Most well-written game romance?

Blade_125

Sep 1, 2011
gmaverick019 said:
eh might get flamed for it, but after playing ffx and ffx-2, i did enjoy tidus and yuna's thing they had goin on, first time i actively paid attention to a romance in the slightest in a game.

after that, shepard and garrus are clearly a personification of the bro code, you just can't get more awesome then that.
I always thought FFX got a bad rap. The plot was great and I enjoyed the romance with Tidus and Yuna, which was really well played out. The problems it had was it came out at the start of voice acting for video games, and the voice acting in this game is absolutely terrible. And it was the first FF game without full world travel so I think a lot of fans were mad at that. So no flame from me. THe romance was one of the best things done in the game.

Nov 28, 2007
AnarchistFish said:
SpectacularWebHead said:
The mass effect ones cuz, well, Bioware games are well written. They just are. So much so that I am Fairly sure I've fallen in love with Liara T'soni for realsies.
dude don't tell anyone but I think me too <3
You guys are freaks.

Tali and Garrus, that's where it's at.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
thebobmaster said:
AnarchistFish said:
SpectacularWebHead said:
The mass effect ones cuz, well, Bioware games are well written. They just are. So much so that I am Fairly sure I've fallen in love with Liara T'soni for realsies.
dude don't tell anyone but I think me too <3
You guys are freaks.

Tali and Garrus, that's where it's at.
haters gon hate

Romblen

Oct 10, 2009
I liked the Tali and Garrus romances. Garrus and Tali have both been with Shepard from the start and both have made their sacrifices. I like the idea of the relationship coming from working through hardships together. Yes, there were other romances, but it didn't really feel the same with other characters. Miranda only existed to be sexy.

Kekkonen1

Nov 8, 2010
I know that it wasn't particularily well written and I suspect I am in the minority in this, but I absolutely LOVED the romance in FF8!

Captcha: be nice - listen to captcha!

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
My favourite romances are a lot of the social links in Persona. You really get to know the characters and by the time you get to lovers stage you really feel connected, my favourite was Chie in Persona 4 she's just so awesome :D

Manoose47

Dec 8, 2010
gaiusimperator said:
I think it is Jaheira from Baldur's Gate II.

It felt organic.

It began with me just trying to comfort her, but then she started to hit on me, and then, suddenly, we were together. It just felt right.
yup good thing you never told her what really happened to khalid

for me when i was younger anyways aerie from Bg2 was the real standout relationship, you could go through so much with her depression, duels to the death, her death, subsequent bout of vampirism, gettin knocked up, plus she was so needy.. which is ironic because now i think that would drive me insane.

Well played though Bioware talk about invested writing

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
ME romances felt pretty good they are not only well written for a RPG but voice acting is also very good. My femShepard is in a relationship with Liara, I didn't start any relationships in ME2 and now in ME3 we are still together and if Alenko asked me about my feelings I felt kinda bad when I told him I'm not interested in him.

NotALiberal

Jul 10, 2012
Devoneaux said:
Slycne said:
Devoneaux said:
Slycne said:
Devoneaux said:
Sounds pretty awesome, though it definitely sounds pretty complex.
This is actually how it mostly used to be done for Bioware games. The Baldur's Gate games did not have obvious paths to their romances, and it would often get affected in different conversations.
Well if that's the case, what's changed? This doesn't seem like something they'd cut out if it was so great, even for the sake of "Appealing to a broader audience".
Dialogue, it's much easier to write long subtle branching dialogue trees in text. It's much less feasible to record all of that in voiveover.
Well now that i've given it some thought I think i'd prefer that the dialogue options remain tight and focused anyway. I don't mind if the character arcs are a bit linear. The characters you interact with are great and go a long way in enriching the game, but they're still not the main focus of the game. Really i'd be surprised that a Commander Shep would even have the time to commit to a full fledged authentic relationship anyway what with being constantly busy trying to save everything ever.
Disagree respectfully. The first Witcher game had so much dialogue (not all of the voice acting was good mind you), but it knocked my socks off. Major characters like Triss, pretty much always had something new to say after small plot advancements. It was insane. I wish the second game followed up on it.

Evil Alpaca

May 22, 2010
I think that romance isn't well suited for RPGs because it becomes a stat to level than a depiction of social interaction.

The dialogue for the Mass Effect romances was okay but I never liked the fact that it never affected the game. It seemed like once you got the congratulatory cut scene, that was it for actual affect on the game. It never seemed to progress beyond a simple achievement. What's worse is that it kinda feels forced to fall for a member of the crew. I felt it rather uncomfortable that I could kill Liara's mother in front of her and she was still was a romance option.

The best romance depictions are the ones where the romance is taken out of the player's hands. Games like Shadow of the Colossus tell a much more compelling narrative involving romance than Sheppard and his space harem.

Nero18

Jul 5, 2012
Drake and Elena in Uncharted was really well done. Especially in the third game was fantastic. Some scenes made my heart melt:D

NKRevan

Apr 13, 2011
It's pretty easy to see a trend here.

People either like choice in their romances, or they prefer the scripted ones.

Where the scripted ones are generally (And I put that GENERALLY in capital letters) better written, the choice ones give the player the power to...well, choose.

And therein lies the crux of the issue. If you make long, branching dialogue trees that all have to tie together somehow and offer various relationship opportunities, you cannot go to the same degree of depth as a scripted storyline. Why? Because of choice. Because you need the player to be able to pick their LI otherwise they get frustrated.

That's my theory at least.

iRevanchist

Jun 11, 2011
Jackalb said:
Bastila Shan was my queen and the only one I'll ever need.
I'm also in the kotor camp in greatest game romance ever category. carth was a sweetheart, and no matter how many times i replay kotor i can't ever go dark because of my fangirlish sense of dread that would come if i betrayed him. now that's good writing!

S1leNt RIP

Feb 15, 2011
Best one I've ever experienced is the Zach and Aerith love story from Crisis Core FFVII. It's just super well done, sweet, well paced, with a tragic end...but then they hook up in the Lifestream so it's all good!

Also, I'll agree with the guy saying Red Dead. Loved the marriage relationship. Very sweet.

I still need to finish Enslaved. :\

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
Got to be Eddie Riggs and Ophelia, they have a genuine romance and a messy break up. Schafer did an excellent job of making the emotions run high in Brutal Legend.

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
Well I really like the romance between Female Shepherd and-

thebobmaster said:
Mass Effect 3, and the tie is between the romances of Male Shep and Tali, and Female Shep and Garrus.
GODDAMMIT. Ninja'd in the OP :c