Most difficult boss you've faced.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Lord Darcy Burroughs from Clock Tower 3

Thanks to the rather awful combat of this game this bossfight took me about 30 tries until i finally lucked out.

Vergil from Devil May Cry 3

After about one hour of trying him i pussied out and actually used healing items.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Bed of Chaos from Dark Souls.

He's not so much hard as he is a giant fucking pain in the ass. It doesn't matter how strong or skillful you are in battle, but simply how much luck you have.

It's basically just a giant plant monster rooted in the ground, and in order to get to his vitals you need to destroy a clutch of branches on both sides of his body. But he has two big ass tree arms which he uses to knock the shit out of you if you get close. If you destroy a clutch he spawns a giant flaming mantis arm and starts knocking holes in the ground, which the tree arms are more than happy to smack you into. All the while he's also spamming fire attacks. When both clutches are destroyed a chasm will open up right in front of him through which you have to jump down onto a branch path (while giant arms are still trying to knock you down the into the void) which will lead you to his vitals.

I remember once when I was at his vitals ready to strike and a fire attack fucking killed me.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
False King Allant in Demon's Souls. I know some people easily beat him without even wearing anything but dammit did he obliterate me, after about the thirtieth try I just said "to hell with it" and used that super cheap poison cloud tactic to kill him (I still feel so ashamed of doing that).

Pretty much every Ninja Gaiden boss also had me initially clawing my eyes out, especially that double bossfight you have to go through in number 2, I already didn't have enough health or items for the first boss let alone the second (even more impossible one) that immediately comes after and to this day I don't know how I beat them.

his1nightmare

Nov 8, 2010
Mhh..h.hhh...

The hardest task for me is actually labelling anything as "hard".
Well, maybe the final boss from Ys: Oath of Felghana (Galbalan, Nightmare (Inferno isn't that different).
Or maybe the VH version of the stage 8 story boss from F-Zero GX, played without snaking (again, what is "hard"?).

If true hardness allows unfairness, then you can pick any fighting game, its last boss and label it as the hardest. Shitheads who simply do nothing until you press anything and then react 1 frame later with the best possible counter (and I look especially at YOU, Calamity Trigger Unlimited Ragna)... are shit.

ultramarine486

Mar 27, 2012
Wow I'm surprised with all the mentions of Final Fantasy no one has even mentioned Weigraf or Elmdor from tactics. It's bad enough they require a high level of knowledge regarding the leveling and class abilities but the game save locks you forcing you to restart the whole game, or if your lucky a save or two behind, if your under leveled.

DanteLives

Sep 1, 2011
I'm gonna go with King Godwyn from DQIX. His first form was a piece of cake, but that second form was utter hell.

You get no time to heal, so keeping your party high on health is a priority.

His second form loses the vulnerability to Cattle Prod, which means Mercurial Thrust with a spear user is a must, other than that, i spammed Falcon Blade with my minstrel, and my thief was kinda useless, but used that 4 hit claw attack.

After i beat him, it was a welcome sigh of relief.

Zyxx

Jan 25, 2010
Jasper Batt Jr. from No More Heroes: Desperate Stuggle.
First form is nothing, third form isn't too bad, but that second form. That stupid hulked-up second form with its shitty nearly-undodgeable tornado punch, the instant-kill out a window, the teleporting, the... graaaaaaaah.

Lucky Godzilla

Oct 31, 2012
The capitol ship from FTL.
Goddammit I just blew up a third of your ship, how the hell did you regain all of your health!?

TheGreatKlaid

Jun 18, 2009
Easily Folon, Amie, and Giacomo from Baten Kaitos on that airship. They just beat me stupid everytime I actually refer to them as Team... well look at the initials.

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
My boss at the last job I worked at before my current job was a total... Oh wait... You mean _video game_ boss...

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
Ornstein and Smough from Dark Souls. They wouldn't be too hard by themselves, but together they become a tag team of endless pain. The moment you get a second to focus on Ornstein all up in your grill, Smough comes charging up and smashes you into paste. And if you try to divide your attacks to whittle both of them down, when one dies the other returns to full health with a plethora of new attacks.

And not difficult, but just plain annoying: The Fear from Metal Gear Solid 3. He would be easy to defeat if the shooting controls weren't so awful. He hops around from tree to tree, nearly invisible, and when you switch to First Person to shoot it's impossible to find where he's gone.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Shinji I'm loving the new avatar, drew it yourself I'm guessing?

