Most difficult challenge you've set yourself in a game?

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
A lot of us probably have the weird thing where we set ourselves arbitrary tasks in a game to make shit more challenging for ourselves.

My question is, what is the most difficult task you've ever set yourself in a game? And did you succeed?

For my entry, it would be the task of assassinating all major targets in Assassin's Creed without setting off the alarm except when it's demanded by the storyline. I know it can be done, but I didn't manage it. I got up to the 2nd(?) guy in Acre then his ridiculously long death speech combined with annoyingly short guard patrol routes meant that when I was brought back to controlling Alair, the guards were alerted. Which sucks, cause I got all his archer guards down at GREAT effort and got right up behind him without being spotted.

Andarvi

Feb 28, 2011
Oblivion

no magic
no alchemy

It made for a very interesting game, albeit VERY difficult

boag

Sep 13, 2010
No killing in Fallout 3. I dont think ill ever be able to beat it like this, specially the dlc.

XRabie13

Jun 13, 2011
Kingdom Hearts BBS, level 1 all the way through, no abilities, default keyblade all three characters critical difficulty. That was harder than fox no items final destination.

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
I used to try and collect every Pokemon in each Pokemon game I have. Until I realised that I couldn't be bothered about half way through.

Other than that, I always try and complete campaigns on every single difficulty, although it usually takes a while because I take a break from the game and go back to it later.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Final fantasy 12 with only Fran.. Phew, that was hard.. I managed to get to the temple, then it became too hard. Had to use Ashe and Penelo eventually. :mad:

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
Andarvi said:
Oblivion

no magic
no alchemy

It made for a very interesting game, albeit VERY difficult
Really? I never used alchemy and hardly used magic (I didn't like it), but I didn't think it was particularly hard.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
I tried to beat mass effect 2 while my console was off.

It didn't work.

:C
I suppose using a PC would be cheating?

As for me... ADOM. ADOM as an atheist troll wizard (no savescumming, naturally). Yes.

It worked. Y'know, after a few hundred tries.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I sometimes like to beat levels only using a pistol, it basically comes down to me knifing or pistol whipping most of the enemies but it gives me the option to shoot some baddies but there is never any goddamned pistol ammo in any game.

TheSuperiorXemnas

May 18, 2010
XRabie13 said:
Kingdom Hearts BBS, level 1 all the way through, no abilities, default keyblade all three characters critical difficulty. That was harder than fox no items final destination.
Bwahaha, that must have been Extremely hard!

I basically did the same thing but on Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix+ instead. As if I didn't have a reason to hate Sephiroth more, (Lingering Sentiment was a Nightmare too)

Mannayz

May 6, 2010
Tried running through Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia as Albus on Hard Max Level 1 as soon as they were unlocked. Fresh start. No New Game Plus. Getting to the Castle is hard as is, but getting THROUGH the Castle is freaking INSANE. *Remembers the fight with Death* FFFFFFFFFFFF-

Raizekage

May 31, 2011
I didn't go out of my way to make the game more challenging but in Project Gotham Racing 2 I tried to get Platinum on all the stuff to unlock the best car in multiplayer. Lots of broken controllers were made, and I only got the 3rd best car. Didn't feel like blowing my brains out just to get the Platinum's.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
i beat FFVI only recruiting celes, edgar and setzer, the only 3 required party members.
i also did a 3 heart, no great fairy, OoT run.
also tried to increase the difficulty of SoTN with luck code for minimum stats, no weapons, no armor, no items, only required relics and required fights for minimum assistance and minimum level, and it was still way too freakin' easy. i determined the bare fisted punch is OP, so i thought if i fought the boss with a duplicator and the weakest item-weapon i could think of it would make it harder, but even killing him with karma coins was too easy. you just can't make that game difficult... o.o

Tibs

Mar 23, 2011
Do not die in a single match in Bad Company going for the objectives only. It took alot of tries, but I managed to do it and went 32 kills 0 deaths.

Another hard goal was to play a game of medeival 2 Stainless Steel mod without cheating once. I could not do it because I was addicted to cheat codes. :(

ObjectiveReality

May 18, 2011
Played through Jedi Academy using entirely imaginary "honour" rules for lightsaber fighting. If I recall they went:
* If you ignite your saber by attacking, you must *hit* or you are dishonoured.
* Every time you finish a fight, you *must* turn off your saber or be dishonoured.
* You may not take the "Force Heal" power at higher than level 1, because level 1 makes you kneel and bow your head (in respect for the fallen after you finish a fight).

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
Ironically I did that in Fable. Beat the game the way you'll leave the heroes guild for the first time, don't get any items, don't upgrade yourself at all and use no other weapon then your bow. That made the game quiet though to beat.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Fallout 3: Travel to each location with light armor, 4 guns and one melee weapon, and two clips/whatever-the-fuck for each gun. No fast travel allowed. Five Stimpack uses at most.

Patriot4Life999

Oct 9, 2010
Well this was a preset achievement in half life 2 episode but getting the little gnome statue into the rocket and launching it was a pain in the ass but challenging i had to start over multiple times...