Mouse woes OR Finding the perfect mouse!

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I'm pretty happy with the one I've got right now (a Silvercrest MTS2219-SL-M), except for having to change the batteries every now and then.
I did have to buy rechargeable batteries and a battery recharger while also keeping track and rotating and recharging them as needed.
I know, first world problem right? ,)

I was hoping to find a wireless mouse with a docking/recharging station so that I can just pick it up and play.
They appear to be much rarer than I thought though. So far I've found and tried the Steelseries WoW wireless and Sensei wireless.

WoW wireless had way too wide a gap between left and right mouse button making it a pain to even click.
It's thumb buttons were also situated rather unfortunately and were too sensitive so that an accidental click was inevitable.
Aside from that, I Loved the design of the docking station.

Sensei wireless were too long in the body with a tapering end and really put a strain on my wrist just trying to grasp and hold it.
It also had some problems with the thumb buttons as the space was too small for my thumb between the "floor" and the buttons.
Getting it to recharge from the docking station appared to require millimeter precision positioning.
Trying to update it's driver through the Steelseries Engine 3 was a very trying experience.
Being able to view battery status through the mouse and base/station colors was pretty nifty actually.

What I'm looking for in a mouse;
-Wireless (optional cord for recharging while in use is a plus).
-Docking/recharging station/base.
-Minimum of 4 buttons and scroll (more could be bonus...or not).
-About 3cm (1-1,5cm from inner edges) between the middle of the left and right mouse button.
-About 10-11cm long.
-A blunt, "sharp" drop where the palm should rest, NOT a tapering one.
-NOT a Steelseries (probably..Possibly, only if amazing).
-Quality and Function over Price.

I'm using claw grip but with the underside of my fingers touching the buttons and not the tips.
Or you could say I'm using a palm grip with elevated finger joints and knuckles.

My hunt continues..

-------

What's your mouse of choice and why?
Palm, Claw, Fingertip or a hybrid style?
Any cool stories to share?

Jack Action

Not a premium member.
Sep 6, 2014
I've been pretty happy with my Mad Catz RAT, to be honest. A RAT-7, wired, the RAT-9 is wireless and comes with a pair of batteries which can be switched out on the fly. I've read complaints about fragility, so those are worth keeping in mind, but I've had mine for like... 6? I think 6 years, and it's still fine.

Had to re-tension the leftclick spring at one point and the forward/back buttons are admittedly fragile, but both of those issues are fairly easy to fix if/when they occur, and I'm pretty sure they're issues with all mice.

Only real, major issue with it is that the optical sensor is really sensitive to debris. Cigarette ash and cat hair will make it lock up on an axis. You can simply blow on it to clean it, but it's pretty inconvenient when it happens. It's not horrible for me personally because I don't do multiplayer gaming, but I can see the optical sensor's sensitivity being a dealbreaker if you do.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I use the Logitech G602 because I like a lot of buttons. The middle mouse button started acting up after about 5 months, but then started working again so I'm not too sure about that. Other than that I haven't had any complaints; It's comfortable, has lots of buttons, is accurate enough for my needs, works well on all surfaces, and looks kind of cool.

Edit: Also, I think this should probably have been posted in the advice forum.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Been using the Logitech G300 cause screw expensive mice and screw wireless, this budget bastard has plenty of buttons in good spots and optical does things fine! It works really well, I rather like it. Though, I admit, the G602 above me does look sexy. Only problem I find with mine is that the mouse wheel sort of gets stuck in a middle spot when it comes to scrolling, but it's resting evenly regardless. What his means is that I could gently tap the wheel, and the page will shift without me actually pushing the wheel up or down a notch. Have to wiggle the wheel around a bunch to fix it. Works great otherwise~

Vendor-Lazarus

Mar 1, 2009
Drathnoxis said:
Edit: Also, I think this should probably have been posted in the advice forum.
I was thinking about posting this thread there at first, but the advice forum is way too dead and I felt that I could easily turn this into a general thread about Mouse Woes instead.
More possible mice to choose from and we all get to read some interesting stories or debate the benefits of Claw over Palm grip.
Thanks for taking part. ,)

It's just starting a bit slow s'all..

