Most memorable opening line in a game

cp2u

Jul 28, 2009
"I know a lot of gamers out there don't have much patience. Least that's what Bishop, the dude at the video store said."

from No More heroes, easily the best Wii game there is, in my opinion

boag

Sep 13, 2010
"Our Princess is in Another Castle"
When I was a kid and I first heard this, I thought it would be a one time thing.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
"I remember the night of my twenty-first birthday. That was the first time I died..."

The first thing that you are exposed to in The Darkness. A black screen with Jackie Estacado speaking those words. Great hook to start the game on and brings back a lot of memories from the game.

breadsammich

May 5, 2011
"Awaken, my child, and embrace the glory that is your birthright. Know that I am the Overmind, the eternal will of the Swarm, and that you have been created to serve me"

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
gillnavisingh said:
I'm surprised no one's said "Fus-Ro-Dah" or "Stop right there, Criminal Scum." just yet.

its about the first line you hear in the game. the most memorable OPENING line..those arent opening lines unfortunately even though they are quite memorable lol.

shadowsandwich

Jan 6, 2010
Player 1 and player 2 god dammit game i dont want to watch a movie for 3 minutes i want to play the game!

feriwan

Aug 30, 2011
Taun We: Welcome, little one. This is your first day. Your designation will be RS-138. We expect great things from you. You have been born into dangerous times. A sharp mind will be the key to survival. But as often as not, it will be your inherent physical traits that win the day. And in this regard, you will be superior to your more common brethren. For you are a commando, something truly special. Your weapons, your armor, and most importantly, your brothers. The aipha of our world hunt in pods to bring down much larger prey. So too, will you join your brothers and become fierce hunters for the Republic. Now, join your pod, and embrace your destiny as their leader. Join Delta Squad: Delta 40, your foundation, a pure and uncomplicated soldier; 62, the heart and soul of your team; and 07, the fiercest hunter of all your brethren. You are each a piece of a whole person, and the Republic will call on you to defend, and give your lives if need be.

- from Republic Commando

Especially the last bit
'the Republic will call on you to defend, and give your lives if need be'
is pretty hard, but true...

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Aw, come one now! Morrowind, Bastion and Final Fantasy X are all already mentioned? No fair.

Steve Dark

Oct 23, 2008
"Welcome back commander."

Also while not the opening line, it's really the start of the game proper:

"Oh. It's you. It's been a long time. How have you been? I've been really busy being dead. You know... after you murdered me. Look. We've both said a lot of things you're going to regret..."

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
As most of the better ones have already been said, for it's flaws, this one was definitely part of a great opening-
"...truth is, the game was rigged from the start."

Polite Sage

Feb 22, 2011
"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became adult, I put an end to childish ways.

Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

-- 1 Corinthians 13:11-12
I don't know why, but bible quotes in games always sound cool.