the most vicious killers in MK, in this case Reptile and Baraka, who were a lizard-man and a demon-like Outworlder, into pure human killers, does not sit well with me, especially since they are so well known. Plus, Tacheron has said that the mystical elements of MK will remain if the film is made. If that's true, he shouldn't be altering those characters at all; they're not humans.

Recqdude

Aug 12, 2014
actually Quan Chi killed his family or clan members if you beat scorpion's ladder he is joined by his fallen commrades and they tell him that Quan Chi kiled his clan not Sub-Zero. Quan-chi made it seem like sub zero did it but subzy didnt so scorpion kills subzy thinking it was him but all along it was Quan Chi.

Mar 26, 2008
I thought it was Subzero's brother (Hydro?) that killed Scorpion's clan and family and Scorpion mistakenly took it out on Subzero. Or did Scorpion kill Subzero's brother thinking it was Subzero? I can't remember.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Eh, I already knew this information from the late 90s/early 2000s. Nothing new at all.