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I switched from wireless to a wired corsair raptor m45 and don't have to bother with batteries anymore.
The thing reliably works on pretty much all surfaces I put it on and won't skip due to debris like crumbs or hair unlike my previous wireless mouse and it also has no annoying rubberized parts on it that may deteriorate and become sticky and gross over time like it happened to my pre-previous microsoft mouse which worked great and was pretty high-quality but became unusable because that rubber crap isn't made to last and becomes impossible to clean even with rubbing alcohol which just further dissolves it and turns it into a sticky mess.

So my advice would be to look out for that and pick a mouse that has only plastic surface.
It'll be easier to clean and not become gross over the years.

Also does the constant charging of a charge station not rapidly murder rechargable batteries that aren't made for that?
Maybe you should consider a wired mouse so you can't run into problems like that.

Oh as for gripping, I only claw my ringfinger up and press the buttons with my fingertips.
Most mice are too small for me to just put my hand on them without touching the mousepad.

Vendor-Lazarus

Mar 1, 2009
loa said:
Also does the constant charging of a charge station not rapidly murder rechargable batteries that aren't made for that?
Maybe you should consider a wired mouse so you can't run into problems like that.
I've used wired mice ever since my first computer (a 133mhz beast with turbo ^^).
I always felt the cord to be restricting my movement, causing me to constantly pull on the mouse.

You bring up a good point with rechargeable batteries.
I haven't had any problems with my current one, but I can change the batteries in this one if I need to since it's not using a docking station.
Maybe I should add being able to change batteries to my list.
Thanks!

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I've been using a Razer Dethadder 3.5G which has just enough buttons to cover all that I need it to, and its smooth with 3500 DPI and a polling rate of 1000. Never has given me trouble and simple enough to clean. I've been using it for a good while now and I love the hell out of it, got it on clearance for about $20 USD. I don't ask for much in a mouse, just smooth work and up to two thumb buttons.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I have no idea why, but it didn't even occur to me when opening this thread that you might be talking about computer mice.

Aug 19, 2010
Approximately 99.99% of people on the internet hate Razer, claiming their products break very easily. You might be interested to know that approximately 99.99% of people on the internet are wrong. Go figure.

Jokes aside, in my personal experience, Razer products are damn durable, and I've only ever changed a Razer product (for another one) for an upgrade in functionality. Not to seem like a fanboy, it isn't the brand that I'm "loyal" to (e.g. for keyboards I'd probably opt for Corsair), just the quality of their stuff. Ever since I got myself the first incarnation of the Naga, I just can't go back to any other mouse, and am currently using the Naga 2013. Works like a charm, is mighty comfortable, and has a sweet numpad on the side of it.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
The Logitech G9 is the greatest mouse ever invented and if you've never used one then you've missed out. It is utterly absurd that they've stopped making them and its becoming increasingly hard to get them for sane prices. People have resorted to buying used ones at gigantic mark-ups just to have one. Fortunately I bought a new one just last year so that should keep me going for the next five or six years. I HEAR that the G502 Proteus is a worthy successor. But I don't really want to buy one unless I absolutely have to.

I don't like wireless much personally. I'm not even much of a fan of my game console controllers being wireless so I don't think I'd ever want a wireless mouse. I prefer to know things will just plug in and work rather than having to recharge or whatever.

Pohaturon said:
Approximately 99.99% of people on the internet hate Razer, claiming their products break very easily. You might be interested to know that approximately 99.99% of people on the internet are wrong. Go figure.
To be honest I don't get that hate either. I bought a Black Widow Ultimate last year as a replacement for my old Saitek Eclipse III and its been fantastic for me.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Not really a fan of wireless mice, prefer just plugging mine in and having it work without having to worry about charging and batteries.

For the last few years I've been using a cooler master inferno and liking it.

I like how fast you change change sensitivity on it, and the fact that you can have 4 profiles set up for different button configurations depending on what you're doing. At 4500 dpi the mouse is fast and smooth, and it's built well. The reason I like it the most though is because it's one of the most comfortable "palming" mice I've used. The only negative thing I can think to say about the mouse is that it gets dirty pretty fast and has a lot of small cracks and crevices that are a pain to clean.