Most Embarassing Video Game Confessions

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
We've all had those moments and nobody's perfect.
Whether it's forgetting controls, taking months to figure out a mechanic exists, or dying to a low level enemy. We've all had those moments, what are yours?

Most recent (and the incident that spawn this), I just bought the Fallout collection on Steam as part of a 50% off sale. I had really enjoyed F3 and FNV, but couldn't justify dropping the money being so strapped for cash.
So I get the game, get the colors to behave and dive in. I spend about five minutes designing a character and reading about the different stats. I head out the vault and get attacked by rats. I manage to kill one, before figuring out how to use the mouse controls. I escape the cave and head to the other vault. Half way there I get ambushed by Mantises. I loot a near by body to discover I had a gun the whole time. I try fending off my attackers with my new found weaponry, but die quickly.

In short, I died within the first five minutes of Fallout 1.

FourCartridge

Dec 27, 2012
I died within the first 5 minutes too. Fallout games in general are really lethal from what I played of them.

My confession is that I sometimes play as girls(I even ran a female Khajiit mage in Skyrim).

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
In Mass Effect, I remember looking at some explosive set in the environment and, while standing right next to it, thought, "I wonder what would happen if I shoot this." I think I walked away from the game for a little after being that dumb. Now, as if that wasn't already dumb enough, I ended up doing the same thing in Mass Effect 2.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
I got and hankering to play Neverwinter Nights so I loaded up an old save of a cleric character that was a few hours into the game. I had a lot of trouble and died a lot even with a follower and a pet helping me. My spells just didn't seem to be helping much. I must have spent 45 minutes trying to kill this mummy thing and when I finally did I leveled up. I went into my character loadout and realized I had a much stronger pet I could summon and a whole slew of spells that I could have been using the whole time. It makes me wonder how long I would have kept playing like that if I hadn't leveled up and noticed spells I could be using.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Well I still don't understand half of the mechanics in BlazBlue even after a few months of playing it almost non-stop... The only thing that I can win online with is pure arsehole keepaway Mu-12 1. Partly because I still can't deal with the insane corner pressure except with Mu because she has Origins to deny all close range attacks. It's why I have yet to even begin learning Makoto because how can I learn when I get instantly cornerlocked and killed because she has no range to even touch someone like Jin so he presses buttons at her until she dies.

I also don't have that many combos (read: any) but I started my fighting game career with UMVC3 which, at this point in its lifespan if you have not got at least an 80% combo you are pretty much the worst at this game. So my impression of what a good combo should look like is a bit skewed forever now I think.

People can and will 100-0 you in one touch online now and it's annoying. ArcSys games are about finding good setups and just getting more openings than your opponent so learning the swag combos is secondary.

I just prefer Persona 4 Arena, I think it has the best mechanics of all fighting games i've played. Yes, I am talking about how every single one of the cast has a GTFO move that instantly removes all pressure if your opponent is button happy. That is fucking brilliant.

Both the autocombos and the GTFO cost health to use so overly liberal use of them can outright kill you if you get touched once (looking at you Shuffle Time spamming Elisabeth)

Anyway, once you get somewhat good at the game it becomes apparent that more than half of the autocombos in the game are just bad.

Also i'm working on full Hamaon/Mudoon wins Naoto online. Yeah, i'm that guy.

The simplest hit confirms you have ever seen and it's easier than you would first imagine to burst down your opponent's Fate counter to zero

Stylish as fuck Mudoon confirm ready?

X,X,X Mudoon.

SWAG!

Pinkscare

Wearin' Steam Badges
Jul 19, 2013
I would skip playing Halo 3 with the guys back in the day to play Zuma.

Yep.

Spambot 3000

Aug 8, 2011
I spent I think a good couple hundred hours on Skyrim before my 10 year old brother showed me how to 'buy' words of power for my shouts with my collected dragon souls.

