Most vomit/headache-inducing levels/sections in games.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
Madworld. The whole damn thing. Fun as hell, but after about 15 minutes that black & white & red color scheme started to give me headaches & it really messed with my depth perception.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Guacamelee is can not just induce headaches, I've heard cases of it causing seizures. When you get a powerup, it flashes pink and light blue across most of the screen. They have a seizure warning at the begining, but it goes by so fast that its near impossible to read.

In my case, it was during the Walking Dead: Season 2
<spoiler=Warning: Blood and gore and stuff>
<youtube=V8MwvhsamGI>

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
The expansion of Diablo 3 had sections where the area you played in moved in different ways. At one time you're fighting on the top of a huge battering ram, as it's ramming a door. Another time you're running up a narrow passage with a static, but moving, background(don't really know how to put it in words).
Doesn't look bad in the videos, but when you play it you'll know. Both times I felt like I was going to throw up.

Skip to 8:00 for the narrow passage part.

Uncharted 3 kind of did a simular thing. Many parts with shaking environment that was annoying as fuck. Don't remember if it made me feel sick, but it's the major reason I never bothered to replay that game.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
MrBaskerville said:
Exhumed for the ps1, it has some weird textures that seems to move in random directions when you walk, it's very odd and very vomit inducing when you play it for a while.

Might be hard to see in the video, the best way to explain is that if you stand in a corner and move the player, every texture on walls and floor will move, like looking through a kaleidioscope maybe?
That was kind of common in some poor ps1 games, the Action Man game for the ps1 also had that issue.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
LaoJim said:
I'm quite pleased about just completing this level...

To celebrate, I'd like to ask my fellow escapists about the most headache or vomit inducing levels they've every played. It can be visual tricks like above, or just really atrocious graphics that make it almost impossible to play.

Now I need to go for a lie down...

EDIT: Obviously videos of the levels in question would be great.
I felt the same way, just by watching someone else do this on youtube.

Demonchaser27

Mar 20, 2014
MrBaskerville said:
Exhumed for the ps1, it has some weird textures that seems to move in random directions when you walk, it's very odd and very vomit inducing when you play it for a while.

Might be hard to see in the video, the best way to explain is that if you stand in a corner and move the player, every texture on walls and floor will move, like looking through a kaleidioscope maybe?
This was one thing that bothered me about PS1. A lot of the games I played had funky moving/morphing textures. Look at 007:World is Not Enough on PS1 and then on N64. The difference isn't in the quality of textures so much but in how they just aren't morphed and don't move constantly in the N64 version.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
All the outdoor levels in Mirror's Edge.

Not for me, but some of the reviews make it sound like the game forced people to eat week old German deli, dipped in scrambled egg on a Scottish bus... well, those things make me sick...

Ok, a little bit. I got a headache after playing the game, and a little bit of sick rose up from my throat when I accidentally made Faith (Fayth?) get off her ass by pressing back, and she did this weird roll thing and it completely threw off my sense of direction, and my brain twitched with pain at the game's bullshit.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
It took me a while to get used to Super Mario Galaxy. It wasn't too bad but when I first tried playing the game I got the weirdest sense of vertigo and felt a bit dizzy from time to time. I got over it after a while but the first few hours (spread out over a week or three) were pretty rough.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Grayjack said:
Never played it, but I saw gameplay of Kane and Lynch 2 and that was just horrible.
Yes. I was curious as to how bad it was, and was physically sick within a minute.

DrNick

Feb 5, 2009
Switching between normal vision and Detective Mode vision in Arkham Asylum created a distinct and powerfully bright flash of light on the screen during the moment of transition. Maybe it's just me, but after a while, I found I had to close my eyes whenever I switched, because the contrast between the darkness in-game and the flash was enough to induce headaches. I'm thinking it probably wasn't just me, since they seem to have toned in down in Arkham City.

