Most overpowered player character?

Mr. In-between

Apr 7, 2010
mrhappyface said:
denseWorm said:
Mr. In-between said:
I've noticed that Kratos comes up quite frequently on these forums. As I am a broke SOB, I am currently playing through ToS (just got Volt 15 min ago). I do not yet understand exactly how "powerful" Kratos is, but there have been multiple threads speaking of genocides, face-punchings and whatnot that have somewhat spoiled the character thus far.

Yes, I know that it's probably my own fault for not "keeping up on the consoles", but would it kill everyone to put in a little more effort at hiding the spoilers? For all I know at the moment, Kratos is a member of Cruxius whose motives remain unclear.
Like I said, I've never played a God of War console game... My assertion that Kratos is the strongest character is based purely off the fan-boy'ism you yourself have mentioned on this site and a video review of GoW3 i saw a few weeks back.
Well he's not necessarily the most powerful (he's as well balanced as Link in Legend of Zelda and Ratchet from Ratchet and Clank), but it's the way he does things. One of the most basic attacks lets you pick up one of the first enemies you fight and RIP HIM IN HALF! He just lifts up the guy, grabs his arm and leg, and simply pulls him apart like he was KFC chicken! You kill a Hydra by impaling it's skull through the skull with a ship's mast. You kill the Kraken by crushing its body with a mechanical drawbridge. It's done in such an over-extravagant and brutal manner that he SEEMS so awesome and godlike, but he's pretty well balanced.
Seriously man?

I mean, I'm not sure if successful troll is successful or if I am genuinely disappointed.

Raikov

Mar 1, 2010
Itachi from a Naruto fighting game on the Gamecube.

Homing, auto-attacking shadow-clones. And he can spam them.

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
FATE, my caracther without any sort of cheat got so overpowered that regenerates like 30% of his health per hit, so far its impossible to stop him.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Mr. In-between said:
Seriously man?

I mean, I'm not sure if successful troll is successful or if I am genuinely disappointed.
Nope, have a look at some videos on youtube to see how ridiculously powerful he is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOkT3Ki7GlY

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=exOlHAUZg1A&feature=related

foodmaniac

Mar 2, 2010
I personally don't think Kratos is overpowered as a playable character, but he's definitely overpowered cutscene wise. I don't consider his O moves to count as actually playing with him, since you basically just see him pwn the crap out of whatever he's fighting. Anyway, when controlling Kratos compared to someone like Dante from Devil May Cry, Kratos falls dramatically in terms of speed and power, but because of his unholy broken R1 button (guard), his defensive capabilities are far better than most.

Speaking of Dante, he suffers from the same things as Kratos, looking too cool in cutscenes and sort of failing outside of it. I suppose Dante only suffers from it when playing on any difficulty above Normal, seeing as the enemies become ridiculously powerful and tank (not so much for Hard mode, but Dante Must Die definitely).

A lot of video game characters suffer from the effect of being shown as stupidly strong or even godlike in cutscenes, and not be able to deliver in actual game play. Some examples are; KOS-MOS (Xenosaga), Lightning (FFXIII) and Cole (inFamous)

Then you have characters that are as strong or even stronger than they are made out to be. I suppose these characters are mostly Crouching Moron Hidden Badass characters, and then some are just supposed to be overpowered. Some of you guys have mentioned some already, but I'll list them anyway.

Crouching Moron Hidden Badasses:
Colin (Advance Wars)
Sazh (FFXIII)
Milanor (Yggdra Union)
Marshall Law (Tekken)

Just plain overpowered:
Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors)
Alex Mercer (Prototype)
Sturm (Advance Wars)
Any legendary Pokemon
Nero (Devil May Cry 4)

I think most of the Crouching Moron Hidden Badass characters are either poorly written, or the developers get a kick out of making joke characters overpowered.

mrhappyface

Jul 25, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
Mr. In-between said:
Seriously man?

Nope, have a look at some videos on youtube to see how ridiculously powerful he is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOkT3Ki7GlY

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=exOlHAUZg1A&feature=related
Those are just QTE where he looks ridiculously powerful. He's about the same as Dante, Viewtiful Joe, and Jack from Madworld in regular combat.

