Most WTF Paradox Interactive moments?

Randoman01

Apr 19, 2013
So have you ever played a Paradox Interactive grand strategy game? If so what were some of the weirdest most bizzare WTF historical moments that happened to you in that game?

For me: It was when I was playing England and in the 1500s I wanted to see the rest of Europe and I have noticed that France has taken over parts of southern Italy. How about you?

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
I haven't played enough Crusader Kings to get much beyond some really strange marriages etc. but I guess this one is a classic (did not happen to me):
http://imgur.com/bCv2HTT

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
In EU 3 I actually saw the AI Byzantines take over Turkey. I have no idea how it happened as i was playing Minamoto and taking over the Pacific. But when i finally got into contact with all of Europe i realized Turkey and most of Greece was Byzantine. Needless to say i was shocked.

rofltehcat said:
I haven't played enough Crusader Kings to get much beyond some really strange marriages etc. but I guess this one is a classic (did not happen to me):
I think that spymaster is trying some sort of psychological warfare.

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
A fun one was with me owning Iberia, most of Italy, Africa, and the Americas. Bored, not sure what I want to do next, and cute little Milan insults me (which is terribly normal to get from small nations angry at you) Normally, I wouldn't care, but they were allied with one state that I rather wanted to vassalize, and had no real allies. Let the war commence!

Shortly in France allies Milan and drags in Russia. Suddenly a huge war erupts. Just what I wanted. World war erupts out of a simple insult.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Boo8er said:
So have you ever played a Paradox Interactive grand strategy game? If so what were some of the weirdest most bizzare WTF historical moments that happened to you in that game?

For me: It was when I was playing England and in the 1500s I wanted to see the rest of Europe and I have noticed that France has taken over parts of southern Italy. How about you?
That actually happened. The French invaded Italy in in 1492 and were finally expelled 1527. They invaded in an attempt to recover the lands they lost during the War of the Sicilian Vespers that ran from 1282 to 1302.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
lets see (from Europa 3 and 4):

-Gotland took over Scandinavia.

-Austria got kicked out of europe and founded an empire in southwest Russia

-Wales took over England

-Brittany got kicked off the mainland and formed a colonial empire in the new world.

-Greece formed in Crimea

-Timurids stretching from Egypt to China

-having a rebel army that spawned from a southern Italy province being the most powerful army in the world, yes, stronger than even russia.

-Burgundy spawning about 300k rebels during its peasant uprising, when the most powerful countries generally only had 50k troops

-Ukraine taking over poland and lithuania

-Scotland taking over England

But the one that im the most proud of: Breaking off England from Great Britian and forcing the two to fight to the death.

Funny enough, in my dozens of games of Europa, ive never seen the US form. Apparently that is unrealistic >_>

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
I have a few ones for europa 4:

1. serbia existing in crimea
2. the byzantines conquering the ottomans
3. najd taking over the middle east and north africa
4. Aq qoenlu blobbing out over anatolia and the caucasus
5. super denmark cutting a swathe out of russia
6. lithuania taking over most of eastern europe
7. england conquering france and burgundy
8. japan conquering most of eastern china

EU4 is a weird game

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
I spent the first 20 years of a game of Victoria II forming Italy out of Sardinia-Piedmont. I spent the rest of the game playing world police, putting down Boxer rebellions for little gain, sending a few army corps to prevent Argentina from getting steam-rolled by Brazil, Chile and Great-Britain together, etc. I noticed however that in my bid for national unity I had helped Germany grow way too strong, shaking off triple-alliances on itself like the hulk shaking a pile of bodies off of himself. Anyway, my plan to keep everyone on an equal footing was to create a new Poland (which starts the game as non-existent), and if there's one thing Prussia, Austria and Russia can agree on in this game is that Poland should not exist under any circumstances, ever. Long story short, I ended up with a roided-up mega Poland that was spending the final days of the game giving an army-less Soviet Union what-for.

