Most hated water levels

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
Zack Alklazaris said:

Screw that level, truthfully screw that game.
I can not believe I forgot about that!! To hell with that level! At least I could beat the one in Sonic.

Mirror Cage

Dec 6, 2010
Pikmin. Fuck liquid in that game. Its quite possible that I just suck, but I can help losing a sizable portion of my army every time the Watery Blowhogs show up.

Even when it just sits in a puddle it gives me grief.

Kayevcee

Mar 5, 2008
The underwater sections in New Zealand Story were horrendous. You have a very limited oxygen supply (being a kiwi bird your lungs ain't that big), you move painfully slowly, you can't use your weapons, any baddie projectiles that can pass through walls can get you and you can't shoot them, there's 'orrible anemones that snap you up with pant-filling speed if you get too close (one of the earliest sections has you forced to jam your kiwi-self against the ceiling juuuuust out of reach of one and swim right over it as it twitches madly, deranged by the scent of your fear) and the strict time limits on the later levels make any exploration of sunken sections looking for lives or level warps an exercise in frustration.

Oh yeah, and you can run faster than the Turtle Of Doom that starts chasing you when you run out of time, but you can't outswim it.

Chalk me up as another fan of the Mario 64 water levels and their serene exploration attributes. Wet Dry World drove me bananas before I figured out how to do it, though.

-Nick

Lord Honk

Mar 24, 2009
Dire Dire Docks. Quite sure that's the cause of my aquaphobia. Either that or I was on the Titanic in a previous life. Still, Dire Dire Docks would be my first guess.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
Sonic 2 the industrial zone think its zone 2? with the purple water and shifting platforms my god does that make me rage i played it again recently and my blood was boiling lol

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
MOXron said:
But to answer the question at hand- imma have to go all nostalgic and vote for the first river level from the very first Crash Bandicoot. Have you tried to get EVERY crate in that level? It's almost an art form...

Keeping with the trend of Naughty Dog, it's not really a "hated water level" as such, but I always hated the big fish in the Jak & Daxter series. Everytime I was eaten by that giant fish for swimming toward the horizon, I died a little inside...
I remember the water levels in Crash Bandicoot Warped... man I haven't played that game in waaaay too long. Those were my least favorite levels, althoguh I wouldn't say that they were bad. I just didn't like being unable to move quickly. It also didn't help that I was pretty bad at them for awhile.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
I have Hydrophobia, and anything deeper than say 4'5" makes me freak out (when I'm in it). So pretty much any 3D game where you are fully submerged at any time. Ocarina of Time didn't bother me for some reason, and neither did Bioshock 2. Don't know why about OoT, but for Bioshock it was probably because the water was really clear.

I almost quit several games due to underwater sections. Mario 64 (fuck that eel), Metroid Prime (Pushed through but gave up at the forced backtracking.) Shadow of the Colossus (that eel thing almost made me quit), Oblivion and it's Giant Slaughterfish, hopefully there aren't any underwater surprises in Skyrim.

The only exception being TMNT 1 on NES. That was more difficulty than fear though

foxlovingfreak

Sep 9, 2009
DannyJBeckett said:
Surely the classic Labyrinth Zone form Sonic 1 deserves an honourable mention?
Thats just what I was about to say do to thr fact most of my playtherws end on that one level. Im also not to fond of the water act in the final level just before you face robotnick I thought it was way tougher then the actual final fight.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The original TMNT game's water level. Water level. Time limit. Seaweed that hurts you EERYWHERE.

Squilookle said:
Seriously though, I've never understood people's beef with water mario levels. I always loved them as a change of pace, and being able to go up as high as you want for once was a nice gameplay mechanic. In SM64 they were some of the most serene and peaceful stages in the game, and the fact that you could resore all your health just by getting to the surface? Munchbiscuity good.
In the side-scrolling games, I think it's mostly the way you effectively become powerless unless you have fireballs.

ManaCrazed

Mar 17, 2011
Legend of Zelda series water level were litterally created to make our gaming lives hell, especially in 'Link to the Past' and 'Majora's Mask. Seriously Nintendo should just paint 'Troll Face' in every water temple.

And 'Hydrophobia' where you had to swim down that elevator shaft, flipped me out!

Muffalopadus

Jun 2, 2011
leet_x1337 said:
Inspired by me playing Amnesia just before. I entered the Cellar Archives and I was like "Okay, no way back, but this isn't TOO bad...". Entered a side room, turned around, killed in two hits by something I could barely see. And now I'm too scared to continue.

Then I remembered that the water level tends to be the most annoying part of the game in every game that has one, and I decided to ask: What are your least favourite water levels in gaming history?
I literally uninstalled my game after I got to the water/cellar point. I was too scared to keep playing. >__>