Most WTF Paradox Interactive moments?

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
I never got anything particularly weird, but one time in Crusader Kings II I had a top lord who was well into his sixties, and his wife decided. So I decided to marry him off again for political gains, as you do, not expecting much to come of it.

They fell in love.

As in, that's an actual event that happend. They fell head over heels in love with each other with a forty year age difference. And then went on to have three kids between them. Boy were the descednts piling up behind them; his heir was in his fifties by the time he took over.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
After sending significantly more forces then the Condor Legion to help Nationalist Spain in Hearts of Iron 2, they repaid me by actually conquering half of France, after the Allies finally declared war on me in 1943. To further aid the Axis cause, Argentina then went on a rampage in South America and started pressing towards the US with impressive speed, while the Nationalist Chinese sent bombers to help in the Blitz.

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
Me and my entire family getting murdered by my own possessed demonic daughter in CKII ranks pretty high up my WTF list.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Vareoth said:
Me and my entire family getting murdered by my own possessed demonic daughter in CKII ranks pretty high up my WTF list.
Speaking of daughters, I once decided that until I could get the culture to do some, Lithuania would be lead by women! The reason being is that my second character was a women who managed to reunite a large portion of Europe, and was even going to start heading to England. (Please note this is with the old gods DLC so that means I could declare war on bordering counties, something that was endless fun.

So, how to make sure it was ruled by women?

Murder. Every. Single. Man.

So I set about chopping up my various children, smothering them and getting them assassinated. I actually paused about 3 generations down as I ordered the death of my new born baby Tyrion that I realised how fucking evil my family was. Then I laughed as the report of a now suicidal maid came in.

Oh Lithuania, you are truly the kind of nation to rule the world.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
In CKII, I ended up with an extremely strange alternate version of Europe, in which Catholicism was almost completely swallowed up by the Norse Kingdom of Scotland and the Norse Empire of Scandinavia, with Scotland taking over Great Britain, most of France and the Iberian Peninsula, and the Scandinavian Empire (controlled by me) controlling Scandinavia, large pieces of Germany, and large swathes of land around the Eastern Sea. The only Catholics left were mostly in Italy and pieces of eastern Europe. When the Vikings strike back, they strike back hard.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Problem with EU4 is that it's unable to surprise you. They are rigged games to favor certain trends and progressions so any WTF moment is likely a bug. Since I think the topic isn't about your own achievements and more about whatever the system manages to spit out by themselves then here are thee stand-outs.

Aberrant decision.
Scotland having Osel (Livonian Order)
Austria having bulgarian regions/norway from a peace deal without a costal province themselves.
Riga became the Papal State

Then there are the internal tag identification mix-up.
Cored an african costal province as Hosakawa and when completed it was given to Spain. I don't mind the early westernization but you just gave me all the bad wester influences that destroys japanese empires.

Everything else is hard-coded bullshit to keep that experience on historical rails.
Natives, western influences in Japan, events, biased modifiers etc, etc.

Other bugs: My ruler had an progenial heir at the age of 8.

CK2
I don't play dating sims. It's more random and thus more interesting but the gameplay is just too centered on finding everyone a good lay that I get bored. Maybe I just haven't found a suitable playstyle, it certainly plays favourites like EU4 does.

HoI - you thought EU4 was rigged?
I've played one real game of the game. As Lithuania I: got into the axis powers, allied japan, got instagibbed by russia, the mrp did not apply to Japan so they went to war early, proceeded to tear through costal russia into siberia, meanwhile the real war with the reich and russia started, the occupation changed, the western front ground to a halt at the designated -historical- location, japan reched over the urals and started to work toward the middle-east. Japan peaced out, taking a dissapointing chunk of russia - coast and some mainland, germany started to give ground, I got bored and spent the rest of the evening doing chores.

Ah, since this isn't anything about personal achievement - my sole contribution was getting Japan into the war against russia when they decided to surprise ******** the baltics. So the most interesting thing in the game was seeing Japanese resistance fighters in Lithuania. womp womp

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Generalissimo said:
5. super denmark cutting a swathe out of russia
I personally believe Denmark is way over powered at the moment. I have not played a game where Norway doesn't get absorbed by them, and Sweden barley ever makes it out alive, and then I have to deal with super Scandinavia for the rest of my game.

Anyway:
I notice the weirdest stuff happening in CK2, like all of Holy Rome CONVERTING TO LOLLARD HERESY WITH NO REBELLIONS/QUESTIONS ASKED. (10 years after the start of the 1066 game)
That makes for a perfect playthrough as Poland. just perf.

HOI3: As the US, I entered the war and was shipping boatloads of troops to the UK, preparing to plan my invasion, and suddenly, the UK just sent its entire army to the Netherlands, got a bunch of decisions/events saying stuff like "The war is almost over!" and then they got their asses beat two days later. Also, Republican Spain won the Spanish civil war once.

EU4: Crete rebelled from Venice, and then took over Constantinople. I vassalized them and then it was all good, though.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
somonels said:
Riga became the Papal State
If the Roman Papacy ever falls, it will take over a random Catholic theocracy. This is usually a Dutch minor, but I take those were all gone, so it decided Riga would be best.