Yuiiut

Jun 9, 2014
Playing as Wales in CK2, the english king decided to convert to Frantecelli (and converted his family to it, too, ensuring a constant stream of heretics). In an otherwise completely normal (Religious wise, at least) game. A crusade was called for England, and me, France, Brittany and Scotland ended up splitting it between us after about 10-15 Holy Wars later. So my Welsh kingdom had Wales, Ireland and most of middle England, whereas Scotland was a complete powerhouse that threw out Norway and Sweden. And then there's your typical CK2 stuff-marry your brothers widow, castrate your son, shove your vassal off a castle after his father died in a tragic archery accident etc.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
One time I decided to play Crusader Kings 2. The tutorial didn't work, it crashed 3 times, I finally got started as Ireland, instantly declared war on somebody and got my empire annihilated within a few years.

Good times.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Heart of Iron 3, playing as South Africa (long story) Germany pulled off operation sealion and Japan took over India. I'd never before nor since see an A.I. pull either off, let alone both.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
rofltehcat said:
http://imgur.com/bCv2HTT
THAT is an AMAZING spymaster *g*

Well, i like to play Crusader Kings II as the lowest starting point possible (When i reached german emperor it gets convoluted and boring)
So i was playing around as Count of Brunswick or something, when the husband of the countess of Oldenburg (i think) had my son murdered. Oh, how i went berserk on her family: killed the responsible one, her husband - she learned about that and hated me. I began building reputation with her, trying to get her daughter to marry one of my sons, (while killing her other sons to absorb her family). But it went this way, then the other. countless failed assassination plots, killed children and so on we were both now in our 60ies - i have concentrated all my resources for over 30 years to get to her, murdered three (all) of her sons and two husbands and i think a few other people (never could get to her personally). When i read her bio i found something new: She had acquired the trait "depressed".

I was just: WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING HERE?

Fun games...

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Hearts of Iron III.

Finland would never, ever give up on Tobruk. Even if they had to ship away their entire defense force in bits and pieces. Their devotion was only rivalled by Brazil's determination to liberate Manchuria.

I imagine their fevour in removing pasta was enough to frighten Stalin into not taking the opportunity to invade, he left Finland alone throughout.

The Germans gave taking Karachi (modern Pakistan) a try, but gave up after a measly three attempts.

inzesky

Oct 28, 2009
All time weirdest for me has to be the USA joining the Comintern in one of my Hearts of Iron 3 games.

Close second has to go to the Karlings uniting all of Western Europe including Italy and Iberia and subsequently annihilating my Tengriist Carpatian Empire in CK2

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Don't know about weirdest (as I've seen so many in my many hours), but one thing that really looked odd to me was something that just happened in my Montenegro game in Victoria 2 (where I hold Serbia, Montenegro, Dalmatia, and a good enough chunk of Africa that 90% of my population is African).

So anyway Spain invades and annexed Hedjaz which isn't that uncommon as Spain sometimes hits that area for some reason. What was weird was I noticed that Hedjaz was soon freed...but wasn't a satellite of Spain (no rebellion or Crisis from what I saw)...it was however in the Japanese sphere of influence.

So I'm assuming there must be an event that allows a random Great Power to free a nation, because I have no idea why Japan on Hedjaz's Independence got Hedjaz automatically placed in it's sphere.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
My most WTF moment wasn't from a historical scenario, it was a realization. It was in the early days of Crusader Kings 2 (which was my first Paradox strategy game), I was playing as Croatia. My succession laws were Gavelkind (your shit gets divided among your heirs) and it would take me several generations to change the realm laws enough to establish Primogeniture. Since I didn't want my domain split up needlessly, I had to get rid of any excess sons. So I set to assassinating 4 out of my 7 children (of the other 3, 1 was my preferred heir, two were daughters).

Halfway through that I realized that I was about to murder my own kids. Then I realized I was OK with that, because the good of the realm came first. And then I realized I loved this game and would play it for a VERY long time. And I still am. Funny how what is essentially a glorified Excel spreadsheet can be more compelling and immersive than most AAA crap with state of the art graphics...

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
Does this count as WTF?
It's even more fun to try and match the religions to the country.