Most awesome national anthem?

Cmwissy

Aug 26, 2009
Yeah, so - What do you think is the best national anthem? The clue is in the title.

Personally I would have to go with one of these three -

Seriously, it's just horrible.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
I'll just say my own (the Netherlands), simply cause it's the oldest in the world, and therefore the truest.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I'm going to say France, simply because they are killing someone pretty much every other line.

It's better than the US anthem at any rate. Ours was written to the tune of a drinking song.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Even though I am a proud American, I'd have to say that the Russians have a pretty good anthem.
CoD: WaW, final level, making the final push to plant your flag at the top of the Reich with the Russian anthem playing in the background was epic. I played that mission over and over again just to hear that song.

rockyoumonkeys

Aug 31, 2010
The only one I know aside from my own is Canada's, and only because I used to watch a lot of hockey.

Canada's is still way better than America's, which sucks.

Simple Bluff

Dec 30, 2009
America's my faveorite. But that may be because I don't understand a fecking word of mine, and England's is the only other one I'm famaliar with.

But, to be fair, I don't think I like any.

Boemmel

Jan 1, 2009
Although I really like the European Anthem, technically, us crazy Europeans still have sovereign countries each with their own National Anthems :)

Also, I do no think the European Anthem is really used all that much in that function, I think if you really want to take an anthem with pan-european appeal, I think this one might be much better (although also not technically a national anthem ;)

<youtube=BgomX3qD-iA>

Cmwissy

Aug 26, 2009
Boemmel said:
Although I really like the European Anthem, technically, us crazy Europeans still have sovereign countries each with their own National Anthems :)
Meh, it's comparable to a Confederation, for example, I imagine if the South had won the American civil war, America would be a lot like the European Union......But with slaves.

7moreDead said:
*Stands up*
It's a shame England doesn't get it's own anthem, I mean, we could have England, Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland with their own, and then the UK with God Save the Queen.

Also, for any people in the Commonwealth, is God save the Queen actually played anymore?

Ruffythepirate

Apr 15, 2008
"America, fuck yeah" from Team America. Seriously USA, why have you not yet adopted that song as your national anthem?

PAGEToap44

Jul 16, 2008
Well, of course I'm going to say Scotland's, but we added a few more words to make it extra special... "GUESS WHO!!!!" and "WANKER!!!" Oh how I love rivalry.

C3rtainD3ath

Aug 21, 2008
Cmwissy said:
Boemmel said:
Meh, it's comparable to a Confederation, for example, I imagine if the South had won the American civil war, America would be a lot like the European Union......But with slaves.

7moreDead said:
*Stands up*
It's a shame England doesn't get it's own anthem, I mean, we could have England, Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland with their own, and then the UK with God Save the Queen.

Also, for any people in the Commonwealth, is God save the Queen actually played anymore?
Im pretty sure Englands national anthem is still god save the queen, but they had a vote and decided to play some peace/love song whenever one of their athletes win a gold medal. which i personally think is dodgy but meh. God save the queen was also Australia's anthem till like 1986 or summat.

OT: i think soviet union got a cool anthem and i also like Australia's. Its a an anthem that is basically saying "our country has awesome beaches" BTW that may be biased as im Australian...

Yarpie

Jun 24, 2010
The Russian one is just pure awesomeness. I have a soft spot for the Polish one myself.
As for my own, just no. It's just so boring and doesn't have enough "oumph" in it.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Cmwissy said:
Boemmel said:

7moreDead said:
*Stands up*

"Land of Hope and Glory" is pretty much an unofficial English anthem, and its a much better tune then God Save the Queen.

Personally, I think the best anthem should be the one that sounds best when sung by a stadium of people and because of that, Land of my Fathers wins hands down.