Most annoying cliche in movies

omega247

Apr 12, 2010
Antitonic said:
Is every cop "too old for this"? For once, can't there be a cop that gets shot, blown up, and falls off a building only to land on a car, who says "Oh my god. I am exactly the right age for this!"?
The first Die Hard?

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
A cliche you usually see in a horror movie. If a girl takes her top of, then there's a 95% chance that she's going to die.

Not to mention every other horror movie cliche.

The non believer dies.

There's usually an asshole, who does something that puts the group in danger, then later sacrifices himself to save them.

They always spilt up, and check out every single scream and loud noise they hear.

There is usually a girl that is sent of on her own, wearing hardly anything, and has the smallest weapon possible. (Ends up surviving.)

Then there is another person, who is sent of with a mass amount of weapons and survival stuff. (Ends up dying.)

If there is a doctor, scientist or professor involved, then they usually end up dying by there own creation.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
It was all a dream. You know the last hour and a half you just saw? Not only did it not happen in real life, but it didn't even happen in fiction. Bye!
Does that still happen? I thought humanity had outgrown that kind of rubbish.

OT: People who can't decide whether they want to be stupid or awesome. Case in point: Cameron Diaz in Knight and Day.
"I'm a screaming bimbo! Now I'm being useful! Now I'm screaming again! Now I'm in love with Tom Cruise! Now I hate him! Now I'm useless again! Now I'm saving the day!"

Fanta Grape

Aug 17, 2010
People can't aim. WHATSOEVER. I have the feeling the main villain is standing on the side shouting, "Yes, my trained army men, aim perfectly below his feet to make him feel moderately uncomfortable and discontent! I am a genius!"

Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Wanted, The Matrix. Pretty much any movie with bullets.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
The shoe-horned love plot. As in the kind that is rather, unneeded for plot advancement, hell even Avatar which used the love story to move forward could have used something else.

However nowhere is this pointless addition more glaring than Michael Bay's Transformers series. Here's a tip, I'm not interested whether or not Shia's bumbling cute geekiness wins him the heart of the girl, I'm interested in how the Autobots are going to get their shit in order and help save us from the Decepticons.

I came to see Transformers to see this guy:

masseyguy911

Aug 6, 2010
thenumberthirteen said:
It was all a dream. You know the last hour and a half you just saw? Not only did it not happen in real life, but it didn't even happen in fiction. Bye!
This, I HATE this so much in movies.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
I've never actually read, watched or played anything that ever does that.

Patton662

Apr 4, 2010
Micheal Bay. Also romantic sub-plots that ruin the movie, also known as the "Anakin I'm pregnant" effect.

LordBag

Jan 10, 2008
People that run away from something, following the direct course of it's path rather than stepping aside and letting it go past. What's all that about?

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
The idea that if someone hates/wants to change the world. That they're the bad guy.
That jerks should get the girl aslong as they've learnt their lesson by the end of the film.

Max_imus

Jul 8, 2010
Unnecessary love plots. And the way people calmly walk away from / stand by explosions behind them without even flinching. That is just not possible.

Canadian Briton

May 1, 2010
Shoe horned love interests and pointless conspiracys by the government that causes more problems then they say. Bonus points if the Protaginist is a Solider/Mercanery who falls victim to his own employer's conspiracy.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
"Who shot who?"
A struggle for a gun, then the camera only focuses on the two people's faces as we hear a gunshot, they both look concerned, then the bad guy goes limp and we see our hero holding the gun.

It's so damn overdone and not even engaging anymore.

Wandering hobo

Aug 5, 2010
manythings said:
icelich said:
manythings said:
Not exactly a cliche but certainly not a good thing for movies. Micheal Bay.

OT: Dark and gritty = Mature and thought provoking is something that should be abandoned.

EmileeElectro said:
I think he means when one party member is injured and tells the others to continue without them. "Go on without me!"

For me, the fact all villains have the same motives. Kill all people except a select few, start a new, better race.
Since when?

icelich said:
One of the most annoying cliche in movies for me is this dialogue:
A:I'm wounded.I cant walk you have to go on without me.
B:No i'm not leaving you alone.
A:You can't save me!
B:I'll remember you as a brave man/woman.
See this is a thing that I find more and more; What's the difference between a Cliche and something that really happens? Your example is a pretty bad one since that does happen in war zones. People have had to leave friends to die because if they didn't they'd die too, it's not just in the movies.

EDIT: An even better one would be Birthday parties are cliche. Cake? Hats? The song? Awkward drunken sex people regret? All Cliches but all things that really happen. Is anyone going to roll their eyes and say "How pedestrian!" when they see any of these things?
point taken
I admit I sound like a cock when I talk like this but I'm honestly not playing the Mr. Superior game.
Used to do that a lot.Then i fuguired i shouldnt be trying to prove stuff to random people not reffering to you.

Snipermanic

Mar 1, 2008
When the "good" guy encounters the "bad" guy, and there needs to be some sort of speech which always ends with the antagonist dying, despite having the upper hand to begin with. Just bloody shoot them first.

Makon

Jul 9, 2008
Bad-ass action chicks who display absolutely no hint of human emotion what-so-ever, under any circumstance. I know a few women from the service whom I really would not want to piss off, but guess what they got? Emotions! Hell, sometimes they're even MORE emotional than the non-bad-ass women!

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
"Yo, Mr. Scientist! Kindly get your nerdy ass over here and retrofit that giant alien death machine so that we manly man who get all the chicks can use it. No, I don't give a shit that you're a chemist specializing in gas-solid nanofilm nucleation, just fuckin' do it!"

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
The obligatory love interest. Especially annoying when it is obvious they threw one in for the sake of having one.