Most well-written game romance?

Nov 28, 2007
Well, with more and more games adding in romance options, or even making it part of the story, I'm curious as to see what people think are the best-done of these romances, the ones that make you say "aw", or in the best case, actively fight through the game just to see more.

For me, it is a tie, both from the same game. Which game? Mass Effect 3, and the tie is between the romances of Male Shep and Tali, and Female Shep and Garrus. Both of them feel totally natural, and it makes you really believe it when the characters talk about loving each other. And in my case, I flat-out refused to choose any ending that did not let Shepard survive, because I felt so strongly about that romance.

Jackalb

Dec 31, 2009
Agent 47 and his pistols.

Alternatively Bastila Shan was my queen and the only one I'll ever need.

Dec 14, 2009
Matthew94 said:
Solid Snake and Otacon had a damn good BROmance

[HEADING=1]Fuck yeah![/HEADING]

Nothing beats a good bromance, and in that regard, I nominate Shepard and Garrus.

Manshep and Garrus.

That's not to say that Femshep couldn't have a good bromance with Garrus.

Afterall.

Article 22 of the Brocode states: There is no law that prohibits a woman from being a Bro.

True story.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Vincent and Kathrine in Catherine . They are a real couple with real problems and real issues that need to be / can be overcome . I saw myself in vincent the first time i played the game .

Jackalb

Dec 31, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Awesomeness
You raise a valid point sir Garrus & Shep was deep. Equally that image is amazing and now my desktop background.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Hmm, lots of good ones I can think of. Not including VN's:

Garrus, Alistair, Zevran, Wanderer from Shadow of the Colossus...

I think I'd have to settle on Viconia from BG1-2-TB. Granted I was 11-14 while I played these games which obviously skewed my emotional reaction, but I was genuinely moved by a lot of her scenes, killed a good party member (and Bro to my character) to keep her safe.. And her epilogue from the ending fucked me up for literal weeks.

Good times ;)

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I think I'm the only one on the website, but I was always a fan of the Mass Effect romances, especially with Tali.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I'm expect to be stoned by a few people for this but Squall and Rinoa!

It's the kind of story about love changing you into something better and my favorite game story of all time, it has to be #1 for me.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
erttheking said:
I think I'm the only one on the website, but I was always a fan of the Mass Effect romances, especially with Tali.
You're never the only one.

I'm going to nominate Anders but the end was stupid/shit/ruined everything ever, so I expect that it's not that great compared to some of the ones I have never seen first hand.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Heavy Weapons Guy and Sasha.

/thread

edit: Goddamn rule 34.

Sep 14, 2009
eh might get flamed for it, but after playing ffx and ffx-2, i did enjoy tidus and yuna's thing they had goin on, first time i actively paid attention to a romance in the slightest in a game.

after that, shepard and garrus are clearly a personification of the bro code, you just can't get more awesome then that.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.

Simple but well told and with sympathetic characters. It's not great, but I'd say that's the best in the gaming industry as far as romance goes. Frankly everything else I tend to think is rubbish!

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Jackie Estacado and Jenny Romano from the Darkness.
It manages to be heartwarming, realistic and bittersweet, all in the space of the 1-2 hours in which we get to know them. And when she dies it gives the perfect motivation to play through to the end because we want to avenge her as much as Jackie does.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Harvest Moon. Figure out what she likes, give it to her every day, watch the heart meter, take her to the pageants and bullshit, be ready for the specific events related to her, and eventually, one day, give her a blue feather. That's true love right there.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
This one isn't even a contest.

The action, the bond between Chell and the cube as they' hold themselves close to each other, the romance, Chell was always on top of that cube. And of course the tragic heart break at the end. Honestly, never seen someting so poetic in gaming.

OctoH

Feb 14, 2011
Cole and Zeke had a great bromance going on in inFamous 2!

OT: Someone had to say it...Gordon Freeman and Alyx Vance. For a relationship based off wholly one-sided conversations, it's pretty well-developed.

MisterShine said:
Wanderer from Shadow of the Colossus...
Jesus, yes, Wander. That was freaking heart-wrenching. Not a lot of games get me like that (especially ones with little to no dialogue), but Shadow of the Colossus hit it right on the sweet spot.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
The romance between Ezio and Sofia was good in Revelations (one of the few things good about that game). You could see why Ezio was interested in her and you really believed that they liked each other.