EDIT: WHAT THE FUCK AM I TALKING ABOUT?

Dark souls bosses are Cake walks compared to the mighty Sarevok from Baldur's Gate.

He sits there with his lackeys looking all intimidating, getting rid of his companions is the first task. My best method for doing this is by using mind control spells on them, then using them to fight Sarevok himself. To tell you the truth they only cut a small chunk of his health off as he has 90% magic resistance so yeah.... Good luck with beating him first try.

The fight takes place in a big hall LITTERED with traps that will disable you COMPLETELY and let him wail on you, his martial prowess is unmatched okay, even the mighty Minsc cannot kill him without constant barrages of healing and buffs from your cleric(s).

Sarevok has a high attack speed and very high chance to hit you, when he does hit you, the damage is like being hit by a train. Put that all together and you have one of the most difficult bosses ever conceived.

ClockWyze

Feb 5, 2013
Jimmy T. Malice said:
Ornstein and Smough from Dark Souls. They wouldn't be too hard by themselves, but together they become a tag team of endless pain. The moment you get a second to focus on Ornstein all up in your grill, Smough comes charging up and smashes you into paste. And if you try to divide your attacks to whittle both of them down, when one dies the other returns to full health with a plethora of new attacks.

And not difficult, but just plain annoying: The Fear from Metal Gear Solid 3. He would be easy to defeat if the shooting controls weren't so awful. He hops around from tree to tree, nearly invisible, and when you switch to First Person to shoot it's impossible to find where he's gone.

I agree with Smough and Ornstein. It's like 2 bosses at once, although I had similar issues with the Maneaters in Demon's Souls, so there was similar pain.

And one of the "secret squirrel" bosses in FFVII gave me lots of trouble years ago, like Emerald Weapon I think. If I recall I was missing an important attack and silly me didn't know that and kept trying anyway.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
The heretic leader and Tartarus from Halo 2 were ridiculous on Legendary. You couldn't tell which One the heretic leader was and you have like 2 seconds of visibility before they kill you. Tartarus is just a God damned damage sponge and then he goes and summons other Brutes :(

Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 had some nightmare bosses as well. Even on Normal their not super easy. The first I played that game I got stuck on Omega pirate and Prime as well as Quadraxis and Emperor Ing. I actually "finished"the trilogy before I eventually beat them.

Anget Colslaw

Jul 26, 2012
A lot of bosses from the Metal Slug franchise but the top two are the third and fourth bosses from Metal Slug 6. Both take a hell of a beating before dying and have really difficult to dodge attacks. My only real strategy is to not die in their stages and take a veichle and a lot of firepower. The best part though is this is only on NORMAL. Set the machine to hard and see what hell is like.

Auninteligentname

Jun 12, 2011
I don't know if it's the most difficult boss I've ever faced, but it's the most difficult one that I can remember, and it's the metroid queen from Metroid II: Return of Samus.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
The first that comes to mind is Nyx from Persona 3. Yeah I only attempted him 3 times but the bastard has like 9 "forms," can attack twice per turn, and has a really uber-powerful attack that can strike the entire party that he won't hesitate to use for both his attacks that he gets per turn.
Never did beat the bastard.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
for me it was "Destroy" from Blue Dragon though more recently its been the final boss for ni no kuni who is very much like blue dragons destroy in that that they disregards their master and goes ahead and tries to Destroy the world anyways, and in how cheap they are as bosses, because both have insta kill move that they use liberally.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010

Out of all 9 co commanders to go against on Red Alert 3 these two are the worst I've ever faced.

Giles is mainly an air commander and always assaults your base with Vindicators and Century bombers while leading small armies to your front door which in turn keeps you on your toes while trying to defend your base and assault his.

Zhana like Giles is the Soviet's version of their Air force co commander but she tends to be rather brute in spamming twin blades and always bringing them back and forth towards your base to keep you on your toes along with enough bullfrogs to guard her army/base against anything you have in terms of air force.

Both commanders all in all are equally as annoying seeing as how they can control every single unit while you the human player can only control so much and not to mention RA3 AI knows what you are doing every second even from the start of the game which kinda makes things a little unfair.