SgtGimli

Apr 1, 2011
I have had this happen quite a few times now, its triggered by having the lunatic trait, but still one of my favorite events in CKII. http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/540696193013585580/74212DDA2F01E304782DCEA561359B39C8499FC8/

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
SgtGimli said:
I have had this happen quite a few times now, its triggered by having the lunatic trait, but still one of my favorite events in CKII. http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/540696193013585580/74212DDA2F01E304782DCEA561359B39C8499FC8/
I laughed for way too long at that. I know it means your king is likely mentally ill, but it produces lolz so who cares?

more examples from EU4:
1. guyenne taking over southern france
2. bulgaria spawning and subsequently conqering most of the balkans
3. austria starts a war with france over a province they already own. said war ended as soon as it started
4. bohemia trolling poland by leading it's main army in a circle while picking off the smaller stacks.
5. the various HRE states ganging up on denmark and startign a 10 year slogging match over a dipomatic insult.

HOI3:
1. mexico liberates and holds norway
2. a stack of belgian troops troll their way across germany, distracting their nation from being conquered for a good while.
3. guangxi clique taking over china

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
Hmmm... One of the longest games I had played in Crusader Kings II had some interesting things happen. I played had started as the Duke of Aquitaine and managed after declaring independence from France and naming myself King to, via inheritance, get control of the Kingdoms of Leon and Castile, before using assassination to make sure I took control of Hungary. Eventually, when it had reached the late 1300's I somehow managed to marry my character's mother to an important noble in the Eastern Roman Empire (I really hate the name Byzantine) from there that guy became Emperor then died leaving my mother Empress and me second in line for the throne. I killed my character's half-brother then took it for myself, combining it with the Spanish Empire. From there I quickly went about conquering the remaining provinces and then reformed the (now culturally Spanish) Roman Empire just before the end of the game! I was pretty proud of that.

Several other odd things happened during that playthrough as well. The Kingdom of Rus converted to Islam, and spent decades warring against the Mongol Hordes (who were Orthodox). And for some reason both Sweden and Denmark became merchant republics.

Also, for a semi-large portion of the game the leaders of both Genoa and the Holy Roman Empire happened to be black, since at some point a Genoese man had married an African woman then his heirs got elected to the head of the republic and then married into the Holy Roman Empire. It didn't have any effect on gameplay, but it still managed to catch my attention and I found it amusing.

SgtGimli said:
I've never played a character with the lunatic trait before... I really need to get around to doing that.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I had a damned interesting game of Crusader Kings 2 awhile back playing as a viking conqueror in the UK. Started out pretty normal with all the conquest and backstabbing and glorious violence you'd expect. Got a fun moment with this, which was unexpected but very cool:

When things really got interesting however was when this guy came into power elsewhere:

And under his conquest the world ended up looking like this:

Sadly I don't have any screenshots of what happened next, but eventually once I'd completely secured the UK for myself as well as a decent chunk of Denmark in order to properly establish my dynasty as heads of the newly reformed Norse religion it came time to turn my attention to the by then truly terrifying threat of the Umayyad empire, which by then was beginning to nip at my borders with the few remaining Christian kingdoms having been thoroughly humbled.

Uniting with the remaining Christian kingdom in an unlikely alliance, I struck first to make a beachhead in France. My forces far smaller in number but superior in skill and morale, I managed to narrowly defeat the initial 'death army' while the Christian forces did a decent job of harrying the Umayyad reinforcements so that I wouldn't have to fight another 50k juggernaut of a force. The attack was a success, barely, and I managed to secure a good chunk of northern France for my unlikely Norse conquest of Muslim France while the Christians to the east managed to retake a few chunks of modern Germany which had been taken.

With their defeat at my hands however it wasn't much longer before the Umayyad empire began to collapse from within. Their ruler, humiliated by his defeat, was brought down by a series of rapid succession assassinations and rebellions that ensured Umayyad would likely never again wield the sort of power it did at its peak. To the East however the Abbasid Empire only continued to grow even long after their mastermind leader died. Never did fight them however as I decided to try another game for a bit and the latest India expansion has since made my savegames incompatible. Pity, that would have been one hell of a showdown.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
The one that jumps to mind immediately was a recent game of CK2 that I attempted to import into EU4 where I had just been minding my own business in Ireland, uniting it and making a go at England but never quite getting there. Then I see that I had missed out on the Grand Pisan Republic and the reformed Byzantine Empire.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Unkillable Cat said:
This thread had made me buy crusader kings 2. Wise decision? we will see...
I recommend this guide, and starting off in Ireland, just to get your feet wet.

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Beginner's_guide

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Well.. it wasn't me but this one always makes me laugh.

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/830078380624628112/48D95A6B27C9E2694FA2349C2BEE83CC92E1D60B/

Seriously, weirdest thing I ever saw was a Capet take the throne of France from the 867 start and miraculously surviving the horror of the Karlingblob.

There's also a bunch of ridiculously improbable victories involving camels (I can only assume Paradox has never seen a camel and assumes they are some kind of 50 foot tall cyborg creature with laser vision.)