Most Underrated Weapon in Gaming

momijirabbit

Nov 2, 2012
I am going to ask you fellow Escapists, what is the most underrated weapon in gaming?

In my opinion it is the Zodiac in Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando, this weapon cost a hell of a lot of bolts and when used it completely annihilated everything on screen. Yet everybody seems to hate it because the ammo cost a lot or that it can't attack bosses, but who cares? It one hits everything.

Shpongled

Apr 21, 2010
Plasma pistol in Halo was always incredibly under-rated. Both in the campaign and multiplayer. A quick 1-2 shot from the plasma pistol followed by normal pistol/battle rifle could insta kill elites in single player, even on legendary, and any human enemy in multiplayer just as quick as any of the special weapons, which were rare as fuck and ran out of energy/ammo quickly. The fact that you could find plasma pistols anywhere made them reliable for multiplayer and legendary mode easy. Yet they were completely overlooked for the most part.

Brendan Stepladder

May 21, 2012
Shpongled said:
Plasma pistol in Halo was always incredibly under-rated. Both in the campaign and multiplayer. A quick 1-2 shot from the plasma pistol followed by normal pistol/battle rifle could insta kill elites in single player, even on legendary, and any human enemy in multiplayer just as quick as any of the special weapons, which were rare as fuck and ran out of energy/ammo quickly. The fact that you could find plasma pistols anywhere made them reliable for multiplayer and legendary mode easy. Yet they were completely overlooked for the most part.
Yeah, those things were nothing short of mighty. They were better than rocket launchers on Legendary.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
The Arclite EMP weapon in Hostile Waters. It fires a slow moving projectile at a low rate of fire that temporarily disables targets instead of destroying them. It sounds like the very definition of a useless weapon doesn't it?

Well it's not. It is an excellent siege weapon. In this game you can't just charge into the enemy base guns blazing because their turrets will tear you to pieces. You need to bust those turrets with a long range siege weapon and there are three choices; the Arclite EMP, the Warhammer artillery gun and the Rapier laser.

The Arclite is the cheapest, yet it can disable an entire enemy base pretty quickly. It may not destroy anything, but any assault requires an entourage of regular units to protect the siege unit, so it's not a big deal to send them in once the base is disabled. And it's not difficult to use either, as you can just let the AI teammates handle it, which they do well.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
The Lazy Blacksmith said:
Shpongled said:
Yeah, those things were nothing short of mighty. They were better than rocket launchers on Legendary.
I agree with the plasma pistol, I have been playing Halo 4 for a few nights now and that gun is my favorite for getting rid of the god damn Knights. I love it in multiplayer as well, I have destroyed or stolen more vehicles with the plasma pistol than with most of the heavy weapons combined. Somehow other players get a Ghost and become so splatter happy they don't notice my green glow until they are sitting on an unmoving vehicle with plasma grenades stuck to it.

Additionally I would vote for the Needler, I can wipe out Knights and Elites much faster with it then with the rifles. In multiplayer though I can't seem to get kills with it, other people can but I must just suck or something.

Brendan Stepladder

May 21, 2012
Treeinthewoods said:
The Lazy Blacksmith said:
Shpongled said:
I agree with the plasma pistol, I have been playing Halo 4 for a few nights now and that gun is my favorite for getting rid of the god damn Knights. I love it in multiplayer as well, I have destroyed or stolen more vehicles with the plasma pistol than with most of the heavy weapons combined. Somehow other players get a Ghost and become so splatter happy they don't notice my green glow until they are sitting on an unmoving vehicle with plasma grenades stuck to it.

Additionally I would vote for the Needler, I can wipe out Knights and Elites much faster with it then with the rifles. In multiplayer though I can't seem to get kills with it, other people can but I must just suck or something.
The Halo 4 Needler is my favorite weapon in the game, but it isn't really underrated, as it was considered a force in its own right until the SAW came along. Still awesome, though.

camerinian

Mar 16, 2012
The Blade Of Artemis from the original God Of War, if only because all of the attention it deserves is sucked up by the Blades Of Chaos. Sure, the Chaos Blades were cool, but being able to absolutely rip through enemies never got old for me. You could seriously do some major damage with that thing and, if there were enough small enemies around, you could rack up massive combos that the Blades Of Chaos would never be able to do. Yeah its range kind of sucked, but it honestly felt a lot more satisfying when it made contact with an enemy. It's just kind of sad that you only get it later in the game, otherwise I would have likely used it just as much, if not more than the Chaos Blades.

Also knowing how to use the Blade Of Artemis really does help you out in the final boss battle. Just sayin'

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
The .44 Magnum in Battlefield 3 is easily the best sidearm in the game. Everyone uses the MP412 REX or the M1911 because both are one-shots with headshots at close range, but the .44 has such great sights on it and it's a lot more lethal at every range.

The Boston Basher in TF2, because it's a straight upgrade from the Bat. You shouldn't be using it to hit people with, because you risk killing yourself with its only downside and because you should ONLY be using your primary, but it's the best weapon in the game for building Ubers and for Boston Basher jumping.

The Pistol from Bioshock: Infinite is often overlooked for the Handcannon in terms of power or the Repeater in terms of fire rate, but it was a great jack of all trades weapon. I think it's the best weapon for taking out Handymen because the Pistol is reliably accurate, fires as fast as you want, has decent amounts of shots per magazine, and its ammo lasted you the longest of any other gun. Other guns burn through ammo with little result or accuracy, most guns have awful ammo reserves, but the Pistol, man, it got it done.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
I'll be boring and say the Blackhawk in Fallout 3 (unique .44 Magnum). That thing 1-hits human enemies throughout the whole game, and is pretty damn effective against other enemies too.
Or the Hurricane from Mass Effect 3. Damn, that thing ripped shit up.