Calamity

Aug 22, 2008
Mr. In-between said:
mrhappyface said:
denseWorm said:
Mr. In-between said:
I've noticed that Kratos comes up quite frequently on these forums. As I am a broke SOB, I am currently playing through ToS (just got Volt 15 min ago). I do not yet understand exactly how "powerful" Kratos is, but there have been multiple threads speaking of genocides, face-punchings and whatnot that have somewhat spoiled the character thus far.

Yes, I know that it's probably my own fault for not "keeping up on the consoles", but would it kill everyone to put in a little more effort at hiding the spoilers? For all I know at the moment, Kratos is a member of Cruxius whose motives remain unclear.
Like I said, I've never played a God of War console game... My assertion that Kratos is the strongest character is based purely off the fan-boy'ism you yourself have mentioned on this site and a video review of GoW3 i saw a few weeks back.
Well he's not necessarily the most powerful (he's as well balanced as Link in Legend of Zelda and Ratchet from Ratchet and Clank), but it's the way he does things. One of the most basic attacks lets you pick up one of the first enemies you fight and RIP HIM IN HALF! He just lifts up the guy, grabs his arm and leg, and simply pulls him apart like he was KFC chicken! You kill a Hydra by impaling it's skull through the skull with a ship's mast. You kill the Kraken by crushing its body with a mechanical drawbridge. It's done in such an over-extravagant and brutal manner that he SEEMS so awesome and godlike, but he's pretty well balanced.
Seriously man?

Uh, One of you is talking about the Kratos from Tales of Symphonia, the other is talking about the Kratos from God of War.

Demons_Bane

Sep 9, 2009
denseWorm said:
Over-powered protagonists?

I suppose Kratos is apparently all-powerful... But I've not played that game and it's probably balanced so that it's not as easy as you might think it'd be.
I think kratos is quite balanced actually its just in a quick time event he looks like he is all powerful. Personally the combat in God Of War 3 was brilliantly balanced even on titan (hard) difficulty.

Kurt Horsting

Jul 3, 2008
For fighting games they are:
ST Akuma. Justice and Kliff from the ggxx series. Shin-Akuma, in any game he is in. The god tier of MVC2 (Sentinel, Storm, Magneto, Cable). Thats about all I can think about right now.

mrhappyface

Jul 25, 2009
Kurt Horsting said:
ST Akuma. Justice and Kliff from the ggxx series. Shin-Akuma, in any game he is in. The god tier of MVC2 (Sentinel, Storm, Magneto, Cable). Thats about all I can think about right now.
You should see how Jinpachi is like in the hacked version of Tekken 5. HOLY SHIT. STUN+FLAME=WIN

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
TheTim said:
LuBu from Dynasty warriors series.
Oh god, the nightmares from 4, i maxed out my charecters level and everything and i still lost to his 45 feet of hair!

OT: The main charecter from Persona 3, could use any weapon (Save guns and knifes) could summon any persona, and
had fucking death inside of him for years

Jeremy Hanna

Mar 20, 2010
mrhappyface said:
Kurt Horsting said:
You should see how Jinpachi is like in the hacked version of Tekken 5. HOLY SHIT. STUN+FLAME=WIN
YES. And also Anubis or whatever he's called in Tekken 6. The cheapest character EVER.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
The one in Fable 2...
Well, actually it's not overpowered, everything else is just underpowered...

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
mrhappyface said:
The Lone Wanderer, when he's at lvl 30 pretty much unstoppable. You can effectively kill a Super Mutant Behemoth barehanded and can even survive a direct hit from a mininuke.
This. Also, just a mininuke? I managed to survive an Experimental MIRV to the face. Sure, I was in VATS at the time, and straight after I was killed by an angry lead pipe wielding local, but still.

mrhappyface

Jul 25, 2009
supertoast099 said:
mrhappyface said:
The Lone Wanderer, when he's at lvl 30 pretty much unstoppable. You can effectively kill a Super Mutant Behemoth barehanded and can even survive a direct hit from a mininuke.
This. Also, just a mininuke? I managed to survive an Experimental MIRV to the face. Sure, I was in VATS at the time, and straight after I was killed by an angry lead pipe wielding local, but still.
VATS reduces your damage by like 80%. I'm talking about real time.