Most unstable games

ExDeath730

Mar 13, 2012
Total War: Rome II

That thing was just so bugged and...Bad, that i gave up on the game, it was a mess at release, with bad graphics that demanded way too much of your machine and just, the game had no charm, most of it was locked with DLCs the factions felt barebones and...It was just a horrible game.

Skyrim, like most people said here is another game that hade some terrible crashes. The performance was never bad for me, i played worse, but in a lot of moments it just crased into desktop. Some mods help with that, but nothing like the New Vegas mods, that just fixed the game for me.

The Witcher 2 is a game that i absolutely love, but that first act, and the second act if you decide to go with Roche, at the launch and for some time, were buggy messes. While i never had crashes and the performance was really good in the third act, those two really tested my resolve.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Elfgore said:
Some games just seem to be held together by nothing more than duct tape and wire and the slightest glance will cause it to lock-up, crash, or completely bring your system to a halt. Time to talk about the worse of the worst.

Mine is The Sims 3. This game runs like complete ass on my computer, I'm unsure if it does for others, but mine is terrible. I'm lucky to get thirty minutes of game time before the game hard crashes. Mods that are suppose to fix it don't help, EA technical supports answer was to literally bring this game over to Origin, and let's not forget that I've sunk probably a hundred dollars into a game that I can barely play. I'm pretty sure even if I just glance at it wrong, the game will go down in flames.

Notable mentions; The Sims: Medieval, which would hard crash my entire computer. Broforce, as if you pause during one of their cutscenes, the game just freaks the fuck out. Stranglehold, which was so epic that it couldn't run it correctly on the PS3.

So let's hear all of your unstable game horror stories.
Running the risk of assuming your technical knowledge, I've had family and friends encounter issues playing Sims 3 once they've gotten some DLC and I have some advice that worked for them, I don't know how many of these you've tried but I figured I would try to help (a lot of this stuff can potentially be helpful to anyone having problems with a large selection of games):

Make sure your PC is nice and clean. You may have Defender or some kind of anti-virus solution, but a lot of stuff can still get through.
Completely free programs can help. I recommend giving Malwarebytes Free an update and run: https://www.malwarebytes.org/.

SuperAntiApyware isn't quite as good at getting rid of the bad stuff, but it is GREAT at getting rid of little shit programs that are tacked on to the installs of other programs as well as browser toolbars and such. It's also free: http://www.superantispyware.com/.

Make sure your computer is defragmented. Yes, I still have people come back to me saying that their HDD was 55% fragmented or so, and it makes everything better (not applicable if you're using an SSD, you would know if you have one of those). You can run a defragmentation by right clicking on your C: in your "My computer" window and clicking the "tools" tab.

Make sure your computer isn't booting along with programs you don't need at the ready and running all the time. If you're running Windows 7, click the start button and type "msconfig" (without the quotes) into the search bar, in Windows 8, press Windows key+S and type the same command. When this window comes up, click the "startup" tab. This is a list of all the programs that launch whenever you start your computer. If you don't know what a program is, you can google it to see if you want it disabled or just ignore it. Basically, if you don't need Itunes or other programs of the sort running in the background and taking up your boot time, you can uncheck it here and restart your computer to only launch that program when you need it.

Have your graphics card drivers up to date. Even those using Intel imbedded graphics can be helped immensely by updating to their current beta drivers. Just go to the website for Nvidia, AMD, or Intel as applicable and download their most recent driver for chip. Their websites have become much simpler at finding and installing the appropriate driver for your card, and this can make a huge difference. If you have a laptop, see if newer drivers are available for your model by searching through the drivers on your laptop manufacturer's website (the ones that came with it on CD are now very outdated).

Make sure you have the latest dependencies. Steam and Origin usually do this automatically, but if you're having trouble with games it doesn't help to do this manually. For DirectX, just run their web updater: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Your computer may also not be set to install Windows updates automatically. When I install Windows, I have mine set to only alert me when new updates are available. Just in case, Windows Update can be found in the Start menu of Windows 7 and by searching for "Windows Update" (without the quotes) after pressing Windows key+S in Windows 8. Download and install any critical updates, and most optional updates that aren't language packs that you don't need.

Make The Sims 3 LAA (Large Address Aware). This will only help if you are running an x64 version of Windows and have 4GB or more of RAM. This wonderful little program essentially allows The Sims 3 (or any other non-LAA game, DEFINITELY both Fallout 3 and New Vegas as well to everyone reading this!) access to the RAM that exists above and beyond the original 2GB x86 limit. Just point the program to the Sims 3 .exe (which should be in C:\program files (x86)\Origin Games\ etc until you find the .exe that launches the game, and enable LAA for it using the tool. While you're there, right-click in the same .exe and under the compatibility tab click "Run this application as an administrator". If you still have issues after these steps, try returning to this same tab and click "disable visual themes" as well. You could also try setting it to Vista compatibility mode under this same tab. You may need to make these changes to the .exe for different expansions if they have their own .exe. http://ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php <----- Again this program will help a lot of people with Fallout 3 and NV problems. I know with the Sims 3 specifically the expansions really up the RAM requirements and you need as much as you can get. If you've installed mods, you may want to consider re-installing the game through Origin and trying to play without the mods you've been using as they are known to conflict with each other.