Skullpanda

Jun 12, 2009
The shotgun pistol in Killzone 3. Yeah, it had worse range than the normal shotgun, but if you're in a close range circle-strafe fight with someone, it was always so satisfying to just pull out your secondary and take them out in one solid body shot. Normal shotgun was better at this, yeah, but that just left you with a magnum/burst pistol to take out anyone past 5 feet away.

Throwing knives in Chivalry. Seriously. Watch how hard a Knight rages when your man-at-arms gets one solid thwack into them, then constantly backpedals while slinging daggers at them. Makes me wonder why so few people use them.

And finally, back to the multiplayer shooters...The NC's EM1 heavy machine gun from Planetside 2. You get extended magazines, and suddenly you can throw 200 rounds down range with one of the smaller NC cones of fire (The other two factions just generally have smaller cof's no matter what... -.- ). If you're halfway decent at aiming, you can suddenly take on 2 to 3 enemies at a time, as long as you use your shield and aim for the head.

ComandaKool

Jun 5, 2011
The Snub Pistol from the Gears Of War Series. (especially Gears Of War 3) Most players just consider it that shitty sidearm you spawn with, but get a full clip perfect reload and that semi-automatic beauty becomes the best damn weapon in the game.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I know people are going to tell me this doesn't count but pretty much all the weapons from Doom 3. They felt sooo... right. And powerful. However, talk about Doom 3's gameplay or even Doom 3 in general and you won't hear a word of praise about them. That really sucks. They deserve a lot more credit than that. If one good thing could be said about that game, it would be the awesome weapons.

Besides that though, I would say the Translocator in Unreal Tournament. Also the original Hidden Blade you had for the first Assassin's Creed. In combat I mean. With great timing, you could kill anyone in one button press with it and was literally indispensable for chasing down anyone. I wish, though, that more people noticed how awesome it really was that you could block, parry, and destroy all with one trusty, awesome longsword in that game. No pussy board or shield needed. None of that nonsense. Just a good ol' sword at your hip and that was all you needed to take on an army, Aragorn style.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
The laptop gun from Perfect Dark 64. Why aren't more games stealing this idea? It's so much fun to find hiding places for it. It's as fun as shopping for new stuff I reckon.

cthulhuspawn82

Oct 16, 2011
The pistol from Alpha Protocol.

I think it became less underrated when people learned how powerful the special ability was, but at least in the begining people were calling it a completely broken weapon. Once you realize its special traits; aim/fire from cover, shoot non-leathal rounds, and powerful boss killing final attack, it becomes one of the best weapons I have used in video games.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Nazulu said:
The laptop gun from Perfect Dark 64. Why aren't more games stealing this idea? It's so much fun to find hiding places for it. It's as fun as shopping for new stuff I reckon.
Also this, but game developers HAVE been paying attention to such concepts. You can deployable turrets in a lot of games but the Laptop Gun was the only deployable turret in a game that you could use as a gun itself I think.

Funny how how some turrets work the opposite way if you think about it. Like Halo's turrets, being deployed already and you can rip them off their stand to pack it around like a gun.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Arnoxthe1 said:
Nazulu said:
Also this, but game developers HAVE been paying attention to such concepts. You can deployable turrets in a lot of games but the Laptop Gun was the only deployable turret in a game that you could use as a gun itself I think.

Funny how how some turrets work the opposite way if you think about it. Like Halo's turrets, being deployed already and you can rip them off their stand to pack it around like a gun.
It's not opposite, that's very different. I want the pleasure of throwing it up not ceilings, tight corners, well anything really.

nvzboy

Dec 29, 2012
TheYellowCellPhone said:
The .44 Magnum in Battlefield 3 is easily the best sidearm in the game. Everyone uses the MP412 REX or the M1911 because both are one-shots with headshots at close range, but the .44 has such great sights on it and it's a lot more lethal at every range.

The Boston Basher in TF2, because it's a straight upgrade from the Bat. You shouldn't be using it to hit people with, because you risk killing yourself with its only downside and because you should ONLY be using your primary, but it's the best weapon in the game for building Ubers and for Boston Basher jumping.

The Pistol from Bioshock: Infinite is often overlooked for the Handcannon in terms of power or the Repeater in terms of fire rate, but it was a great jack of all trades weapon. I think it's the best weapon for taking out Handymen because the Pistol is reliably accurate, fires as fast as you want, has decent amounts of shots per magazine, and its ammo lasted you the longest of any other gun. Other guns burn through ammo with little result or accuracy, most guns have awful ammo reserves, but the Pistol, man, it got it done.
The m1911 is a two-shot kill but only if one of the two shots was a headshot... I thought I'd clear that up.

OT: In battlefield the scar-l gets so little love yet it's a surgeons weapon. I guess everyone is just too much in love with the m16 to care.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011

This here is the StA-18 Pistol. Standard issue sidearm of the Helghast military.

It's underated because of the relatively low firepower compared to it's ISA counterpart the M4 revolver. However it's staggered shooting, high rate of fire and longer magazine more than make up for this. In the hands of skilled players 1-2 headshots is all it takes to drop an enemy in the battlefield and with lower recoil and a faster trigger it's the pistol of choice for experienced players.

It's also friggin satisfying to wreck people across the map with it.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
The MP-443 in Battlefield Bad Company 2. It has a huge clip and does good damage, also has a crazy range to it. If you switch to it after a sniper bodyshot you can get kills from 400+ metres away.