Most unrealistic depictions of historical figures.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
So, I was spending an amount of time I don't actually want to think about catching up on "critical miss" comics, when I was reminded of something.

In civilisation revolution, Ghandi was a dick.

Seriously, renowned pacifist ghandi would be the first person to start a war. He would constantly hold ungodly destruction over your head, threatening that if you don't give him the technology of absorbant kitchen wipes, he will burn your cities, kill your children, and rape your cat.

So, what other historical figures have been depicted ludicrously in games, film, or anything else you can think of.

For the record, I ain't too sure, but I don't think Leanardo da vinci was anywhere near like he was in assassins creed, in which he was like some kind of italian Q. I just...don't see it.

Mr. Eff_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2009
The movie Braveheart as a whole was quite inaccurate. Limiting it to Wallace, he was not a peasant, never met the French princess (as she wasn't even alive at the time) and in every other depiction I've seen, he's had short hair and a beard.
Not that I'm complaining. It's a great movie. Artistic liberties were taken, and the overall story was told.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Poor Napoleon, everything shall forever think of him as the angry shorty. Hell, there's even a term called the 'Napoleon Complex' now, all because British propaganda liked to portray him negatively as an angry rotund lil' guy. In truth he was pretty much average height and build, only getting a bit chubby later in life when he was suffering from stomach cancer, as good an excuse as any to gain a bit of weight I figure.

I'll bet it would also sting if he knew his most famous battle and pretty much the only one most people know of his is Waterloo... aka the one he lost. Ouch.

Rin Little

Jul 24, 2011
Watch the movie Marie Antoinette with Kirsten Dunst. I know it's not meant to be overly historically accurate but still...

Dickdatduck

Aug 2, 2011
Sengoku Basara

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyUsUntBQCI

Almost everyone in that game is based off of a real Japanese historical figure.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009

i'm not entirely sure, as i never met the guy, but i doubt that's how Abraham Lincoln acted when he was alive.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
usmarine4160 said:
klaynexas3 said:

i'm not entirely sure, as i never met the guy, but i doubt that's how Abraham Lincoln acted when he was alive.
I knew him, and that is exactly how the civil war was won.
oh, well, my apologies then, for i'm not that great with American history

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Satire in its fucking finest.

Sorry non-Americans, but it's not my fault that Adult Swim hates you and won't let you watch this.

ScarlettRage

May 13, 2009
Rin Little said:
Watch the movie Marie Antoinette with Kirsten Dunst. I know it's not meant to be overly historically accurate but still...
same with the other Boleyn girl.. but Queens actions are greatly exaggerated.

It's Proven... By science!

Rin Little

Jul 24, 2011
ScarlettRage said:
Rin Little said:

I had to remind myself that it was just a movie based on a fictional book while I watched that film. I'm a total nerd for the late years of the Tudor Era.

ScarlettRage

May 13, 2009
Rin Little said:
ScarlettRage said:
Rin Little said:

I had to remind myself that it was just a movie based on a fictional book while I watched that film. I'm a total nerd for the late years of the Tudor Era.
Same. anything Tudor i read ^_^... Plantagenet and Stuart too, Just for the hell of it :)

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
Mr. Eff said:
The movie Braveheart as a whole was quite inaccurate. Limiting it to Wallace, he was not a peasant, never met the French princess (as she wasn't even alive at the time) and in every other depiction I've seen, he's had short hair and a beard.
Not that I'm complaining. It's a great movie. Artistic liberties were taken, and the overall story was told.
And The Patriot, and pretty much any other Mel Gibson film that's meant to be historical.

I've gotta say, the only historical movie/TV show/game I've ever seen that was genuinely accurate was HBO's John Adams miniseries. That really was a masterpiece.

gmergurl

Jan 27, 2011
Doclector said:
So, I was spending an amount of time I don't actually want to think about catching up on "critical miss" comics, when I was reminded of something.

Seriously, renowned pacifist ghandi would be the first person to start a war. He would constantly hold ungodly destruction over your head, threatening that if you don't give him the technology of absorbant kitchen wipes, he will burn your cities, kill your children, and rape your cat.

So, what other historical figures have been depicted ludicrously in games, film, or anything else you can think of.

For the record, I ain't too sure, but I don't think Leanardo da vinci was anywhere near like he was in assassins creed, in which he was like some kind of italian Q. I just...don't see it.
You stop the Assassin's Creed with da Vinci.... really!? Only finished the first one recently so in popped the second one and really.... da Vinci is where you stop it? Honestly, that's the one I can see the most. Would explain why most/all of his work was coded. He was really working for the Assassins :p It's all those PE's given to all the famous world leaders I want to give them a talking to. I mean, it's interesting and gives it story, but I can't see the reason that the American Revolution happened because George Washington (and only George Washington) was given a PE and could suddenly control everyone. I get that PEs are supposed to be really powerful and yadda yadda, but really? Every significant leader in our history had one and what you talk about is da Vinci....... hm. Well to each his own.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
The HBO show "The Kennedys" A bunch of channels rejected showing it because of its inaccuracies. You know its inaccurate when even the History Channel won't take it

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Just about everything in Rome Total War. Egyptians were especially jarring however. Despite being ruled by Greeks according to Greek norms and with armies organized along Greek lines, they were depicted as being 4000 BCE type Egyptians.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Istvan said:
Just about everything in Rome Total War. Egyptians were especially jarring however. Despite being ruled by Greeks according to Greek norms and with armies organized along Greek lines, they were depicted as being 4000 BCE type Egyptians.
What about the superpowered Urban Cohorts? So city security and social services equals greatest shock troopers in the Republic? Or the Arcani ninjas.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
dotn know specifically

though i find it funny in anything set in a historical setting, chances are the mian charachter is going to have some rather "modern" and progressive veiws

like slavery, chanses are they will find it disgusting, when in real life Id wager thay might have been indifferent or suportive of it

or feminism, theyll totally be into that

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Doclector said:

not just assasins creed (though its probably the worst offender) but it seems if you set somthing at a time where da vinci could be involved, then he and main main charachter are going to be buds....not enemys because da vinchi was COOL (ever after another example)