Most impressionable anime

Sweet_potato1

Dec 17, 2010
Hey guys,

I just finished watching the Cowboy Bebop series (long overdue) and it was one of the best animes I watched so far. But the ending cause a little bitter taste in my mouth because in my opinion it was fast and predictable. So even though it was GREAT anime it didn't leave an IMPRESSION on me. Awhile ago I watched an anime (forgot the name) about a pop singer with two guardian angels? I don't know what they were but the series left a big impression on me even though it wasn't exactly my cup of tea. I didn't even watch all the episodes from the series and when it was done I was thinking about it for weeks. So I'm asking you if there had been any anime series/movie that got under your skin, took a hold of your soul and borrowed it when the series ended.

REMEMBER: I'm not asking what you think is a good anime in a sense, but one that left it's mark. And don't say Grave of the Fireflies either, watched it and didn't leave anything with me. I think it's because you knew what happened at the end at the beginning of the movie...

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Neon Genesis Evangelion. It was really very strange and probably more psychological than any western movie has been or every could be. It's been about 8 to 10 years since I saw it and I still catch myself thinking about it, trying to figure it out, because a lot of the character's actions seem to go unexplained, leaving it for the viewer to consider.

Then the final two episodes were...well it's really hard to describe...more psychology to be brief. I remember sitting on the edge of my bed, somewhere between 13 and 15 years old and staring intently at the screen (when usually I'm lounging on my bed, playing games whilst watching). It literally left my brain feeling fuzzy in my skull for 2 days afterward.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
It wasnt until I watched D.Gray Man that I took anime seriously, I used to be stupid and naive thinking it was all about schoolgirls, robots and tentacle rape. I guess it was the premise and overall look and style that got me hooked on it, plus the characters were damn good too. The Millenium Earl, best looking villain ever.

So I guess I have to thank the Dark Order for (ironically) showing me the light. Hooked ever since.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
Gurren Lagann. Elfen Lied's ending made me feel emotionally distant for about a day but Gurren Lagann made me unsure that I could ever be impressed by anything ever again.
I'm still trying to get a fix from the series through the movies.
GIGA DRILL BREAKER!!!!

mild spoilers*
<youtube=w6qTsuBX_6I>

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
Gantz, and it was not a good impression. I felt sick for several days after finishing it... something I only did because I was waiting for some kind of redeeming factor.

By the way, impressionable is not the word you want in this case. It refers to the ability to be influenced, not to influence.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Ummmm, didn't you already make this topic?

Well to answer again Rurouni Kenshin left a mark that still effects me to this day.

And Elfen Lied made an impression in the sense that it killed my soul with its wasted potential.

Sworm

Mar 15, 2010
Screamarie said:
Neon Genesis Evangelion. It was really very strange and probably more psychological than any western movie has been or every could be. It's been about 8 to 10 years since I saw it and I still catch myself thinking about it, trying to figure it out, because a lot of the character's actions seem to go unexplained, leaving it for the viewer to consider.

Then the final two episodes were...well it's really hard to describe...more psychology to be brief. I remember sitting on the edge of my bed, somewhere between 13 and 15 years old and staring intently at the screen (when usually I'm lounging on my bed, playing games whilst watching). It literally left my brain feeling fuzzy in my skull for 2 days afterward.
Wow... you actually watched it when you where that young? I watched it just recently (twenty) and it melted my brain and emotions. But still... it was absolutely worth it because I could plainly appreciate The Rebuild of Evangelion in all it's glory. Best. Damn. Anime. Movies. EVER!

oh and did you watch End of Evangelion? if you didn't I highly recommend it because it will probably make your brain even more fuzzy then the ending of the TV series.

Drakmeire said:
Gurren Lagann. Elfen Lied's ending made me feel emotionally distant for about a day but Gurren Lagann made me unsure that I could ever be impressed by anything ever again.
GIGA DRILL BREAKER!!!!

