Most Frustrating (Non-Boss) Enemies in games!

Rayce Archer

Jun 26, 2014
Are the big meteors in Starbound an enemy? Because yeah.

"Oh cool, just finished my awesome farmstead on this new planet, hey was that an explosion OH HOLY FUCK NO JESUS GOD NO OH MY GOD IT KEEPS HAPPENING!"

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
Considering I have just completed the game for roughly the 8th time, I am going to go for the imps in The Rule of Rose. I suppose it really doesn't help that Jennifer is pretty useless to begin with.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Grouchy Imp said:
Archviles in Doom 2. You just manage to clear a room of demons before running out of ammo and then along comes this beige bastard resurrecting everything he can get his thrice-cursed mitts on.
It wouldn't even be so bad if those guys weren't so damn fast.

I regard them as monsters that I "love to hate" though, and getting through tight situations with a bunch of them feels extremely rewarding. On the other hand, when one takes a peek of you and does their almost unavoidable, almost insta-death attack on you...

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
I am deeply upset that no one has mentioned THE Enemy. Then again it's not a popular series and one could make a clam that they are bosses but;

Etrian Odyssey(Any of them) - F.O.E.s

Right so some explanation to these guys. The Etrian Odyssey series is a first person dungeon crawler, like Wizdary or Bard's Tale. It's also half of what makes up Persona Q. You walk around the dungeon, killing monsters, getting levels and loot, and progressing through the floors.

AND THEN THESE *Insert insult of your choice* Show up. See the series has random encounters that jump you. F.O.E.s don't, they are assigned certain locations on the map. They tend to patrol a set area most the time; everytime you move, they move. So with planning you can get around them. Until the game changes it up. Some FOEs will move two spaces, over obstacles, or actively hunt you down. Oh and if you get into battle around one, you better know how they move. Battle DOES NOT STOP FOE movement. Each round of combat(after everyone attacks) counts as the player 'moving' so the FOE will move as well. Some will still hold their pattern so hope you are out of the way, others will actively run into you during combat. This means you can be in a fight only to be forced to fight a FOE because you didn't win fast enough.

So yes these things are a pain to deal with at times. And of course the cherry is they are insanly tough, usually being 4-5 floors of power ahead of you if not more. Want to see if you can beat the next actual boss? See if you can beat FOEs first. Each game(Even Persona Q) has their own spin on FOEs but these things are always monsters to fight against.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
Quite a few Soul's enemies. One in particular in Demon's. Can't remember it's name, but it walked around with a bell and could grab hold of you and was almost a one hit kill.

2npii

Aug 25, 2014
The Y.E.T.I.s in Ratchet and Clank 2! They were so badly programmed that they spawned the Insomniac Snow Beast Award, given to the team member who coded the worst thing that shipped for every subsequent game they made; http://www.vgfacts.com/trivia/1863/

w23eer

Mar 13, 2014
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days have really annoying flying enemy variants - I believe they're called Rhapsodies. They're small, quick and used ranged elemental (depending on their variant) magic attacks.
They were in previous KH games, but in Days they were programmed in such a way that makes them much more difficult to hit with physical attacks. They sort of track the players and ALWAYS hover *just* beyond your reach no matter how quick you initiated the attack. The only way to catch them is to back them into a wall or wait for the precise moment they fire an attack (they have a charge up period but are still mobile. They're only stationary for the split second it requires for them to fire an attack). The problem with this is that it's very difficult to do this without getting hit in the process.
Some magical attacks work well against them, but they spawn so frequently that you'll run out of MP very quick.

There's also a variant that's extremely large, that you're tasked with destroying on certain side missions. You would think being larger would make them easier to hit, but they're actually worse. They hover around the stage in a scripted path, but never engage the player, even if you attack them. They just keep going around in circles.
At first this isn't a big deal, but he gets faster as he takes more damage. I don't think he ever actually becomes faster than the player until he's REALLY low on health (at that point, he's even faster than your spells), but he gets fast enough that catching up to him after every combo is a massive pain.
The easiest way to defeat him once he picks up speed, I found, was to simply wait at a point in his path and hit him with a combo when he approaches.
But he has such a huge health bar... I can't even begin to describe the tedium. Days is a terrible game.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
For me it is Malboro from Final Fantasy X. If this guy hits you with his bad breath (which causes EVERY negative effect on you party) you may as well put the controller down, go get a snack and return to load your last save.

izzyster

Feb 6, 2013
Not sure if anyone mentioned them, but what about our good pals the medusa heads?

God'sFist

May 8, 2012
Malboros later variants in FFXII those are annoying as hell to fight slow, disable, stop, disease, oil, sap all at once.

Mages in Skyrim oh we are just gonna slow you down so you can't get close while we spray you with constant damage.
Every animal in skyrim and oblivion those annoying fucks would never go away and they could take huge amounts of health, Particularly saber cats and mountain lions. hate those things.