Viperdude877

Jul 12, 2014
Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception, when Drake is drugged and running through the city and the entire environment is warping. So bad.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Just about any flood levels in the Halo games make my stomach churn, but none more so than Halo 3's Cortana. It felt like I was traveling through the galaxy's digestive tract and it was the one part of that game that couldn't be over fast enough.

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
That prize goes to Singularity. Great game, really cool weapons, reminded me almost of Bioshock, but it must have been something in the frame rate that was a little off, because it made the old gorge rise and gave me a headache like a spike through the temples. . Watched my brother finish it, he didnt have any problems. Wish I could tinker with it and make it playable for me, because its pretty badass.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Pretty much the entirety of the RX Tech Mines level in Tomb Raider III. From the horrible, horrible mine cart itself and its trial and error gameplay, to that abysmal end level water section.. ugh. About the only good things I have to say on it is the slight The Thing vibes it has, and the sense of isolation as you delve deep underground in the ice. Other than those atmospheric elements, the level is goddamn trash.
I liked that level... ;___;

The game still had its nauseating moments, though. As fun as going down a river on a kayak is, it's still gut-wrenching.

Also, there's a single screen in Myst III where you step onto a rotating tile, so the screen constantly turns right as you navigate. Normally, this would just be a cool touch, but when I played it as a kid, I had so much difficulty clicking on the nearby door that I got sick.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
lacktheknack said:

The game still had its nauseating moments, though. As fun as going down a river on a kayak is, it's still gut-wrenching.
Haha, we're at odds then mate. I'm one of the few beings in the cosmos that actually likes the kayak level. I'm not sure if, for some bizarre reason, it just handles better on a keyboard or what but I had little trying guiding it along. I also enjoyed the Mako in Mass Effect, so maybe I'm just weird when it comes to game vehicles.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
BathorysGraveland2 said:
lacktheknack said:

Haha, we're at odds then mate. I'm one of the few beings in the cosmos that actually likes the kayak level. I'm not sure if, for some bizarre reason, it just handles better on a keyboard or what but I had little trying guiding it along. I also enjoyed the Mako in Mass Effect, so maybe I'm just weird when it comes to game vehicles.
You too? I had so much fun launching the Mako everywhere.

I also like the kayak level, but I'll be damned if I can make it go where I want on the first try. xD

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Dr. McD said:
an annoyed writer said:
Just about any flood levels in the Halo games make my stomach churn, but none more so than Halo 3's Cortana. It felt like I was traveling through the galaxy's digestive tract and it was the one part of that game that couldn't be over fast enough.
Ah yes, the Flood, the single most hated part of Halo. I gave Halo 2 a chance when it came out on PC and stopped playing when I found the Flood hadn't improved.

theevilgenius60 said:
That prize goes to Singularity. Great game, really cool weapons, reminded me almost of Bioshock, but it must have been something in the frame rate that was a little off, because it made the old gorge rise and gave me a headache like a spike through the temples. . Watched my brother finish it, he didnt have any problems. Wish I could tinker with it and make it playable for me, because its pretty badass.
Eh, the creature designs were all kind of bland except the reverts and radions (I think that's the name of the scorpion things). I also wish they had a better story.

Really the game would be a lot better if it's designers knew what they wanted it to be and polished it more. The weapons were cool, if only I could use the unconventional ones more often. The environments could be much more varied. The enemies could also do with better designs.
I'm going to pitch in and agree that the Flood sections of Halo 3 were just plain nauseous, like running through a slick tunnel of popping blisters and warts. It's pretty much the only time in gaming I've been genuinely squicked out by an environment - if they had achieved that sickly feeling in Clive Barker's Jericho then the Roman levels would have been masterpieces of horror.

As for Singularity, I liked the enemy designs (though I am the kind of military nut who disagrees with the common notion that COD has bland and identical enemies); I just wish the future Red Army troops were showcased more. Plus there was a giant Tyranid as the railway line boss: gotta respect that!