Most intense scene in a game *spoilers*

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
This has already been said and will be said more but the Mass Effect 2 finale. Virmire from Mass Effect.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
TheYellowCellPhone said:

Kill off a fun character in a cruel way.

That is the sign of a writer knowing how to mess with you.
That really took me by surprise, it's such a crazy, light hearted game most of the time. Worst thing is, it's kinda your fault. He was killed as revenge for actions taken against a rival gang.

The ending to metro 2033.

Fighting a battle with a mutant species WITHIN YOUR OWN MIND.

And then (very probably) the ending tells you you might be a mass murdering b******.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
TheYellowCellPhone said:

It was a very jarring change of attitude for me, I'm running around in a chicken suit one second, the next second I'm shooting one of my guys, very jarring indeed.

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
Valagetti said:
Ending of MGS3... I almost cried.
I actually put the controller down for a moment. The scene with The Boss and the flowers is bad enough, but the epilogue made me tear up, especially when Big Boss salutes. The ending of MGS4 had much the same effect (all 47 hours of it).

Catie Caraco

Jun 27, 2011
One game that's full of such scenes for me, and I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned here yet, is Dragon Age: Origins, and to a much lesser extent, it's sequel. Most of the Origin stories have a sucker punch in them, especially City Elf, even more so played as a female, and the Dwarf Noble and Human Noble origins. The Hespith/Branka sequence in the Deep Roads.. "First day they come, and catch everyone...." was also disturbing from a female perspective. The discussion with Riordan in Redcliffe and what follows... oh mah gawd.

In Dragon Age 2, there were two parts where my jaw dropped. The first had to do with the Qunari leader, can't think of his title, when Aveline and I went to have a chat with him, and the second had to do with Anders. "There can be no compromise." HAWT. DAMN.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Halo Combat Evolved: The flood's introduction.

You are the only supersoldier left to fight for humanity against the evil Covenant, you mercilessly slaughter everything in your path to get to the goal: Finding out what Halo was and how you could use it to win the war against the Covenant, even going as far to ignore the subtle warnings that the ring was dangerous, but now something is very, very wrong. You stumble into a deep underground facility, filled with dead bodies that shouldn't be there, and a marine turned psychotic at something. and then you approach the final room, and watch as the cutscene unfolds

Who are these things? Why am I in the room with them! AAAARRGGGHHHH!

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
The scenes from Saint's Row 2 and The Darkness that have already been mentioned but the most dramatic for me is either
Stunning acting brought this to life (especially the flash back).
He thought his daughter was dead only to forget about her entirely and then when he does see her again she's dying.

It's later followed by this:
In which Kaim's wife/mother of his daughter/whoever she is, distraught over the death of their daughter magically guards herself as a witch of sorts and tries to get Kaim and his crew to kill her.
At least Sarah was saved.
or
Faith.

Zoe is in the Coma still.

The whole ending was very sad. I like how part of the ending was tied together, while the rest was left open. I loved it. ^^

I Have No Idea

Aug 5, 2011
Portal 2's ending

When the ceiling opens up and the moon is just right there. I was like "Nowaynowaynoway"

Modern Warfare 2's No Russian level left me pretty slack-jawed. I never fired a shot at civilians, but it still was pretty intense.

First time I played Battlefield: Bad Company, my speakers were blaring and everything was exploding and a tank shot went right over my head....I literally ducked in my seat.

Half Life 2: Episode 2

When Alyx is stabbed by that...thing. I froze when I saw that.

God, games are amazing.

Hyperactiveman

Oct 26, 2008
Maybe a bit mentioned a bit too much but...

Bioshock: Andrew Ryan... Would you kindly, head off with a golf club.

But some others have been as gripping...

Saints Row 2: Too late to save Carlos beaten on the road by the brotherhood.

Gears of War 1: Kim get owned brutally by the hand of General RAAM.

FEAR: Perseus Mandate: Trying to save Chen from being sucked into the ground.

Star Wars: Republic Commando: Sev (07) gets taken away... Without any damn sequel to explain it.

Saboteur: Your friend (cant recall his name) gets owned by that nazi shit-ass.

There are more... Just leave it at that.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
for me, the Good Ending of inFAMOUS 2. My god, the voice acting with Zeke nearly drove me to tears!

As for the Evil Ending? Let me put it this way:

Pressing R1 was the most GODDAMN difficult thing for me to do in the WHOLE GAME!!

Amondren

Oct 15, 2009
Swifty714 said:
The normal ending to Fallout3. (No broken steel)
Ohhh yes now that was a satisfying scene. As soon as I put in the numbers I felt a sense of accomplishment rush over me.

thatonedude11

Mar 6, 2011
There were too many to count from Amnesia, the dark decent, but probably the most intense is the ending of Justine (the extra level released for Valve's Potato Sack). That was really messed up.

Liudeius

Oct 5, 2010
TheYellowCellPhone said:

Really? I just couldn't take that seriously because it seemed to happen just because he couldn't instantly remove the chain rather than because he intended to do it.

Personally I tend to have trouble when I'm given a choice and the choice is somewhat ambiguous, giving not clear explanation of what each choices result is (good, evil, in between).

tanithwolf

For The Epic Tanith Wolf
Mar 26, 2009
The most recent one I can think of is in Bastion, it has a few good ones, but I like this one in particular:
Near the end of the last level and you come accross Zulf knocked unconcious. You're given two choices either leave him to die, which feels like just punishment for what he's done, or leave behind the ridiculously powerful weapon and carry him back to the Bastion. If you choose to save him you are forced to walk past a load of enemies that attack you, while completely unable to defend yourself.

Funk Engine

Aug 12, 2010
Honestly, I cannot in good consciousness give this to anything other than Metroid Prime. More specifically, the part where you travel through the Space Pirate research lab, see all the metroids safely behind their shield walls, and then, once you're as far in as you can go... the power is cut. Backtracking through the dark lab with the thermal visor and fighting off the freed metroids is still, to this day, one of the most terrifying gaming experiences I've ever had.

Muh_Balls

Jul 18, 2011
The ending of Half-Life ep.2 it is sad, but it is the fact that it ended that made me emotional.

pirateninj4

Apr 6, 2009
The part in Medal of Honor (the newest one) where you are stuck on the hill with all those dudes swarming down at you in that broken down old house...that was pretty damn cool and intense.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Gray Fox's death in Metal Gear Solid. I must have played through that game about ten times to watch that scene. The things we had to do before Youtube, eh.

Also, I still regard the appearance of the first Colossus as the only moment in a video game that has legitimately made my jaw drop.

Legion IV

Mar 30, 2010
TheYellowCellPhone said:

I honestly think the Johnny grave yard scene was almost as bad, actually the Johnny house scene, holy crap such a silly game but the main storylines dark, really dark.