Mother 4 Coming Without Nintendo's Help

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
I played Mother 3 and I didn't really think it was as amazing as everyone told me. With that said, this fan-game looks nice. Nintendo will likely make them can the game halfway through, so I'm not holding my breath.

However, they never asked the Mother 3 fan translation to shut down because it didn't hinder sales.
The Rascal King said:
Why does Nintendo hate the Mother series so much? Can anyone help me solve this question?
The series had sub-par sales in America and they were developed near the end of the lifespan of their respective console.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Despite that I like the Mother Series and the original creator, I doubt that it would live up to the 3 games. Still, it's confusing that there's a massive audience who loves Mother series and Nintendo is flipping the bird.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
This makes me recall Yahtzee's review on Smash Bros. Brawl: Nintendo will put in a character that they refuse to release the game outside of Japan. Seriously, they're sitting on a golden egg that could hatch into a highly acclaimed return, remake, fourth installment, anything really. This is not even a Final Fantasy 7 matter, they literally could release the same versions of the old games in English and blow people away. I personally don't know much about the Mother series and don't even like turn-based one iota, but since Smash Bros. Melee I find the series at awfully enticing regardless out of curiosity alone. It sure didn't help that those trophies made the Mother series out to be such a fascinating tease.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Irridium said:
$5 says Nintendo cans this right before they finish it.

I really hope it gets released, but chances are it won't. Which would make me a very sad panda...
megaman24681012 said:
wait a couple weeks, Nintendo will probably shut this down like the DICKS they are.
Exactly, 'tis was my first thought as well. Isn't this a clear case of copyright infringement? Creating an "ideal sequel" to a trilogy that was developed by someone else ?

Magmabear

Apr 1, 2009
Um... lawsuit? >_>?
No, but seriously though. I don't think that Nintendo would even let this happen. (Though with the internet, who can really be sure)
Yeah, everybody is right by saying that Nintendo sitting on a goldmine if they continue the Mother series. I would freaking love it if they released 3 everywhere else.

Oct 14, 2010
The Mother series is the most unfortunate paradox I know in gaming. How can a title that sold so anemically in North America still gather and maintain such a vociferous fanbase to this day? And why have I always been among them? It's freakin' torture!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SantoUno said:
Exactly, 'tis was my first thought as well. Isn't this a clear case of copyright infringement? Creating an "ideal sequel" to a trilogy that was developed by someone else ?
Depending on how they approach it, it could be much more.

However, fan works don't always get hit with suits. This will be free, so it might escape their wrath. On the other hand, I find the original article's "sure, why not?" Attitude kinda funny. Well, because they still don't own the rights and whatnot, that's why not.

I thought this might be a legit game, made by a third party with licensing rights or some such.

Still yet to play a Mother game; Earthbound was 90 bucks locally, at a time where most games were 60-70 tops. I couldn't justify that much money on an unknown entity. Given the cult hit it is, I really regret that.

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
If this actually gets released, it might be my very first Mother game ever. Nintendo has gone out of its way to make sure I never play a single one of those games.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Irridium said:
$5 says Nintendo cans this right before they finish it.

I really hope it gets released, but chances are it won't. Which would make me a very sad panda...
This was my only thought while reading, despite some great things Nintendo have done, they're gigantic dicks who make really bad decisions very often, sadly. If they were a smart company they would've re-released the Mother games long ago, there is NO excuse.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
What everyone else said, Nintendo, the giant douchenozzles, are just going to shut it down. The creators should probably just stop before they waste more effort.

Sharky200

Nov 28, 2009
They should have waited till they finished to say anything
T_T now Nintendo will kill it
like they do with everything.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
I want this to be released sooooo badly.

But with Nintnedo being the thick-skulled lawyer-happy twats that they have been as of late (see: Japanese Pokemon Black and White being pulled from the internet) I suspect this'll be killed and we will be pissed.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Yeah...perhaps a game "inspired" by Mother would be better. Nintendo will probably shut this down.

Any reason the mother games aren't on VC yet? I mean, how much does it cost to distribute the games digitally?

Wedlock49

May 5, 2010
FargoDog said:
At least you guys actually got any of the Earthbound games.. Stupid PAL region. I'd like to see this come out, as I've heard so many great things about the series.
This. I want me some Giygas but I'm reluctant to pirate a copy of it.