Move Outsells Kinect 2-to-1 in Japan

tjoris9

Nov 25, 2008
I think the big surprise will be when the Kinect actually starts being used for what it's meant to do.

Unless if it's purpose was to get a bunch of suckers to buy an X-Box so they can be thoroughly convinced by the only games Kinect can play that video games really ARE just a silly kid's toy.

Apr 28, 2008
XT inc said:
really when this is truth?
In Japan, space is at a premium. Not many people would have the required space for proper Kinect use.

Hell, I don't even have enough space to fully use it. Unless I move everything in my room around, and I will not do that for this thing.

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
I had forgotten about the Torne until the article mentioned it. I'm still kind of surprised that Sony hasn't brought it over here yet.

OT: While the fact that the Move outsold the Kinect is kind of expected, I wonder how those numbers relate to the actual install base. Considering the Xbox 360's install base is lower in Japan, does that mean a higher ratio of Xbox players there have motion control?

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
i'm shocked!
japanese product made by japanese designers in a japanese-dominated zone for the japanese outsells a product NOT made in their xenophobic land?!

stop the presses, i want to get off

Caliostro said:
Sony beats Microsoft in Japan.

In other news today, Japan likes Manga, England is sort of rainy most of the time, Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father and dying is the leading cause of death in the world. More on this as it develops.
pretty much what you said

Mar 26, 2008
Oh Japan, you and your anti-Western (or should it be pro-Eastern) product purchasing strategies.

I have to say, although I was very skeptical about Kinect and only got it because it was forced upon me in a bundle when my old 360 died, it is pleasantly surprising. I've enjoyed my Kinect experience so far and my daughter is always on it, jumping around like a girl possessed. It's gotten the kids of the couch which is always a good thing.

The downside is that it makes it harder for me to justify kicking them off the 360 so I can play some RDR.

Shy_Guy

Apr 13, 2009
John Funk said:
According to a Media Create report [http://geimin.net/index.php], though, there is one bright spot for Sony and the PlayStation Move: Analysts estimate that Move sold 170,000 units throughout 2010 in Japan, compared to a mere 90,000 Kinect cameras sold in the same period.
Considering it's Japan, where the 360 might as well not even exist, this is actually kind of sad that Kinect is still that comparatively close.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
So you're saying that a console that wasn't held in very good terms in Japan, didn't see much sales for a periheral compared to one made for a more popular console? Le gasp~

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
It's because they don't have Oprah in Japan.

Well, that and because the Japanese hate American FPS's, so I'd imagine hardly any of them own the X360. You don't buy an X360 unless you want to play Halo and Gears.

Narcogen

Rampant.
Jul 26, 2006
Given that Move and Kinect are both peripheral devices, the fact that Move outsells Kinect 2:1 isn't useful without information on what the sales ratio of the PS3 is to the Xbox 360.

If the PS3 outsells the 360 in Japan by more than 2:1, then technically the Move is failing there, as well.

I'm pretty sure the PS3 does outsell the 360 by more than 2:1 in Japan. It's probably closer to 10:1 than it is to 2:1. That makes the difference even more substantial. If one assumes that motion peripherals are equally popular with PS3 and Xbox 360 owners, then the attach rate should be the same. Even assuming that one considers that many PS3 owners don't need the Move if they already have a SixAxis, that still indicates there should be a much bigger gap between Move and Kinect than 2:1.

That will, of course, tail off. Kinect sales will slow when every Xbox 360 owner in Japan who wants one has one, and Sony will still have a large addressable audience for the Move if they can create compelling games that use it.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
No big surprise, really. Microsoft has never been able to properly break into the Japanese market, because it's so thoroughly dominated by Nintendo and Sony.

Catchpa: firope chiefly. Now where have I heard that before?

robandall

Jan 25, 2010
Japan - a nation of fanboys.

Despite me thinking that most motion controls are w@nk I think Kinect is vastly superior to PS Move and not simply because Move is a blatant rip off of the Wiimote.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
No surprise. Japanese living rooms aren't quite the palatial estates one needs to setup Kinect without it failwhaling.