If you're logging into Origin and the Sims Network, see if your firewall isn't blocking some aspect of it. You can search for "firewall" using the methods we searched for other Windows tools above. When you open it, on the left hand side you should see a link that says "Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall", which will open a list of what goes through your connection and what gets blocked. Click "change settings", then put a checkmark for Origin, anything saying EA, or The Sims, then click OK on the bottom.

Some people don't like running games with 3rd party programs, but I absolutely love this program (not an employee or anything): http://www.razerzone.com/us-en/cortex/game-booster Razer Cortex game booster. Basically, the program in "boost" mode closes every program and service that isn't needed to play a game, and I've freed up 800-1200MB of RAM at times by boosting with the program. The "recommended" boost settings should be fine. If it doesn't automatically "boost" when you launch the game, manually boost by clicking "boost now" under the boost tab before launching the game. The program also takes screenshots, records video, and shows the current FPS you're running (all optional). You can also defrag the individual game folders for all your installed games through the program. If not even this helps with Sims 3, at least you'll have more RAM available for all your other games and can see your FPS while playing.

Whew. That ended up being more for everybody, but hopefully I was able to help out at all. I do this for a living and a lot of the little things can often make an annoying problem go away, or at least make things faster/smoother. I recommend updating/running Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware at least once a week, and either setting your defragmenter to a time you won't be using your computer (the process makes doing other tasks much slower) or remembering to do it about once a month or so. If I couldn't help, I'm sorry, Maxis let the memory usage and leaks get out of hand with all the expansions and updates, and it sucks that Sims 4 is a lot more reliable.

If you or anyone else needs help about these steps or any PC questions, feel free to PM me, we also have PC Buliders and Hardware group where we sometimes discuss this kind of stuff (it's what I do for fun).

Captcha: problem solver. I shit you not. This thing actually is sentient.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Unfortunately I had a lot of issues with Thief: Deadly Shadows crashing on loading and none of the fixes worked. Ruined the game.

Unsurprising Skyrim and Morrowind crashed a fair bit although I don't remember FO3 or Oblivion crashing much.

VTM:B, thank god for fan patches.

The Secret World often crashes if I take the portal from Agartha (the main hub that connects to every area) to Kaiden but not if I teleport directly there and it doesn't stop me getting there because I'll be in Kaiden when I boot up the game again. I also get a crash report every time I quit the game. It's only a minor annoyance since it's predictable.

layne

Jun 14, 2013
Foolery said:
Vanilla Fallout 3 and New Vegas are still pretty bleh with crashes to desktop years after release. But they can be made relatively stable with mods, so eh. I'm looking forward to Fallout 4, but also thinking of holding off until a GOTY edition is out with all the DLC.
Same here. I was asked at a gaming store recently if I wanted to pre-order FO4 - I said I'd wait until they patched all the bugs and glitches in the game. I'd love to be wrong but based on past experience, the game will likely have issues on release.

OT: FO New Vegas on the PS3. Skyrim and FO3 had some problems, but New Vegas is just frustrating to play with all its crashes, frame drops, etc. I hope to try again one day but am not sure if I have the patience to deal with it. It's certainly made me much more tentative towards Bethesda games.

Jan 12, 2012
Mike Richards said:
Thunderous Cacophony said:
I think it's literally impossible for Creative Assembly to make a game that works at launch, or about 4 months afterwards, or possibly ever. They have a nasty habit of releasing something that's totally broken, patching it until it mostly works, then abandoning it for the next game.
To be fair, I've put some serious time into Alien: Isolation and I haven't had a single thing go wrong with it. Picked it up only like a month or so after launch too. Maybe they're just really bad at working with other people's engines? I have no idea what Total War runs on, so... *shrugs*
Total War runs on engines designed by CA; the current one is called Warframe, and it's just not good at all.

I had forgotten that they did Alien: Isolation, though. I'll give them points on that one.

dohnut king

Sep 22, 2014
Aesir23 said:
Anything made by Bethesda Game Studios but Skyrim really takes the cake. I managed to change things around so that it's not so bad but I remember when it was crashing on me once per hour. Not a fun time and, if I'm going to be honest, it makes me want to stay about as far from Bethesda developed games as possible.
gmaverick019 said:
BloatedGuppy said:
If you installed it in any other directory than the recommended one, and then attempted to later uninstall it, it would literally format your hard drive.
whutttt.

how the hell can a game get permission to do that? considering most game directories point you to the C drive, how can it format windows without your computer going batshit insane for the attempt to do that?

