Most practical fighting style/martial art?

bulbasaur

Sep 2, 2008
so whats the most practical fighting style/martial art for real life fight situations?

In my opinion it has to be Muay Thai because they have the aspects of a contact sport like boxing or kickboxing, with far less restrictions. I feel being in an environment that allows you to hit an opponent(or be hit)is key for fighting in a real life situation. i also feel that the conditioning of shins provides you with firstly an extra weapon and one less target for an opponent.
To me it seems to allow for more variety in the way you attack a target, without being held down with restrictions. So in effect when placed in a real life situation, you will be prepared to fight whatever kind of attack comes at you.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
practical as in, fighting people who haven't been trained to fight?

anything - seriously, a karate teacher could give a guy 10 minutes of training, and that guy would almost never lose a fight where the other guy didn't have training. Same goes for pretty much any other martial arts.

If I were to be trained in a martial art, I would want there to be some good disarms in it. cause that's all you need, pull out your ninja fighting moves, other guy pulls a gun, then bam, you're fish food, a goner, brown bread etc.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
Um, that one.
That they teach the cops over in that one place.
Magna somethingerather.

3rd rung

Feb 20, 2009
think if you are trained well enought in any sltye you will kill some ass, but if you just want somthing you can pick up and hold your whole its called a beer bottle hits hard and changs into a knife.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Krav Maga.

Seriously, look it up. It's the Israeli Defense Forces standard martial art. It's insane and practical.

PrinnyGod

Sep 25, 2008
Sadly Drunken Boxing is not intended for use when drunk, that's just what movies tell you. In reality you make yourself appear drunk, while not actually being as such, because drunkenness slows reaction time, very bad in a fight...

Pumpkin_Eater

Mar 17, 2009
Krav Maga. Designed specifically for dismantling the human body in the perpetual war zone that is modern day Israel. Takes the most brutal aspects from a number of other martial arts and throws in some weapon training for good measure.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Anything genuine, as long as you learn and practice the actual applicable fighting techniques of the art. Find the Brazilian Jiujutsu teachers who'll teach you effective dodging, the Tae Kwan Do teachers who'll teach you takedowns...things like that.

Ultimately there's really no art that's applicable to every situation (though Krav Maga comes pretty damned close), so cross-training is a virtue. Ultimately, though, effectiveness is worth more than versatility, so...

blackarmy

Nov 26, 2008
Glerken said:
Um, that one.
Magna somethingerather.
Krav Maga.

I was just about to post that.

Fighting style created specifically for street fighting. To do the most damage in the shortest amount of time then to run. Has whole courses in disarming. Oh and training in crazy real world possible situations, i.e. If its dark, if your dizzy (drunk fighting!), if there is loud noise. If you are against multiple assailents, if you have to protect someone etc etc.

...edit... wow i was super late on that one. you guys post fast!

Yegargeburble

Nov 11, 2008
PrinnyGod said:
Sadly Drunken Boxing is not intended for use when drunk, that's just what movies tell you. In reality you make yourself appear drunk, while not actually being as such, because drunkenness slows reaction time, very bad in a fight...
I actually knew that! Points for me, I guess... :)

I am personally interested in drunken boxing, just for the tricking my enemies into thinking I am drunk.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
http://www.cracked.com/article_16595_6-great-martial-arts-killing-man-with-your-bare-hands.html

Read this. It should clarify exactly which martial arts are best.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
blackarmy said:
Glerken said:
Um, that one.
Magna somethingerather.
Krav Maga.

I was just about to post that.

Fighting style created specifically for street fighting. To do the most damage in the shortest amount of time then to run. Has whole courses in disarming. Oh and training in crazy real world possible situations, i.e. If its dark, if your dizzy (drunk fighting!), if there is loud noise. If you are against multiple assailents, if you have to protect someone etc etc.
Ya that.
Watched some video's on youtube a while go, and it looks like you could actually use it in a fight.

bulbasaur

Sep 2, 2008
Glerken said:
Um, that one.
Magna somethingerather.
i fink i know the one u mean...krav maga i don't know much about it other than it involves lots of disarms and tackles for weapons nd stuff.