Most boring/difficult books you've ever read.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
To Kill a Mockingbird.

So many people throw praises at its feet, I found it very boring and it took me a while to figure out that main character was actually a girl.

Patrick Dare

Jul 7, 2010
The Great Gatsby. That was the only book I didn't read in highschool. I just found it incredibly boring.

Tamminga said:
Well Nietzsche was a challenge. And if educational books count anyting with the names Schödinger, Bohr and Heienberg in them.

EDIT: I just realized everything that's difficult comes for Germany.

EDIT2: Except Niels Bohr.
Add Heidegger to that list.

spartan1077 said:
The Crucible! I couldn't get past page 5...and I had to read it for school :(
I had to read that in school too. I didn't really find it boring but it bothered the fuck out of me how stupid they were. "Oh, that fire moved when you walked past...WITCH, BURN HER!!"

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
Any tragedy written by Shakespeare. Killing off half the cast at the end of the play doesn't make the play tragic, and it doesn't help that I need to constantly look at the reference pages just to figure out what the hell is going on. Update the language, and then maybe we'll talk.

Kaisius

Dec 6, 2010
RhombusHatesYou said:
Displaying my heresy here, I'll say ANYTHING BY TOLKIEN.
Praise God, Glory, Hallelujah!! I AM NOT ALONE!!!
I registered JUST to reply to this post!
I've tried to read The Hobbit several times, I get 75 pages in and he starts telling about Bilbo's 3rd aunt, 4 times removed, and why she's the reason for the Baggins reputation and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.......

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
It's not a book but The Wheel of Time series goes from fantastic to painful. Holy god that got so old that I wanted the bad guys to win.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
Um, I think its called Roar of Thunder, Hear My Cry. I read it in eighth grade. Was awful. Just another fiction book about how hard blacks had it in the south in the early 1900s. BORING. AS. FUCK. OK, FUCK WE GET IT! RACISM IS BAD! YOU HAVE BEEN ENFORCING THIS SINCE I WAS 2! I HAVE BLACK FRIENDS, WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT FROM ME!?

the-kitchen-slayer

Apr 16, 2008
I hate to say it... but the Narnia books. Great for kids... but when your a grim-dark teen and doing it for school? ugh...

Dyme

Nov 18, 2009
You can be glad that you are not German. Because if you were you probably would have had to read Effi Briest. Effi Briest is written in such a unnecessarily detailed and complicated manner that it is painful to read.

Here is the first sentence:
"In Front des schon seit Kurfürst Georg Wilhelm von der Familie von Briest bewohnten Herrenhauses zu Hohen-Cremmen fiel heller Sonnenschein auf die mittagsstille Dorfstraße, während nach der Park- und Gartenseite hin ein rechtwinklig angebauter Seitenflügel einen breiten Schatten erst auf einen weiß und grün quadrierten Fliesengang und dann über diesen hinaus auf ein großes, in seiner Mitte mit einer Sonnenuhr und an seinem Rande mit Canna indica und Rhabarberstauden besetzten Rondell warf."
Yes. One sentence.

The book I liked most in school was Romeo and Juliet. It taught me that the English language doesn't have to be as ugly as it is on the internet or in pop music.
Besides I always cheered inside when Shakespeare used German sentence structure, words that sound like German (for example "thine") or phrases that reminded me of German, such as being intimate/respectful depending on thou and you.

HerrBobo

Jun 3, 2008
Anything by Tolkien that is not The Hobbit, or LoTR.

The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson. It has a great premise; the black death wipes oyt 99% of the population of Europe, thus the European cultures and Christianity die also. The book follows several people to sevaral diffrent lives, right up to 2002. It was way to hard to follow and had too much religious elements and ideals in it for me. It was Eastren propaganda.

Mortons4ck

Jan 12, 2010
Nightmonger said:
also one book that I have made several attempts at is Atlas shrugged ( book biosock is inspired by) i just found it really hard to get into
maybe it's time for another atempt.
I believe Atlas Shrugged's narrative suffered greatly from the lack of Big Daddy's and Splicers.

The hardest book I've read was Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom! mostly because Faulkner's style is all over the place.

19th Century English literature is very droll IMO, but I've heard some of it (like Dickens) was serialized and you're only supposed to be reading about a chapter a week. So maybe I'm doing it wrong.

skitzo van

Mar 20, 2009
College Music Theory books. Generally these things are written by pompous assholes that determine what is good and bad music and can only provide examples from stale classical works. There's just too many to name.