Most pleasing game and most disappointing game this gen

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
I just got looking through my PS3 games and got to thinking that some of what I bought the system for actually turned out to be really lame and some titles that I never saw coming turned out to be the best so I wanted to start this thread, keep it simple one game this gen that you really liked and another that disappointed you.

Pleasing: Demons Souls, seriously for me this game came out of nowhere, I just heard whispers of this extremely difficult RPG and saw some copies being sold in a local store (despite them being imported since it wasn't out in the UK at the time) I took a risk on it thanks to coming into some money and...wow was I surprised, I'd argue that it's the best gameplay from any RPG's I've ever played, it had some minor flaws but they're brushed under the carpet from just how much fun it is to struggle through the game and bring down the huge boss monsters, it was very fulfilling to finally win a stage. (Note: just been sorting my finances out then I'm getting Dark Souls ASAP)

Disappointing: Final Fantasy 13, I've been a long time fan of the franchise and like the vast majority of the main titles (MMO's excluded)and this was a real disappointment, from the auto battle to the annoying characters it's like the game wants me to hate it. That's not to say it has no redeeming qualities (paradigms etc) but I was very underwhelmed and annoyed with this entry into one of my favourite videogame series of all time. I hear it gets better 10 hours in but getting to this mythical barrier that somehow improves the game is just too much of a chore when I've god so many other games to play through.

Reaver570

Jul 11, 2011
Pleasing: Dark Souls, for the same reasons

Disappointing: Brink, It looked good in all the media I saw it in, I thought the concepts for the character customization and free running systems were good, but after I played it the first time, I'm not sure if I remember picking it back up again...

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Most Pleasing: Infamous
This is my favorite game of this generation. It drops you in an openworld city with superpowers and gives you an excellent way to get around. The powers and upgrages are so satisfying. Its 2 years later and Im still not board with it.

Biggest Disappointment: Sonic the Hedgehog 2006
This game is the worst crime agaisnt humanity I have ever seen. After I finished Adventure 2 I was like "When the heck are they gonna make another console Sonic game" and Sega said "Here you go *****, hope your happy" NO. No Im not. The controls were crap. The story was weak. All together the biggest disapointment Ive had in a game until Brink came out.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Charlie Smart said:

Disappointing: Brink, It looked good in all the media I saw it in, I thought the concepts for the character customization and free running systems were good, but after I played it the first time, I'm not sure if I remember picking it back up again...
You said exactly what I was going to say.

Reaver570

Jul 11, 2011
Dansen said:
Charlie Smart said:

You said exactly what I was going to say.
Great minds think alike =D

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
Michael Farr said:
This game is the worst crime agaisnt humanity I have ever seen. After I finished Adventure 2 I was like "When the heck are they gonna make another console Sonic game" and Sega said "Here you go *****, hope your happy" NO. No Im not. The controls were crap. The story was weak.
I'm with you on that. Words can't describe how much I hate that game.

random_bars

Oct 2, 2010
Most pleasing: Brutal Legend. I first learned about Tim Schafer's games from Yahtzee's review of Psychonauts, I got the game on XBLA and thought it was amazing. Then I heard about Brutal Legend being released, got it and thought it was... Alright. It was fun, but the stage battles were weird and frustrating as hell and the game generally wasn't as good as Psychonauts.

Then I started reading online about the multiplayer which I never really tried, got the game out and gave it a go, and after I got the hang of it I effing loved it. And I also kind of realized that the reason I hadn't thought the game was that great in the single player is because it isn't - Brutal Legend is really foremost a multiplayer game, and while the single player is fun when you understand how to play the battles (which I didn't initially, like many other people) it's just nowhere near as good as playing against actual people. That was a year ago and I haven't stopped playing since.

Most disappointing: Gears of War. Or Gears of War 2, rather. I had heard about the first Gears game when it was released and how amazingly incredibly wonderful it was, but I never got around to playing it. Then Gears 2 was released and everyone said it was even better, and this time I did play it. And it was just... Meh. But the more I played it, the more I realized that it wasn't just disappointing, it was an utterly shitty game in general. There is absolutely nothing interesting about it, it's just the most bland experience I can think of that I've had in a game.

Yet everyone, at the time at least, was absolutely raving about it. To me at least, this is this biggest disappointment I can think of this generation, excluding games I was excited for but then lost interest after they were released and ended up looking pretty shitty in gameplay videos and reviews.

MellowFellow

Feb 14, 2010
Pleasing: Assassin's Creed (as well as the series as a whole). It was a new IP that I am really glad that has done well and is really fun to play. Each game in the series that I have played has been great.

Disappointing: Brink is the first to come to mind. I still play it from time to time, but every time I do I notice how empty it feels, especially when I play the "campaign." It seems like there is a story there, but we do not get to see any of it.

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
random_bars said:
Then I started reading online about the multiplayer which I never really tried, got the game out and gave it a go, and after I got the hang of it I effing loved it. And I also kind of realized that the reason I hadn't thought the game was that great in the single player is because it isn't - Brutal Legend is really foremost a multiplayer game, and while the single player is fun when you understand how to play the battles (which I didn't initially, like many other people) it's just nowhere near as good as playing against actual people. That was a year ago and I haven't stopped playing since.
Funny you mention this. Brütal Legend really was designed and programmed with the multiplayer first and then the single-player. Schaffer said he and his team like to make something they've never done before become the focus for their games. For Psychonauts it was platforming, for Brütal Legend it was multiplayer. Not the best strategy for making a game because of what you just said. However, it did leave for an awesome multiplayer game. Sold my 360, though, so I don't play it anymore.

