Most overrated games and game series......

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
TheKbob post=9.68476.630902 said:
Yah know, the old adage of if you don't have anything nice to say?

Really, threads like these only irritate fans of said series. You think they are overrated because you don't care for them, but the fans may not see it that way and may even find them underrated in some cases.

So really, just stop with these threads and I hope this gets locked. No Offense to the OP, we all can learn, but this really does nothing but start poo-flinging wars that just ends in people on probation or banned.
QFT, Normally I'd have gone off at this point, but I'm just ignoring it now.

TheKbob

Jul 15, 2008
Aries_Split post=9.68476.630910 said:
QFT, Normally I'd have gone off at this point, but I'm just ignoring it now.
Agreed, seeing how most of the series that have been named thus far I feel are in no way, shape or form, over rated. Then again I'm probably one of the few gamers with such a broad appeal in all gaming. There is barely a genre I won't play and even if I don't like a game or series, I know if it's at least good or not.

I want to call out so much stuff, but people really just fail to realize their opinion =/= mean a game sucks. You just don't like it.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Halo 2 and 3
Half-Life 2
Counter-Strike
Final Fight console ports (People fail to realize what horrendous ports they are, except the SegaCD one)
Heroes of Might & Magic 5
World of Warcraft (it has that overrated presence to it anyway)
Devil May Cry 2
Splinter Cell Double Agent and Conviction
Red Alert 3
Call of Duty 4
Battlefield: Bad Company
Assassin's Creed (it broke the flow for me perpetually with all the "glitches")
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Final Fantasy X-2, 12 and 13
Resident Evil 5

TheKbob

Jul 15, 2008
Cid SilverWing post=9.68476.630921 said:
Halo 2 and 3
Half-Life 2
Counter-Strike
Final Fight console ports (People fail to realize what horrendous ports they are, except the SegaCD one)
Heroes of Might & Magic 5
World of Warcraft (it has that overrated presence to it anyway)
Devil May Cry 2
Splinter Cell Double Agent and Conviction
Red Alert 3
Call of Duty 4
Battlefield: Bad Company
Assassin's Creed (it broke the flow for me perpetually with all the "glitches")
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Final Fantasy X-2, 12 and 13
Resident Evil 5
See, Like this. You included games we all know ALREADY suck (Devil May Cry 2) and you also include games that ARE NOT RELEASED.

I think you should learn the idea of overrated vs. overhyped vs. your opinion. XD

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
My opinions are perfectly justified, and I find all of these games overhyped and a majority, if not all, overrated simultaneously.

Btw, I'm an MGS fanboy but MGS4 has a little hint of overrated in itself too. I took note of inconsistencies in the game's plot in certain points that just don't make any sense.

billy-j

Dec 16, 2007
I'm going to jump on the hate train now but Halo is far too overrated for me to let it pass by without a mention

but as for one of my own i'd say the resident evil series up to 4, i just don't get what people saw in them

TheKbob

Jul 15, 2008
Cid SilverWing post=9.68476.630943 said:
My opinions are perfectly justified, and I find all of these games overhyped and a majority, if not all, overrated simultaneously.

Btw, I'm an MGS fanboy but MGS4 has a little hint of overrated in itself too. I took note of inconsistencies in the game's plot in certain points that just don't make any sense.
Title:

"Most overrated games and game series......"

What you said:

Sir, I'm going to have to beg to differ. This thread said OVERRATED, not hyped. Big difference. Plus, a game cannot be overrated (nor overhyped) if it has not even been released. Please give me your magic time machine so I may see the ratings on Resident Evil 5, right now. In fact, go get me a PC copy from the future and I'll give you the money, plus some for your effort. I understand the flux capacitor is an expensive item these days.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
@ TheKbob: When I say "overrated" I'm aiming for the infinite praise from the fans acting like they're one-line reviewing the game without constructive reasons. Besides, with games like this you can pretty much predict how the official game scores (GameTrailers and all the other reviewing branches) are gonna look like.

TheKbob

Jul 15, 2008
Cid SilverWing post=9.68476.630979 said:
@ TheKbob: When I say "overrated" I'm aiming for the infinite praise from the fans acting like they're one-line reviewing the game without constructive reasons. Besides, with games like this you can pretty much predict how the official game scores (GameTrailers and all the other reviewing branches) are gonna look like.
It's still not set in stone and cannot be overrated, which is opinionated at best which, again, reflects WHY these threads are pointless.

I find Halo, MGS4, Half Life 2, Crysis, etc. all to be rated perfectly. They are all AMAZING games. Crysis, to be underrated and too much flak because people just don't get it. Just because you don't like a game makes it overrated for everyone which is why threads like this only go to annoy others.

TheKbob

Jul 15, 2008
Cid SilverWing post=9.68476.630996 said:
Just you wait until the game receives its official ratings, you'll see what I mean.
Or how about I saw your terrible review of Uncharted and now know you hate the game because you are somehow offended by RE4 and RE5 because you think they are, of all things, racist. It's people of your mindset that are bound and determined to give video games a bad light. Your opinions are otherwise null and void. Have a good day.

Edit: Plus, RE4 deserved every GotY award it got and I have purchased it on 3 platforms. Amazing Title, best re-invention of series yet, and I cannot wait for the 5th one, which barring any glaring faults, flaws, or bugs in the game and/or design (and a shoddy PC port), it will probably deserve high marks, as well.

Geez if you wanna argue about a game being bad, choose a better battle like Two Worlds or something XD

Jonathan Hexley

Jul 4, 2008
Jumping on the "We Think Halo Is Overrated Boat". It's rather cramped, I must say.
And now, a surprise.
*Hold up flame shield*
Ico. Ico was shit in my opinion. Sure, I only tried the demo, but the demo was bullshit! Demo's are supposed to make you want to buy the game. The demo for Ico did the exact opposite. It made me want to stay away from the game like it was the plague. People are always saying "I love it, it's got beautiful graphics." Well sure, it may have beautiful graphics, but you're a sad person if you buy a game for the GRAPHICS. If I want to pay money to stare at something that's beautiful, I'll just go to an art museum.

Splitter

Jul 10, 2008
Quite a lot of the games I like I would say are over-rated.
I'm really getting into the MGS series but I think it's overrated.
FFVII & X are two of my favourite games ever, I'd still say they're generally overrated (or underrated depending where you look).
Most FPSs (especially WWII ones) are usually good but very overrated.
Rise of Nations is fun but not that great, I find the pace of it too inconsistent, its always too fast or too slow.
The only games I own which I would say live up to their ratings or exceed them are:
Age of Mythology (+ Expansion), Timesplitters (Especially FP), Ocarina of Time, Canis Canem Edit (bully) and the Prince of Persia trilogy.
Edit: And kingdom hearts.

type_zero

Mar 30, 2008
The Kingdom Hearts games, they make me feel like I'm three yrs old, they were boring and overly childish.

Zukhramm

Jul 9, 2008
The Half-Life 2 series. Maybe you need to be a giant FPS fan to enjoy, but I played thorugh it, Episode 1 and helf of Episode 2 and while it was fun, I don't really see why it's held so highly.

Portal, though it's not as much overated. I loved it, but it's an interesting and different puzzle game, and that's it.