Most Violent Moments in a Book!

person427

May 28, 2009
The entire book "Battle Royale". Don't even bother looking for it if you're in America, it's been banned.

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
Well, there is a battle scene in The Wheel of Time that is pretty violent.
Asha'Man blows up hundreds of Aiel Soldiers. Yes, blows them up into chunks. Hundreds. Not as good as the others in this thread, but I think it fits.

splatterguy734

Nov 27, 2009
Zannah said:
splatterguy734 said:
AshPox said:
Mai-chan's Daily Life.

The whole thing is beyond words...

It's a manga by the way, so you actually SEE the images.
Oh dear God I read through that entire fucking thing in one night.

The death of many of the children in the battle royale novel who pretty horrific.
Now it maybe, that black-and-white manga gore doesn't get to me, or it may be that the internet (or quite possibly my boyfriends books) have made me emotionally oblivious to such things but... what's the deal?
Well...maybe I'm easily shocked but I'll admit I was taken aback by the pages where a man ripped a baby out of a womans womb then proceeded to rape it death before blending it and pouring it through the mothers hands. I guess its just the psychotic fucked up malice of it or the fact that someone actually thought it up and put it to paper. Also have you actually read it? (just curious).

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
Parts of Cell - Stephen King are pretty bad. Specially at the start where the shit hits the fan. Clubbing people to death with a glass paperweight, people eating people and planes hitting buildings are all just parts of this experience. Later on there is even a part where one guy smashes another guy's head through a wheelbarrow wheel.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Pegghead said:
There's a series of books called the hungry cities chronicles which I heartily recommend to everybody, they have some pretty violent bits.

For instance, there are these things called Stalkers that are basically robotically re-animated corpses, at one point they describe how they made them before the war (Long story short the books take place after an apocalyptic war) and it includes descriptions such as removing organs, basically performing an ochiectomy, running wires through flesh and other squirmy details.

Mind you it's still pretty tame compared to some of the stuff I've read on this forum already.
Those books are awesome, but I didn't think they were that gory.

Some Bernard Cornwell books have people getting stabbed in the eye, which I find horrible.

And the Warlord Chronicles were set in a time period where warfare involved huge shield walls, and a common tactic was using a knife too reach under the shield and stab the other person in the groin.

The Sharpe series has people getting their heads blown apart by cannon balls, as did Redcoat (with a hilariously "dead"pan comment by Captain Vane).

To wrap it up, in Agincourt a dude was disemboweled with a knife to prevent him from raping someone. His guards didn't investigate because they thought the moans of pain were moans of...

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Composer said:
SnipErlite said:
Well that was...........................interesting 0_O
note to self
avoid the pool
Always avoid the pool (decides against referencing it being closed due to AIDS)

wasalp said:
indeed....
Quite.....

PurpleSky said:
Yeah.....interesting.....

I am physicaly sick.I have read war novels,but this is too much.
Really? I felt a bit......ew.... but I was surprisingly unaffected. Maybe because I read it in a purely fictional sense..........or I'm a soulless bastard. Hm.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Croix Sinistre said:
Samcanuck said:
Elie Weisels 'Night'.

Indepth look at what the man experianced as a child as a survivor of the holocaust.
(you'll probably read it in grade 12 kiddies)
pretty much^^

but in a fictional sense...the entire Sword of Truth series, is pretty violent.
Especially when Richard's captured by the Mord-Sith, or any time gars kill something.
evilengine said:
Michael Chricton's Jurassic Park has alot of detailed violence and gore. The scene in the movie where Dennis is attacked by the Dilophosaurus (frilled, spitting dinosaur) it goes into graphic detail. Dennis is first spat in the eyes, feeling them burn and becoming blind. Goes on to feeling a burning sensation in his stomach, reaching down to feeling something warm and wet in his hands...suddenly realising he was cradling his own intestines...so yes, some gory moments.
That and Hammond's death were definitely the two most graphic to my memory, not that any of the others shied away from violent deaths. Then again, that's kinda Crichton's trademark. Sphere, Congo, and Prey all have some pretty nasty ones too.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
SlowShootinPete said:
Not even Spacebat? [http://gizmodo.com/5173385/shuttle+riding-bat-dies-the-most-glorious-death-imaginable]
*salutes Spacebat* 'T was a glorious end, but alas, even this heroic death cannot beat riding a nuclear bomb rodeo-style into oblivion.
I agree, and that movie was amazing, one of Kubrick's Best.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
I shall turn to my friend Stephen King for this thread. I'll try to keep this as spoiler free as possible.

IT: The scene towards the beginning with the kid getting his arm ripped off.

Needful Things: Two women get into a knife fight. Use your imagination.

Cell: A character gets hit in the head with a cinder block that was thrown by someone in a moving car. (Similar scene in Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk.)

Cujo: Surprisingly, none of the dog's kills!
The kid dies of dehydration after being locked in the car for too long. He couldn't come out because the dog was outside.

JanatUrlich

Apr 24, 2009
Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite.

The whole thing is a violent, gory, necrophiliac sex fest. It's fucking awesome!

Imat

Feb 21, 2009
The Battle of Dumai's Wells, Robert Jordan's Lord of Chaos. Until that point the series seems pretty clean, for the most part. Dumai's Wells really, honestly changed the mood of the entire series from that point on.

GammaZord

Jan 26, 2009
I agree with "Night" by Elie Wiesel.

In one scene, a young Jewish boy is hanged but is too light to die immediately so he just sways back and forth slowly dying over the course of several minutes. At this point Wiesel (the narrator) renounces his faith.

And the fucked up thing is this actually happened, probably in more than one location.

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
splatterguy734 said:
Well...maybe I'm easily shocked but I'll admit I was taken aback by the pages where a man ripped a baby out of a womans womb then proceeded to rape it death before blending it and pouring it through the mothers hands. I guess its just the psychotic fucked up malice of it or the fact that someone actually thought it up and put it to paper. Also have you actually read it? (just curious).
I did scroll through the first hundred pages or so, yes.

There's people who get off on this (And as long as they leave me out of their games, it's their business, and certainly none of mine) - and to me, the whole 'torture someone who regenerates anyway' jsut feels redundant. The tension, that can potentially be created by violence done to a protagonist is kinda killed off, when you know nothings permanent - It worked (a little) in Mnemosyne, because there was a psychologic aspect to it, and because it's more impressive in color and with sound - manga-gore (I believe they call it 'guro') just fills me with indifference, especially when there's nothing to it except for the violence - I've seen worse (or at least more 'tense') in various Pen&paper campaigns...

splatterguy734

Nov 27, 2009
Zannah said:
splatterguy734 said:
I did scroll through the first hundred pages or so, yes.

There's people who get off on this (And as long as they leave me out of their games, it's their business, and certainly none of mine) - and to me, the whole 'torture someone who regenerates anyway' jsut feels redundant. The tension, that can potentially be created by violence done to a protagonist is kinda killed off, when you know nothings permanent - It worked (a little) in Mnemosyne, because there was a psychologic aspect to it, and because it's more impressive in color and with sound - manga-gore (I believe they call it 'guro') just fills me with indifference, especially when there's nothing to it except for the violence - I've seen worse (or at least more 'tense') in various Pen&paper campaigns...
I'm afraid I havent seen Mnemosyne but I agree with you about it overall I thought it was fairly silly and just faintly nihilistic I forgot about it fairly soon whereas the violence in the film Oldboy stuck with me due to the really dark emotions and connections with the chaacters involved.

Composer

Aug 3, 2009
but this anwsered a serious question for me
i always wondered if ur intestines could be sucked out through ur arse
so...thanks =D