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
ShinyCharizard said:
I didn't know you could slide down ladders in Dark Souls until my fourth (or fifth?) playthrough.
This and the Run/jump. Did not not learn how to do it until Blighttown (first playthrough 18 hours into the game)

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
This isn't so much a gameplay slip so much as... well, I guess it can be called a guilty pleasure.
So, I have Metroid Other M. By the way, the story can end right there, owning Metroid Other M is an embarrassment of itself but it gets better...
Sometimes, SOMETIMES, when I've got nothing better to do, and it's in the Wii (for whatever reason) I hit the Play All button and just watch the cutscenes.
In it's defense, there are two good things I can say about that:
1. The story is actually pretty good. The whole "unraveling a big conspiracy" plot is actually pretty engaging. Or rather it should be, it's just that it's execution was so poor.
2. It's one of only three games I have ever played to have a Play All button in it's cutscene gallery, the other two being Halo Wars and The Last Of Us. And I would really appreciate it if more games had it.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I used a walkthrough for Portal 1 *hangs head in shame.*

Only once though, I promise D:

Wait scratch that, there's an even more embarrassing one from the same game. In the earlier parts of the game where you only have one portal, yeah that early, I got stuck >.<. I gave up on that mission and forgot about the game for months only for my friend to do it for me like a piece of cake, which it was.

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
Nouw said:
Wait scratch that, there's an even more embarrassing one from the same game. In the earlier parts of the game where you only have one portal, yeah that early, I got stuck >.<. I gave up on that mission and forgot about the game for months only for my friend to do it for me like a piece of cake, which it was.
I see what you did there. :)

I was on my second playthrough of Vice City when I found out that you can shoot straight ahead of you while riding a motorcycle. Boy, that would have come in handy.

Lady Lucky

Bullet Dodger
Sep 4, 2012
This is really dumb. In Skyrim I generally prefer the "over the shoulder" view. For some reason the camera seemed too close to my character and I couldn't zoom away. So I was annoyed and put the game down for a week or so. My cousin came over and then proceeded to load my character and zoom out away from my player characters back and then asked me why I was only on level 5......
DAMN KIDS

baconbaby299

May 7, 2011
No matter how many times I start up Grand Theft Auto IV with the best of intentions, the cheats will always go on before the end of the game. Without fail.

absulute

Apr 30, 2013
triggrhappy94 said:
We've all had those moments and nobody's perfect.
Whether it's forgetting controls, taking months to figure out a mechanic exists, or dying to a low level enemy. We've all had those moments, what are yours?

Most recent (and the incident that spawn this), I just bought the Fallout collection on Steam as part of a 50% off sale. I had really enjoyed F3 and FNV, but couldn't justify dropping the money being so strapped for cash.
So I get the game, get the colors to behave and dive in. I spend about five minutes designing a character and reading about the different stats. I head out the vault and get attacked by rats. I manage to kill one, before figuring out how to use the mouse controls. I escape the cave and head to the other vault. Half way there I get ambushed by Mantises. I loot a near by body to discover I had a gun the whole time. I try fending off my attackers with my new found weaponry, but die quickly.

In short, I died within the first five minutes of Fallout 1.
Me too, I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?

edit: My confession is I bought a Wii U. And I like it.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
absulute said:
Me too, I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?

edit: My confession is I bought a Wii U. And I like it.
Well from what I've found, you start with a pistol, some ammo, and stimpacks. I haven't gotten a chance to try unloading on the rats yet, so fighting your way out may also end in death

Hieronymusgoa

Dec 27, 2011
There are a lot of games in which i died close to the start (mostly but not exclusively when i was young/er) and never came much further: Heart of Darkness, Another World, Mission Impossible, Low G Man and I couldn't pass the "what the heck" level in Earthworm Jim.

Apart from that: I have never played any Metroid game longer than an hour. I own this collection thingy for the Wii and had a NES and a SNES and still never played any of the old ones, too. I am pretty sure I have missed out on something. And i haven't finished Twilight Princess. One might say I didn't get past this fire temple.