Mount & Blade Team Declares Sovereignty, Departs Paradox

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Mount & Blade Team Declares Sovereignty, Departs Paradox

TaleWorlds Entertainment, the team behind the Mount & Blade series, is striking out on their own for the foreseeable future.

There comes a time when every young and wide-eyed game development studio must leave the nest and forge a path for itself. Well, maybe not every developer, but it is the case for Mount & Blade creator TaleWorlds Entertainment. After more than five years working with publisher Paradox Interactive, the team is moving on as an independent (and presumably self-published) developer while it continues work on Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord.

"As of January 31st," Paradox posted in its community forums, "Paradox Interactive will be handing over the reins for Mount and Blade back to the developer, TaleWorlds ... We feel honoured to have fought beside you and at our final parting of ways would bid our farewells with a gift which has automatically been added to your Steam library."

What is this gracious parting gift, you ask? It seems that anyone who owns Mount & Blade on Steam will find themselves invited to participate in the Early Access alpha for Paradox's upcoming Magicka: Wizard Wars, which normally costs at least $13 to buy into. Meanwhile, TaleWorlds is focusing on the development of Mount & Blade II - apparently the series has found a large enough audience that the developers don't need to rely on a large publisher anymore, and hopefully can reap more profit for their hard work by going solo.

Source: Paradox Plaza [http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?752560-Mount-and-Blade-leaving-the-Paradox-stables-heading-out-on-new-adventures]

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
I'm looking forward to Mount & Blade 2. Hoping for more like Warband, much less like Fire & Sword.
I guess the gift is interesting but I probably won't play it anyways, too much other stuff left.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Oh boy. I'm praying it turns out for them, I really love the M&B series, considering I'm still playing the friggin games. I hope its more a sound decision than hubris that spawned this else M&B2 turn out to be crap. That would hurt a lot considering how much I've been looking forward to the next game.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Good luck to TaleWorlds Entertainment, I hope this move is successful for you and great work Paradox for supporting them all this time. Paradox is one of the few decent publishers left, not only do they support good games but their also happy to publish more niche ones, something few other publishers will even think of doing.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Parting gift? I didn't get anything in my inventory, even though I bought into their bundle with the incorrect assumption that fire and blade was going to be better than warbands, but at least it came with warbands anyway.

edgecult

May 4, 2011
weirdguy said:
Parting gift? I didn't get anything in my inventory, even though I bought into their bundle with the incorrect assumption that fire and blade was going to be better than warbands, but at least it came with warbands anyway.
check your library brother, already added to your game list -nod-

Gailim

Oct 13, 2009
wow Mount & Blade

come to think of it that was the first ever crowd funded/"early access" project I ever participated in.

back before they got picked up by Paradox they were selling the Beta to fund development. since M&B is a sandbox world this worked out pretty well

basically they said the the final game was gonna be $20 (I think) but if you bought the beta you would get it for a reduced price, the beta started at $10 (I think) and got more expensive as the game neared 1.0. I believe I got on board when it was $15 or so

this was all back in 2006-2007

I didn't get on board with steam until the orange box at the end of 07 so M&B was one the first indie games I ever played

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Loved Mount and Blade: Warband. One of my favorite games. Can't wait for M&B II. And losing the publisher sounds like a good thing, more control back to the developers.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Oooohhh, so that's why it magically appeared in my library, this might be the very first (and only) "Early Access" game I've ever had.

As for the Mount & Blade series, I own the original and Warband, I bought them almost 4 years ago and I still haven't gotten to play any of them yet. Maybe I should rectify that soon.

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
As far as publishers go, you can do a lot worse than Paradox. Having said that, gratz to TaleWorlds for taking the plunge.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I hope this works out for them. I've been a fan of Mount&Blade since the first one was released. Nice to see them finally go indie. I just hope this doesn't hurt the release of Bannerlord.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
And Paradox let them go with their intellectual property. That's impressive. Paradox is my model of what a good publisher should be.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
I'm glad it seems to have been an amicable separation. Paradox and Taleworlds have both done well by me, and I'm looking forward to more great stuff from both groups.

And hey, Free Stuff! ^_^

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
I...

Feel like today is a great day. Good luck to taleworlds, and I am so happy to get this free gift. I also like magicka a great deal.

:'')
Manly Khergit Tears

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Man, steam really need to have some sort of notification system for when shit's added to your library. I'd have no idea I had Wizard Wars if I didn't read this.
Elf Defiler Korgan said:
Manly Khergit Tears
I hate the Khergit. "Manly" indeed. Fuckers just ride around pelting you with arrows. When you try to approach, they just ride away while shooting more arrows. Maybe it's because they're such pussies in melee combat.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
I am not exactly sure if this is a good thing.
Sure more control to the devs and stuff, but i don't think paradox is controling their development teams very much to begin with.
And when stuff goes bad, not that unlikely since i personally haven't heard any sound of M&B 2 since announcement, they don't have someone to pull them out anymore.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Denamic said:
I hate the Khergit. "Manly" indeed. Fuckers just ride around pelting you with arrows. When you try to approach, they just ride away while shooting more arrows. Maybe it's because they're such pussies in melee combat.
Pfffft, what was that?

Arrows? A concern? How about the sky that has been blackened by the Rhodok bolts raining hell upon your pups of skirmish? You complain when the enemy fire back? You raise your petty circle shields whilst we form a castle from nothing other than the tools we carry! Why don't you try charging an enemy that doesn't run, but careful, you might trip and impale yourself on one of our Thousand Spears. Then again, I wouldn't expect anything else who was a filthy non-Rhodok.

Rule 1 of M&B threads:
If it doesn't end in Medieval curse flinging, you failed at forum.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Amaror said:
I am not exactly sure if this is a good thing.
Sure more control to the devs and stuff, but i don't think paradox is controling their development teams very much to begin with.
And when stuff goes bad, not that unlikely since i personally haven't heard any sound of M&B 2 since announcement, they don't have someone to pull them out anymore.
They developed the original Mount & Blade just fine without a publisher. They didn't sign on with Paradox until after they finished the game.