Most expensive/pointless thing you've ever bought in-game?

automatron

Apr 21, 2010
What's the dumbest thing you've bought in a game, that cost a lot, but didn't really do anything?
I'm usually very cautious with my money, so I'm normally very good, but in WoW the other day, I bought a pet for a fuck-load because it looked pretty.
You?

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
On Dragon Age Origins I bought a super expensive sword because it was shiny, that was literally the only reason.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I spent millions of in game currencey...on a cape In runescape

thats not even the worse some people will spend 60+ million on a santa hat

I think runescape its the crowing example of spending huge amounts of money on pointless things

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Vault101 said:

I think runescape its the crowing example of spending huge amounts of money on pointless things
Aren't white holiday crackers in that games around 1,000,000,000 gold?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Judgement101 said:
Vault101 said:

Aren't white holiday crackers in that games around 1,000,000,000 gold?
isnt that more money that you can actually have at any one time? lol

THEMILKMAN

Jun 16, 2009
In game? .22 ammo in New Vegas, lot's of it. For some reason I convinced myself that the .22 silenced pistol would actually be helpful.

But with real money? Horse armor sadly...I was so wasteful back then.

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
Well, in Diablo 2 I spent up to 30000 G on some magic ancient armor that I thought I could turn into a crafted item. Afterwards I gave it to my mercenary, so I guess it's not a total loss.

Caffeine Rage

Mar 11, 2011
Horse armor in Oblivion. Granted, I got it on the free quest and the DLC came with my Game of the Year version I got on Steam a few months ago. But, it is completely useless. It just adds a bit to your mount's health and does nothing to reduce incoming damage.

Besides, if the horse dies; you have to buy the armor all over again. You can't take the armor off and put it on a new horse.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
...I think it was Dragon Warrior... 3? Maybe 4. There was a bikini you could buy that made terrible armor, but it was a full digit above the most expensive armor in price.
Yeah, that.

Resetti's_Replicas

Jan 18, 2010
If we're not counting all the junk from my Neopets days... It's be the Seasonal Furniture from Animal Crossing City Folk; 90,000 bells for a chair, my god what was I thinking?

Ryktes

Aug 18, 2009
Judgement101 said:
On Dragon Age Origins I bought a super expensive sword because it was shiny, that was literally the only reason.
I did the same thing in Monster Hunter Tri a while back..... only kinda worse. I bought the Golden Blade decoration for my guild house from the trade shop online. You cant actually use it in battle, so it just sits on one of the shelves in my guild house rooms, looking cool.

Took me 4 hours of grinding Lagiacrus arena battles to get enough Lagia coins to trade for the little bastard too.... but still, pretty glowy sword-thing on my wall. >:3

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
In the original stalker, I bought this awesome armor. I had enough money to buy an exosketelon (the best armor in the game), but this one look so much more awesome.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
So far?...I spent 130,000 cR in Halo: Reach for the MJOLNIR MK V helmet. It was cool, but I still thing my Spartan in full ODST gear looks better.

Biggest waste of actual money? Vanquish. Fun to be sure, but I should've waited for the price to drop below $40.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
In Scarface: TWIY I bought Al Capone's car, he Whiskey Ghost. It's the slowest, weakest car in-game, and it cost's 25million. I tried to take it off a jump and ended up sinking it. It costs 22million to repair, which takes a LONG time to raise.

Also, IT'S OVER 1 THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
Resetti said:
If we're not counting all the junk from my Neopets days... It's be the Seasonal Furniture from Animal Crossing City Folk; 90,000 bells for a chair, my god what was I thinking?
Oh, yeah, this.

I can't believe I actually spent my bells purchasing the Seasonal Furniture because "I thought it looked nice". >_>

Which reminds me, I was an idiot and erased my Wild World file that had some 180,000 HRA Points and all rooms, each of them themed and having a complete set, main room containing all the snowman furniture. Because I felt like restarting a new file. *facepalmheaddesk*

Wondermint13

Oct 2, 2010
In many cases. I have either lost count or never cared..

Costumes.

Eventually I'll play through something enough times and have enough gold or whatever and find myself spending it on costumes...
How does this enhance my gameplay experience exactly? And for THAT price??
Ooooh my character now has blond hair and looks slightly younger in those frilly pants or mini skirt.. and that stuffed animal costume reeeally adds to the humour of this game..
Yeh..
Costumes. Waste of time x

Discon

Sep 14, 2009
When I played WoW I'd buy raw materials for literally thousands of gold several times a week. I think I spent about 11k once someone brought me a huge load of herbs xD

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
ViewtifulJohn777 said:
antimaterial rifle in fallout new vegas.barter is 20 -__________-
Wait, that's pointless?

AMR is the best fucking rifle in the game, hands down. Worth all the caps IMO. Oh, right, that reminds me.

FNV, Monocyte Breeder. OMG REALLY I GET REGENERATING HEALTH MUST HAVE *Pays 12,000 Caps* Purposely damaged to test out. Restores 1 HP every few seconds. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU I WASTED 12,000 CAPS AND I SAVED WAY TOO FAR BACK