Most pleasing game and most disappointing game this gen

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Most pleasing: Prototype, I've logged thousands of hours on that bloody thing, just wandering the streets, causing carnage, and fighting zombie crime. I've never actually completed it though... heh.

Most disappointing: Final fantasy 13. Need I say more? Hurumph...

=Frost=

Oct 6, 2011
Most Pleasing: Mass Effect 2. This game had one of the best and most fluid squad combat systems I've played. The writing was just amazing and the combat was hours of entertainment. The mining mini game was a bit annoying, but the fact that I probed uranus makes up for it :)

Most Dissapointing: Too Human. Holy shit was this terrible. I am a huge fan of norse mythology and was pumped to see a sci-fi spin on the whole mythology, but I think Yahtzee said it best as "they did a great job of turning the norse god into borring snobs." Baldur pretty much is the pretty one of the Norse mythology and isn't worth making a game out of. AND THE GADDAMN VALKYRS!

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
Shimmyshake said:
Most Pleasing: Metro 2033. I picked the game up on a whim when it was on sale from steam and damn was it a surprise! That game has got to be one of the most atmospheric FPS I've played in a while. I found myself actually caring for the protagonist a little bit, better than what I get out of most shooters this day. While some bits of the stealth get on my nerves, I've almost nothing bad to say against the game.

Most disappointing: Two Worlds (that was this generation right). God bless the gamestop worker who warned me about how bad that game was when I was trying to buy it. Rented it the next day and returned it in 5 hours. EVERYTHING about that game was horrendous.
Oh my, it seems we are twins seperated at birth.

My most pleasing was Metro 2033 as well, I bought it because I have an almost unhealthy interest in Russia and Post-Apoc settings, I thought it would be a fun aside that I would send back after I was done with it, what I got was what would become my favorite game of all time, one that told a smart and mature story that was engaging and actually meant something, and still managed to be fun and interesting from a gameplay perspective.

Two Worlds was also my most dissapointing, I really dig that kind of open world RPG game, I tried to like it, I kept telling my self "It will get better I'm sure" but it never did, about halfway through the game, I think, I just said "Fuck this game sucks dick," and then I started playing Oblivion, a much better game and I was happy again.

Honorable mention for me goes to Too Human, I started playing and I thought "Well it can't go any where but up from here," and to be fair it didn't, but at least it stayed consistently bad, as well as having an interesting setting and somewhat interesting retelling of a story I was already interested in, things that Two Worlds didn't have.

Legion IV

Mar 30, 2010
Cheshire the Cat said:
Pleasing: Borderlands.
It is just such a joy to play. You can just pick it up and get stuck in without worrying about story or motivations or any of that bullshit.
And since its not really a "tactical" shooter you are free to mute it and listen to whatever you want without fear of someone sneaking up on you and taking you out in 3 shots.

Disappointing: Final Fantasy XIII.
Yeah its pretty but its shit. Everything about it is just absolute meh. And don't give me any bullshit about how it gets better 20 hours in. Because yes, it gets better, but its still crap. And there is no excuse for a game sucking ass for 20 hours. If it takes that long to get "good" then it is a piece of crap game no matter what.

Special mentions:
Pleasing: Dead Island. Fantastic game but not the most pleasing as the later acts get kinda meh.
Disappointing: Mass Effect 2. Series went from a bad ass, over the top space opera to a 3rd rate Gears knock off with Dr Phil in space.
By that logic FF6 is the same way, it gets good but after like 10-15.

OP: Pleasing would probaby be, Record Of Agarest War. Just wow amazing, such innovation yet everyone dosent see it, cross edge would be close second.

Disipointing? Mass effect. Just utter crap, through and through, the second one was only made worse.

Sep 13, 2010
I was impressed by Mass Effect, mostly because it gives me something to point out when someone says "games are simple light shows for kids" special mention to condemned, and fallout 3.

as for disappointments I was going to say "Other M" but I have to give it to "record of Agarest war, Zero" I should do a full review of this game so I could give this game the beating it so needs.

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
GTAIV for both. I don't know, it was filled with content with all the random peple you meet, the internet cafes, assassination missions etc.. and long story mode. But it just wasn't that fun...

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
Ryan Kerr said:
Michael Farr said:
Biggest Disappointment: Sonic the Hedgehog 2006
This game is the worst crime agaisnt humanity I have ever seen. After I finished Adventure 2 I was like "When the heck are they gonna make another console Sonic game" and Sega said "Here you go *****, hope your happy" NO. No Im not. The controls were crap. The story was weak.
I'm with you on that. Words can't describe how much I hate that game.
there are words

Pleasing: Infamous 2 YAY more Infamous i love those 2 games to death

Disappointing: Modnation Racers i just couldn't get into it

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Pleasing: Assassin's Creed, I love that series to bits. I was skeptical when I played the first one since it was okay, but when I played the second, I was their whore.

Disappointing: Brink. That game shouldn't have sucked as much as it did, but it does. I don't know why, but as appealing as it should be, I felt like they didn't even try to make it as cool as they advertised it to be.

DesiPrinceX09

Mar 14, 2010
The most pleasing to me was definitely the assassin's creed series. Got the first game long after it came out to see what it was all about and I loved it. AC2 was announced and I knew I had to have it on launch day, so I got me the master assassin's edition which was worth every penny. Then brotherhood, great continuation with great gameplay and story and the multiplayer is the best ive ever played. It's the only multiplayer I've played consistently and passionately. The game still sits near my Ps3 because I still play a few ACB MP sessions.

