Most memorable opening line in a game

synulia

Mar 1, 2011
It doesn't have to be the FIRST thing said in the game, but the line that pretty much says "Alright, now we're getting started", and sets the tone for what will follow. I got two picks.

"They were all dead. The final gunshot was an exclamation point on everything that had led to this point." -Max Payne

"I stick my head out of the gutter for ONE FREAKIN SECOND, and fate shovels SHIT in my face." -Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
"Wake up, you were dreaming... what's your name?"

newguy77

Sep 28, 2008
Swyftstar said:
Ron Pearlman's openings for Fallout games are always pretty cool.
Really. Really. The only one I could think of and you have to steal it. Fine, I'll go with Bioshock and Andrew Ryan's whole, I chose Rapture bit. Great start to a great game.

Gustof26

Apr 7, 2011
Fappy said:
Ninja'd dang it. Fine then I shall take your morrowind and raise you with the Fallou-dang it. Bunch of Ninja's.

"The last day dawns on the Kingdom of Ascalon."

Maleval

Feb 2, 2011
The Nietzsche quote from the intro cutscene to Baldur's Gate adds some nice pseudo-philosophic flavor to the whole thing.

SimpleChimp

Jun 11, 2009
"The more things change, the more they stay the same. Boundaries shift, new players step in, but power always finds a place to rest its head. We fought and bled alongside the Russians. We shoulda known they'd hate us for it. History is written by the victor. And here I am, thinking we'd won. But you bring down one enemy and they find someone even worse to replace him. Locations change, the rationale, the objective. Yesterday's enemies are today's recruits. Train them to fight alongside you, and pray they don't eventually decide to hate you for it too." by Com. Shepard

I don't care what you say about the game, that is a damned good opening monologue.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Fappy said:
Nerevar Rising is the alarm tone on my phone, so fairly often when I wake up, I can't help but think of that gruff voiced Dunmer saying that.

OT - Since I've been ninja'd I will go with "Welcome to the H.E.V mark IV protective system, for use in hazardous environments conditions."
Or "Heya, it's me, Imoen."

EDIT -
Maleval said:
The Nietzsche quote from the intro cutscene to Baldur's Gate adds some nice pseudo-philosophic flavor to the whole thing.
This too. Man I love those games.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Chrono Trigger when entering the first time portal. Not really a 'line' but it does set the tone once you exit the portal.

It's the most memorable for me due to the vast amount of times I've replayed that game.

Bagk Nakh

May 18, 2011
"Proper story supposed to start at the beginning. Ain't so simple with this one..."

Yomandude

Dec 9, 2010
Half-Life 2. That's all I'm saying.
"Rise and shine, Mister Freeman. Er, not to suggest you've been sleeping on the job," et al.

RADlTZ

Nov 19, 2009
Well seeing as Morrowind has been taken, I'm gonna go with Bioshock 1, not many other games come close to the Welcome to Rapture sequence. Plus, dat squid.

Nightmonger

Jul 1, 2010
"The right man in the wrong place.. can make all thee difference in the world"

also the opening lines from morrowind but those have been taken

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Always this, forever and ever amen;

EDIT: Oh..opening line. Well I look silly right now...