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
Michael Farr said:
Most Pleasing: Infamous
This is my favorite game of this generation. It drops you in an openworld city with superpowers and gives you an excellent way to get around. The powers and upgrages are so satisfying. Its 2 years later and Im still not board with it.

This game is the worst crime agaisnt humanity I have ever seen. After I finished Adventure 2 I was like "When the heck are they gonna make another console Sonic game" and Sega said "Here you go *****, hope your happy" NO. No Im not. The controls were crap. The story was weak. All together the biggest disapointment Ive had in a game until Brink came out.
Infamous was very enjoyable, I know some people who didn't like it but seriously anti-fun brigade, it was a damn fine game, not perfect but I had a good amount of fun and that's what counts.

As far as Sonic goes, I think the problem isn't that the stories are weak but that there's story focus at all. I can understand that now they want to give some background to the game but giving them these fantasy settings is just lame as hell. He's a blue cartoon hedgehog who runs really fast, not much else to say.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
pleasing: Assassin's Creed series and the Mass Effect Series are tied for me. Both are genuinely great with excellent writing and game play that keeps dragging me back

disappointing: anything to do with star wars (the force unleashed 2 still makes me weep) Oh and fable 1 & 2, pack it in Peter, eh?!

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Pleasing: Fallout: New Vegas. It is buggy as hell and has its fair share of critics, but I love it more than any game I've played in a long time. The world and the gameplay always keep me entertained.

Disappointing: Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It just seems like little effort was put into this game. The combat is bad, the stealth is mediocre, the RPG elements - if they can be called such - are sub-par. The story would be predictable if it didn't follow every cliche I thought no one would be stupid enough to use. Nothing about the game comes together.

And everyone in Hengsha annoys me.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
Pleasing: Witcher 2- Loved the characters and the story. The last 2/3rd plot, quests and endings are completely different based on choices made in the first 1/3. Loved the maturity and the writing. Amazing graphics and strong challenging gameplay. Free DLC tops off a well polished game.

Disappointing: Elder Scrolls Oblivion: sloppy textures, lack of clear direction, complicated lvling system, dull graphics, boring voice acting/writing, fan mods required for certain bugs.

Runner Up: fable 3. Loved fable lost chapters. Waited until 3 to play on pc again. Was disappointed with lack of polish. Combat was boring, family was sorta pointless. King-ship should have been further fleshed out.

note: Oblivion came out in 2006
Witcher 2 in 2011.

Time for a new generation >.<

WFox

Aug 6, 2010
Pleasing: Dragon Age Origins (though definitely not DA2)

Disappointing- Dragon Age 2 comes as a Dishonorable Mention here, in that I was disappointed with it in comparison to Origins, but overall I enjoyed it. The most disappointing game that I've played this generation though, is Too Human. I loved the concept of that game, but it was just so awful. And I'm pretty sure it gave me headaches if I played for more than 20 minutes.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Most pleasing: Mass Effect. I freely admit that at first I only heard of it and bought it because of the promise of space girl-on-girl, and that was more than enough for me. Needless to say, I got something way better than I was expecting. I don't think I'll ever be wowed so much by a game ever again.

Most disappointing: Either Fable II or FFXIII. The disappointment was so great because of how hyped up I was for both games. There are other games that I dislike more, by a huge margin, but they weren't necessarily let downs in the way these were.

Shimmyshake

Mar 25, 2010
Most Pleasing: Metro 2033. I picked the game up on a whim when it was on sale from steam and damn was it a surprise! That game has got to be one of the most atmospheric FPS I've played in a while. I found myself actually caring for the protagonist a little bit, better than what I get out of most shooters this day. While some bits of the stealth get on my nerves, I've almost nothing bad to say against the game.

Most disappointing: Two Worlds (that was this generation right). God bless the gamestop worker who warned me about how bad that game was when I was trying to buy it. Rented it the next day and returned it in 5 hours. EVERYTHING about that game was horrendous.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Most Pleasing: Ohhhh, that's a toughy.

*Thinks about it*

Well, I'd have to say Fallout New Vegas. But Dragon Age: Origins is a close second.

Most Disappointing: Fable 3. Don't get me wrong: I liked Fable 3. But it did not live up to the hype. Same goes for Dragon Age 2.

Joe Q

Oct 18, 2011
Pleasing: Arkham Asylum. Really, after playing the last batman game (on xbox), I never expected it to be good. Now I'm working on my 5 playthrough and still loving it.

Disappointing: Splinter Cell Conviction. I know it's not a terrible game, but it had so much potential as an amazing stealth game and it just ended up being a polished cover-based shooter with some stealth mechanics. Not bad, but the most disappointing for me.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I have an xbox360. So

Pleasing : dark souls and catherine. Honestly i think dark souls is a bit more pleasing to me than catherine ,since i have 60 hours on dark souls and only 20 on catherine , but catherine is my game of the year this year.

Disapointing: this gen goes to ,Mass effect! Seriouslt wtf bioware , mass effect is the biggest pile of poo iv'e ever seen ! Just fooling! ( seriously guys it's a joke) . That tittle goes to eternal sonata. Sure the game features some of the best music i have ever heard in a video game. Sure the game has a deep and highler metaphorical philosophical story . But the game is terrible , just terrible! My runner up being Dragon age2 .

I would say Metroid other M for worst game this gen , but Metroid : other M doesn't exist.