Most disappointing was sonic 2006. As a sonic fan, I felt completely insulted by the bad gameplay and story. It was horrible, I returned it and never finished it.

LastHour1

Oct 17, 2011
Wow...this'll be tough. I've played a lot of games this generation...

Most pleasing: Portal. The first Portal over Portal 2 because it was something new. Portal 2 is a phenomenal game in itself, but it's not an entirely new idea anymore.

Runner up: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Say what you will, but this is the peak of CoD. The single player was amazing in itself, and as far as I know, didn't really set itself up for MW2. The multiplayer was very balanced, and I still go back and play CoD4 with friends to this day.

Most disappointing: Duke Nukem Forever. I don't think I need to say anymore.

Runner up: Crackdown 2. I had really, really, really high hopes for this game. Turns out they just remade Crackdown 1, but added zombies and a few new weapons and cars. Four player co-op could have been real fun, but I never had four friends that had the game at the same time, so that was a waste. I suppose if you'd never played the original Crackdown (my original 360 addiction), you could find a lot of fun in it, but to me it just wasn't enough. Also, it was way to easy to find all the orbs. Fly around in a heli and use the orb ping.

There are other games I absolutely loved, and others I hated with a passion, but those are the biggest four.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Pleasing: Demons souls... had the most "YES!" moments after finaly beating a hard boss after getting stomped to goo over and over again.

Most Dissapointing:

Eh.. kinda tough.. but i would go with White knight chronicles 2. Even thought it had part 1 included they totaly screwed over the balance making most of the weapons kept for axes/bows and staffs totaly worthless in multyplayer and the fact that your main char got his own knight only when the storyline was almost completed a real let down, also didnt helped that in multyplayer there can only be one knight at a time in battle.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Pleasing: Assassins Creed series, Mirror's Edge, Gears Series, Halo 3 and Reach. All really solid games that are very much of this gen and really couldn't have been done as convincingy on last-gen hardware.

Disappointing: Dead or Alive 4 and Ninja Gaiden 2, both games which are inferior to their prequels despite the eye-candy. Perfect Dark Zero, this game is just crap. Also, hey Ubisoft, where are all the new Splinter Cell games? You know, that series that kicked butt six ways til Sunday on Xbox, and then disappeared with a whimper on 360?

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
By generation do you mean console generation or year?
if console generation
pleasing: The world ends with you, mirrors edge, borderlands, crisis core, kingdom hearts birth by sleep, dragons nest, league of legends, and fallout3

Disappointing: final fantasy XIII was my biggest disappointment I have ever felt from a game, ever. kingdom hearts 358/2 days, the graphics were inexplicably bad and the voice acting a bit stiff. Fallout New Vegas (I heard a lot of hype and I went in expecting something a quite a bit more than I should have but I felt like it was more like a fall out 3 expansion that didn't let me keep my tricked out character which was a bit sad. Resistance 2 didn't nearly as good as resistance one. The Wii in general was fairly disappointing to me, the graphics felt worse than my ps2 and the motion control, while nice, wasn't as awesome I was led to believe. Rift, my friends made a big deal about how cool it was but I found it to be a glitchy wow that was missing half the content and was full of all the assholes who had been banned from WoW over the years.

Hmmm it seems the more money I spent on a game the more it disappointed me, I mean my top games I didn't go over 20 bucks with and I found amazing but rift was 60, FFXIII was 45, FONV was 60, and Resistance 2 was 60 for me... Hell two of my top games were free.

If your talking about most recently I haven't had any disposable income as of late so I've been getting by on free games like LoL or dragons nest which I found were both incredibly pleasing.

DarksideFlame

Feb 9, 2011
Most pleasing:

Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition, very frustrating at the start since I had to spend an entire day to get access to my extra content but it's was worth it and I got it for $30

Most disappointing:

Hmmm, that's harder to find out it's been a long time since played a properly bad game but if pressed I'd say Space Marine only played the demo though so I haven't gotten a final verdict on it but to quote Yahtzee "The demo's job is to make me want to buy the full game" and it failed on that point

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Most pleasing - Little Big Planet

Most disappointing - Little Big Planet

...Rather sad how that happened.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Hmm, I'll do it by console:

Most Pleasing

PS3: Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, just got it the other day and I am LOVING it, the soundtrack is great, controls are awesome, and once you chuck it into the cockpit view the immersion skyrockets. A very close 2nd goes to Catherine, love the story, characters and gameplay...yet to finish it.

PSP: Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, it was SO nice to get some backstory on the KH universe altogether, and they actually did the 3 stories so well, it blended fluently and answered a lot of questions while not sacrificing combat. Close 2nd to the 3rd Birthday, best shooter on the PSP with lots of twists and just overall great.

Most Disappointing

PS3: Atelier Rorona, I tried so SO hard to like this game; I've played Mana Khemia and all three Atelier Iris games and love them to death and I could not stick with this one. The combat was the main clincher, since you could barely do anything with the characters you started off with, and that skills used HP, I love the guys who created the game, I love the series altogether, but I could not like Atelier Rorona.

PSP: Holy Invasion of Privacy Badman! I like this game, the humour and such, but the gameplay is weird, and I haven't stcuk with it long enough to get used to the difficulty and style of gameplay, so I really need to give it another shot. I love all my PSP games, but this is the most 'disappointing'.