*video snip*
Wow... I actually watched that video with my jaw hanging... I know now, which anime I should watch next. thank you comrade!

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
Sworm said:
Drakmeire said:
GIGA DRILL BREAKER!!!!

*video snip*
Wow... I actually watched that video with my jaw hanging... I know now, which anime I should watch next. thank you comrade!
quick interjection, that scene was from the movie which is an abridged retelling of the anime so that scene isn't in the series though many things on par with it are (the anime has each general being fought one at a time the movie has all of them at once). I don't wanna spoil anything but the last 2-3 episodes alone ate up 40% of the show's total budget and every episode has at least one thing like the clip I showed happening.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Sweet_potato1 said:
Hey guys,

I just finished watching the Cowboy Bebop series (long overdue) and it was one of the best animes I watched so far. But the ending cause a little bitter taste in my mouth because in my opinion it was fast and predictable. So even though it was GREAT anime it didn't leave an IMPRESSION on me.
IDK Cowboy bebop left quite an impression on me. Maybe not so much for the plot but the virtue and pathos of the characters. And the soundtrack too. I still listen to that soundtrack.

I think one anime you should see is Paranoia Agent. Especially "Happy Family Planning." That shit was haunting yet strangely hilarious at the same time.

CarpathianMuffin

Space. Lance.
Jun 7, 2010
The first anime that really left an impression on me was Code Geass. Mostly it was the ending of the first season and me flying into a rage at the second season not being uploaded yet.

I suppose the most recent one that left an impression was Gunslinger Girl. I lasted well until the end, where a combination of things (I swear Beethoven's Ode to Joy makes me tear up everytime in everything that I see it in), where I just realized how fucked up their lives were.

pharaoh malik

Dec 1, 2010
Sweet_potato1 said:
Awhile ago I watched an anime (forgot the name) about a pop singer with two guardian angels? I don't know what they were but the series left a big impression on me even though it wasn't exactly my cup of tea.
Are you talking about Full Moon wo Sagashite by any chance?

Sweet_potato1 said:
So I'm asking you if there had been any anime series/movie that got under your skin, took a hold of your soul and borrowed it when the series ended...
I'd say watch School Days or Code Geass.

School Days is 13 episodes and Code Geass is like... 52 or something? (2 seasons) They left pretty huge impressions on me. The former in a sort of haunting way, and the latter... just really fucking moved me. You really ought to check them out. :3

Au Naturel.

Apr 4, 2010
Clannad for sure! I'm on season two right now, and it's beginning to do the same. Clannad change my opinions on people.

FLCL left a big impression on me as well. Behind all of the weird presentation are incredibly relateable characters and situations, and it left a big mark!

Welcome to the NHK also left an impression on me, I could relate to some situations in there too.

chainer1216

Dec 12, 2009
Berserk made me take anime more seriously, just the way its presented and the story themes rang deeply with me.

and one piece, if you can look past its goofy premise and art work you find a surprisingly deep anime thats hugely tied to the human growth through emotional pain.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Drakmeire said:
That show ended for me when they killed off Kamina.

The only Anime I hold as standards is Gungrave.

Drakane

May 8, 2009
Ruroni Kenshin (aka Samurai X) though the ending wasn't amazing to me the charcters left a mark.

also Samurai 7 and Ergo Proxy

Au Naturel.

Apr 4, 2010
DeadlyYellow said:
Drakmeire said:

Mark your spoilers. I was going to watch that soon...

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
DeadlyYellow said:
Drakmeire said:

I thought that was a great storytelling technique that made it possible for badass future simon to pilot a 10 million lightyear tall mech it angered some fans but not all storys should be happy.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Drakmeire said:
I thought that was a great storytelling technique that made it possible for badass future simon to pilot a 10 million lightyear tall mech it angered some fans but not all storys should be happy.
...When they were constantly surprised everything was a bigger mech. Didn't much like Nia either.