Cazadors and Deathclaws F:NV of course.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
El Cazador said:
Dark Souls 2 Archdrake priests and Archdrake sorceresses. "Oh, see that Bearer of the Curse, let's snipe her with our spells" Thousands of homing soul arrows come at me along those mace wielding priests with insane poise and health. That's the most annoying level in Dark Souls 2.
Fucking goddammit yes! I fucking hated that place so much that I even wrote a rage message on the ground. Though I think it's not the enemies themselves that make it annoying, but the environment they're in as well. If they were in an open field on like a castle hall they wouldn't be so bad, but when you have an open space where 95% of the area slows you down to a crawl, bottomless pits await if you stray too far and unseen enemies ready to jump up and bleed you to death from underwater it ceases to be a video game and becomes an exercise in blood pressure control.

I think the Archdrakes were worse than the sorceresses. Yeah, my character will just get stunlocked on his fat ass after one hit despite having the heaviest armor in the game, allowing you and your fuck buddy to tear away 80% of my health bar in one combo, and the rest will be taken by the homing soul arrow you won't be able to dodge, because your character is too amazed at his utter failure as an existential being and just stand there gorping rrarahgrkjahnsklhd.nalkkjlsnvblskngvl!!!!!!!!!!!

Though I found one enemy I probably hated even more in the Dragon Shrine, thank god there were no more of them in the game: the dragon keepers with the giant hammers and greatswords. I tried to count how long the hammer wielders' combo was, but I couldn't figure when it was supposed to start and end. Unstunnable behemoths that absolutely crush you with a non-stop combo, or slice off a quarter of your health bar with unblockable strikes from above.

Also one of my all time hated enemies were those wraiths in God of War: Ghost of Sparta. Super fast, dodge about 60%of your attacks and then strike you while your attack animation is still playing out, leading to unavoidable damage. And let's not even mention their undodgeable burrowing attack that will lead you to taking damage no matter how hard you try. Fuck the guy who designed those things' AI and his family.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
I hate those stupid bomb-headed creatures from Psychonauts.... and let's just add every other animal at night in that game. How dare you now allow me to explore a landscape at my leisure, game?? D:<

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Shining Force
Any enemy that can put your party members to sleep with basic attacks.
Also, any enemy that is ridiculously good at dodging attacks.
Giant bats fit both of those.

Kaisikudo

Sep 30, 2009
The Baldur's Gate games have a huge list of regular monsters that can obliterate your entire party. In particular, any enemy that can mind control your party members (e.g. Mind Flayers) are annoying enough to make you rage quit the game... Unless you used some kind of divination spell and were aware in advance that you were going to be fighting them, there's just no way you'll be prepared to deal with it.

Oh, and god damn poison-attack enemies from any game ever.

*antidote, antidote, antidote, antidote, antidote...*

Mar 30, 2010
DizzyChuggernaut said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Archviles in Doom 2. You just manage to clear a room of demons before running out of ammo and then along comes this beige bastard resurrecting everything he can get his thrice-cursed mitts on.
It wouldn't even be so bad if those guys weren't so damn fast.

I regard them as monsters that I "love to hate" though, and getting through tight situations with a bunch of them feels extremely rewarding. On the other hand, when one takes a peek of you and does their almost unavoidable, almost insta-death attack on you...
Urgh, that LOS golden flame attack? I'd rather face a room of Revenants than a couple of Archviles, 'cause even if you can keep out if sight of one chances are the other can probably see you. I got to hate the things so much that they were always the priority one target when entering an area regardless of what else was present (which could be anything, especially using player-made WADs).

I agree though. Most satisfying corpses to stand over in Doom: CyberDemon, Spider Mastermind, Archvile. In ascending order.

Just Ebola

Literally Hitler
Jan 7, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
Novistadors (the bugs) in Resident Evil 4.

The very first time you encounter them in the sewers is actually really good, and that's because they don't fly. In every encouter that follows... they do.

The problem is that Novistadors are already "bruisers", meaning enemy types that can inflict a shitload of damage on you. But once they start flying they also become "annoyance enemies", meaning hard to target and distracting. And that combination... it's not swell.
I thought it was just me. I endeavored to play it a bit over the holiday and remembered how annoying they are.

Those guys rustle my jimmies like no other.

Toblo1

Jun 1, 2014
RE5: Reapers. Fuck those mutated bugs and their one-hit-kill grabs.....

Bayonetta: Grace and Glory. That uppercut combo hits like a truck, even on normal....... I'm actively dreading having to face Gracious and Glorious.

Final Fantasy IV: Trap Doors. One shots a team member RIGHT at the start of a battle, and you can't tell the difference between them and normal doors.

New Vegas: Deathclaws. At my current level and equipment, I can barely handle one.... and a map marker once took me through A FREAKING NEST OF THEM.

Terraria: Corruptors. Theres a reason I have the corruption biomes in my hardmode world completely and utterly sealed off with tall towers of corruption resistant materials. Because these F#@#ers will both shoot at you, AND their vile spit will spread corruption where it hits.....

Devil Survivor Overclocked: Any team combination that can cause petrification and also has Zan/Mazan/Zandyne. Because no SMT game is complete with a status effect that can also lead to one-hit kills.......

Captha: Sharp stick. Uh, I think I need something stronger than a sharp stick to kill these things......

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
FrozenLaughs said:
Cazadores in Fallout NV. I'll fight a Deathclaw before a Cazador.
This accurately expresses the nature of my grievances.

I remember running into a swarm of those blighters at about level 15, armed with only a lever-action shotgun and a service rifle... I did not know hate until that day...