Mother Finds Pro-Islam Message In DS Game

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Mother Finds Pro-Islam Message In DS Game

"Islam is the light." That's what Rachel Jones claims she heard come out of her daughter's copy of Baby Pals for the DS.

"We were sitting in the kitchen, and she was playing it," Jones explained. "All of a sudden she looked at me, and I looked at her and she said, 'Mom, I think my baby said something.' And so I played it back, and it says 'Islam is the light.'"

The game, which is essentially another baby/pet-sim a la Imagine Babyz and the like, allegedly plays the clip when you're bathing your virtual infant. Most other times, according to Indiana news station WTNH [http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/strange/offbeat_wthi_terrehaute_islam_is_the_light_nintendo_0126200921532177991], your baby will just make regular baby noises. When it's in the tub, though, it will repeatedly say what sounds like "Islam is the light."

Jones, who bought the game for her 8-year-old daughter as a reward for good grades, would know the clip when she heard it, as she claims this isn't the first time this has happened to her. A Mattel doll she bought for her 4-year-old said the exact same thing, she says. Jones is "angry that this is the second toy she's had to take from her children," reports WTNH. "Not just my daughter's toys, but we have a son, too," she said. "Now I feel like I need to listen to all of his little toys to make sure they're not saying it."

When pressed for a response, Nintendo denied any responsibility, saying that developer Crave Games was solely responsible for the game's content, pro-Islam or not.

So, is this the story of a crazy mom or pro-Islam propaganda? Head here [http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/strange/offbeat_wthi_terrehaute_islam_is_the_light_nintendo_0126200921532177991] to listen to the clip yourself - it's not totally clear, but it does sound a bit like the kid's saying "Islam is the light." Or just "ista boo a loo." Up to you to decide.

[Via GameCulture [http://www.gameculture.com/node/1056]]

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
it does sound quite like it. Im sure a paranoid Islamaphobe suburban mom wouldnt have any trouble making the deductive leap; & of course conviscating the toy because its corrupting her children with the Koran

t_rexaur

Feb 14, 2008
Well at least it's actually something in the game, as obscure as it is.

A couple of years ago, there was a story in one of the Scottish papers about how a mother found censored out swear words in their child's Animal Crossing. The hilarious thing was, if you played the game, you'd know that you can get the animals to say, well, whatever you want, and they do give a shocked comment if you ask them to say a swear word, which is exactly what the screenshot was showing.

(It was something along the lines of: "**** you? Isn't that a bit harsh?" With the **** you in blue to show it was something typed in.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
We had a doll at work that actually said the same thing, got pulled from the shelves and everything.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
It does sort of sound like that's what it's saying, but I think a lot of that is because we already have in our heads that that's what it's saying, and we're trying to match it to that. If you had no preconceived ideas of what the baby was saying, though, would you have heard that? I don't know. Maybe the mom's just paranoid.

sidhe3141

Jun 12, 2008
Well, the fact that she says the doll said the exact same thing and was made by a different company points to either a massive Islamic conspiracy or just a paranoid superChristian... And the fact that she's freaking out about her son's toys and all seems to point to paranoia.

EDIT: And wasn't the toy made in an officially Atheist country?

seamusotorain

Dec 14, 2008
I think the pressing issue is whether or not Islam is the light...I don't think a small kid will get brainwashed into turnin' into one of them "god-darn rag-head terrorists" just by a game. But hey, what do I know?

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Kellerb said:
not surprising really, politicians do it all the frakking time.
XD All too true!

Optimus Prime said:
How is Islam breaking the 3+ rating?
And what would the mother have done if it had said something about Jesus?

DarthHK

Jan 3, 2009
I'll be damned! First we bend over backwards to make sure we don't offend the Muslims, and now we have to put up with a moronic housewife that's offended by the very same religion we now cater to the most! (Christianity aside, of course.) Jeez, so what if it is pro-Islam? Islam ≠ Terrorists, despite the stereotypes the media constantly exposes her to. I vote crazy mom. You see, children, if we all listened to ol' DarthHK and abandoned religion, we wouldn't have these problems. But does anybody listen to me? No. Serves you nut jobs right.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
DarthHK said:
I'll be damned! First we bend over backwards to make sure we don't offend the Muslims, and now we have to put up with a moronic housewife that's offended by the very same religion we now cater to the most! (Christianity aside, of course.) Jeez, so what if it is pro-Islam? Islam ≠ Terrorists, despite the stereotypes the media constantly exposes her to. I vote crazy mom.
Since when do we cater to Islam?

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I have to say it definitely sounds like the game says "Islam is the light". At the same time, I saw the news story on the page from the link and the phrase sounded almost exactly the same as the one in the doll. Maybe there's a link somewhere? Do the two companies have some common element? However, I noticed at the end of the news story, they say that it is up to the parent to buy the game for their children, and show the phrase halfway through the sentence. A bit of propaganda against buying the game itself there, I think. A bit hypocritical of the news team, wouldn't you say?

F_demon

Jun 6, 2008
I thought it sounded more like: "Goo-bwa ip-bwa ight"
or "I'm gone with the light"
Then again it might just be me...

Power of suggestion maybe? Can you even hear anything else now?
Would there be less shocked reactions if it said: "Christ is the light"

It's just a sound clip, probably widely available that turns up in many different places.
It's just random babble from a baby.

Kids say the darnest things.