Mountain-Sized Asteroid Zipped by Earth This Morning

Atrocious Joystick

May 5, 2011
This seems nedlessly sensationalist. I'm not getting any sort of indication that we just looked up and saw a massive asteroid just wosh by that we hadn't noticed. They're really only a problem if we find one that is very likely (or even remotely likely for that matter) to hit us, assuming it is large enough. I do not wish to in any way downplay the danger an asteroid could pose and we really should have a ridicolously well funded international organisation who only deals with asteroid defence. There are things in the universe that could wipe us out and we just would not stand a chance of doing anything about it (unless we know about it like a thousand years in advance) but we coud realisticaly defend ourselves against an asteroid.

As someone else said there is a much larger spacerock much closer to us that is constantly falling towards us while we ourselves are constantly falling towards the flaming ball in the middle of our particular group of rocks in space. Everything in space is huge and scary but there really is no need for alarm.

Also, 300 meters wide is mountain sized now? Referring to something as being "the size of a large hill" just doesn't have the same ring I guess. It would surely fuck up whatever area it lands in very badly but hardly anything like an extinction level event.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
you just know some secret group of super heroes just took down a cosmic horror bent on destroying earth

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I don't think people are more meeked by the fact that a big asteroid passed by our planet, but more or less the fact that a asteroid the size of an entire mountain passed by our planet.

Considering what happened the last time something that big crashed on our planet- yeah it didn't end well for a good chunk of our scaly friends.

EDIT: Oh it was 300 meters? eeeeeeh well you can ignore the last part of my comment then.