Most Surprising Animatied Movie

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Titan A.E.
I was surprised that, despite all the hype and almost no negative reviews, it turned out to be quite shitty.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Ah... when I look at some of the movies Dreamworks have put out it kinda makes me sad. How they went from delivering crisp, beautiful animation with powerful music to Shrek I will never know.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Rango. Really, the entire movie was a surprise to me, it was hilarious and looked nice, and it's a good definition of a movie meant for children and adults.

My family hated the movie, I thought it great.
Willinium said:
I have to say that the movie that surprised my most was "The Prince of Egypt" not only for its compelling acting but also for the fact that it was an 'honest to god' good and entertaining religious film.
I love that movie, even today.

KingofallCosmos

Nov 15, 2010
Les Triplettes de Belleville is the best one I remember.

Also, grave of the fireflies. One of the best war movies imo.

Phoenix09215

Dec 24, 2008
I'm going to go with Grave of the Fireflies, simply because I had absolutely no idea what it was about when I first watched it and I didn;t know what to expect. It ended up being one of the best animated films I had ever seen, and I still consider it to be one of the most moving and depressing films I have ever seen.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
A Christmas Carol had impressive animation and design, great acting andgood use of 3D, it was scary in parts.

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
aba1 said:
ahhh yes thats right I thought it was a fun movie to be honest I am a fan of warner brothers animated films, remember batman the mask of the phantasm I mean awesome was that and the score on that film hits my gut everytime its so spooky used to creep the crap outta me as a kid.
Mask of the Phantasm is the best Batman movie ever made. Not best animated batman, best batman.

Sep 14, 2009
Eh as of late, Osmosis Jones has been a real favorite of mine, me and my friends really like to watch it for it's odd take on the human body and it really does a good job translating human responses to a funny cartoon like take on it.

also, just watched on hbo a bit ago, eight crazy nights, i forgot how much i liked that movie.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Salad Is Murder said:
aba1 said:
ahhh yes thats right I thought it was a fun movie to be honest I am a fan of warner brothers animated films, remember batman the mask of the phantasm I mean awesome was that and the score on that film hits my gut everytime its so spooky used to creep the crap outta me as a kid.
Mask of the Phantasm is the best Batman movie ever made. Not best animated batman, best batman.
I can get behind this.

protogenxl

Mar 5, 2008
aba1 said:
Salad Is Murder said:
aba1 said:
I can get behind this.
I have to lean towards BATMAN: UNDER THE RED HOOD

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
protogenxl said:
aba1 said:
Salad Is Murder said:
aba1 said:
I can get behind this.
I have to lean towards BATMAN: UNDER THE RED HOOD
really :O I thought it was good but that joker was deffinatly off. I mean the joker in that movie rarely laughed and was generally fairly calm and collected which felt very off to me. They also never explain how exactly the Jason managed to survive without any sort of ID or food let alone get funds to buy expensive equipment like that helmet the guns and knife he used not to mention all the other items he had.

Son of a Mitch

Aug 7, 2011
The most surprising animated movie I've ever seen, and probably will ever see in my life, is Grave of the Fireflies. Until that point, I never knew that animated movies could be SO FUCKING DEPRESSING! It's a really well done movie, but holy hell is it sad. It's more depressing than Schindler's List.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Willinium said:
I have to say that the movie that surprised my most was "The Prince of Egypt" not only for its compelling acting but also for the fact that it was an 'honest to god' good and entertaining religious film.
I think the reason why the Prince of Egypt worked was because it wasn't trying to be a religious film. In fact, it's probably a family film first and a religious film second. It's about two brothers torn apart by the whole thing when all they want is to be a family again, get things back to the way they were. There's no religious preaching or whatever, and it's stronger for it.

Most everything on this list is a great animated movie. I am just an animation nut, so most anything by Miyazaki, Pixar, and others are on my list of "awesome". Unknown ones like "Grave of the Fireflies", and some pretty decent fliks like "Summer Wars" always tickle my animation button.

The Iron Giant is a great animated film, just a great, whimsical tale of a boy and his [x]. The characters just work, you know?

How to Train Your Dragon was severely underrated. I just absolutely loved the movie, better than Toy Story 3 in some ways. The flying sections really made you feel like you were there with the characters, and the music just synched up with it perfectly. The whole pace was great, and the animation was gorgeous. It is severely underrated compared to Toy Story or anything that Pixar does.

It's a shame, because absolutely everyone always compares any animation studio to Pixar which I think is unfair. Dreamworks don't get the credit that they deserve. It's like everyone automatically decides that Pixar makes gold, and they certainly do make gold films, but it comes to the expense that everyone believes that everyone else is trying to just copy them.

Apr 24, 2008
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Rango. Really, the entire movie was a surprise to me, it was hilarious and looked nice, and it's a good definition of a movie meant for children and adults.

My family hated the movie, I thought it great.
I was gonna say Rango. I don't remember really laughing at it, but I'll be damned if it wasn't impressive. They captured the western feel really nicely, and the detail was mind-boggling.

Good stuff.

Wallace and Gromit and the Fantastic Mr Fox are also great, stop motion animation gives them an entirely different feel.

Apprentice1994

Aug 17, 2011
I thought that the movie "9" was going to tank, but then I went and saw it. I was surprised at how dark it seemed to be. It was certainly a different kind of animated movie than most that are made today, with cute little creatures getting savagely killed by machines. I enjoyed it, especially how most of the characters died by the end, not something I ever expect to see in an animated movie.