Poo, of Radiance was an MS-DOS
it's a damn good thing that game wasn't released in the past 15 years, I'm sure they would've been sued into oblivion for literally breaking people's computers that way.
gmaverick019 said:
BloatedGuppy said:
If you installed it in any other directory than the recommended one, and then attempted to later uninstall it, it would literally format your hard drive.
whutttt.

how the hell can a game get permission to do that? considering most game directories point you to the C drive, how can it format windows without your computer going batshit insane for the attempt to do that?

it's a damn good thing that game wasn't released in the past 15 years, I'm sure they would've been sued into oblivion for literally breaking people's computers that way.
Pool of Radiance was an MS-DOS game. Much easier to mess up in DOS than in Windows. And more than a few games from that era required you to edit the autoexec.bat or config.sys files to run the game. Not to mention there was no means of getting patches until the internet was commonly used, so if the game was buggy, you were screwed. Good times.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
Mike Richards said:
I think it's literally impossible for Creative Assembly to make a game that works at launch, or about 4 months afterwards, or possibly ever. They have a nasty habit of releasing something that's totally broken, patching it until it mostly works, then abandoning it for the next game.
To be fair, I've put some serious time into Alien: Isolation and I haven't had a single thing go wrong with it. Picked it up only like a month or so after launch too. Maybe they're just really bad at working with other people's engines? I have no idea what Total War runs on, so... *shrugs*
Total War runs on engines designed by CA; the current one is called Warframe, and it's just not good at all.

I had forgotten that they did Alien: Isolation, though. I'll give them points on that one.
Huh, no idea then. You'd think their first entry in a wildly different genre from anything else they've been doing for the past however many years would be the shakier one. Go figure.

residentout1

May 21, 2013
fallout 2 for me I got it for free on gog awhile back. I can't get it to run on my pc every time I try to get it to run I have to run it as admin and when I get it to play the colors are messed up and then when I quit I lose my saves but fallout, fallout tactics, fallout 3 and fallout new vegas play just fine.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
Skyrim, definitely Skyrim, technically all Bethesda games, especially heavily modded versions have a nasty habit of crashing to desktop at horribly frequent intervals. Oh you want to get 100+ mods working on a Bethesda game and play nice with each other? I hope you're ready for a second job because that's the level of frustration and time investment needed to get it working.

If I sound annoyed it's because I'm currently in the "Skyrim crashes at start-up" phase of my life again...

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Saints Row 2 on PC.
Even with Gentleman of the Row, and numerous tweaks for stability, it desynched with my friend and crashed constantly.
SR3 and SR4 did the same, but at roughly 5% of the frequency.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
residentout1 said:
fallout 2 for me I got it for free on gog awhile back. I can't get it to run on my pc every time I try to get it to run I have to run it as admin and when I get it to play the colors are messed up and then when I quit I lose my saves but fallout, fallout tactics, fallout 3 and fallout new vegas play just fine.
Two things that may help. One is running Fallout 2 in XP or Windows 98 compatibility mode. Another is to get the Fallout 2 Restoration Pack, or just the high resolution mod, I personally suggest the former in this case, because it restores a butt-ton of cut content. Both mods are available at No Mutants Allowed [http://nma-fallout.com/].

OT: KotOR with an ATi Radeon card of any description. What a nightmare. Had to set it to lowest graphics settings and disable every secondary effect.

KotOR 2 was just awful, most things looked unfinished, and it crashed constantly, luckily later mods fix this.

Master of Orion 2 just eats up system resources more and more the longer it runs. Also to get it running on Windows 7 I literally had to make a batch file that task killed explorer, started Master of Orion 2, then when I exited Master of Orion 2, restarted explorer. Otherwise you'd end up with weird color inversions. Also it doesn't work at all in WINE, but it's Dos executable runs just fine in dosbox, this applies to both the Windows 95 CD version and the GoG version.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I deny these comments that Fallout is 'the most unstable game evar'. Of course, the Fallout series has ALWAYS had its share of bugs, but we're forgetting Assassin's Creed Bro-hood. Don't lay blame at my post-apocalyptic franchise without citing other prominent terrors.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Elder Scrolls Online.

It's like Skyrim, but crashier if you can imagine such a thing.

Infinite loading screens, crashing because you sprinted in a slightly populated area, UI errors on log in for no reason, AI glitching into walls, buttons not working and crashes for no reason. I get most of these in a simple one/two hour play session. It's fun, but it can be frustrating. ...Funstrating.

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
People always complain about FO3 and FONV but I never had any problems with them.

On the other hand I always had Empire Total War crashing on me or running into game breaking bugs in battles, like the naval one where ships would freeze in place and I'd lose control of my cursor before CTDing a few minutes later if battles went on too long (which ruined the whole point of having awesome, massive 40+ ship battles.