Move Over DreamWorks, Ghost in the Shell Animated Film On the Way

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
I don't want any of these new Ghost In The Shell productions. Arise was terrible, and Hollywood translations of Japanese films have historically been even worse.

Do not want.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Never watched Arise but a quick search on wiki gave me this: "Ghost in the Shell: Arise (Japanese: 攻殻機動隊ARISE -GHOST IN THE SHELL- Hepburn: Kōkaku Kidōtai ARISE -GHOST IN THE SHELL-?) is a four-part OVA series that serves as a re-imagining of Masamune Shirow's Ghost in the Shell." yeah, that's that.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
V4Viewtiful said:
jhoroz said:
Ishigami said:
Some years ago I would have been excited about it. Then came Innocence.
*Is that minority that preferred Innocence over the original*

And don't get me wrong, the original was good, but it just felt so vanilla after absorbing quite a bit of cyber-punk and existential sci-fi media (some of it which was inspired by it) that it felt like I've already seen this movie multiple times. Innocence actually went into some really interesting and crazy places e.g. getting stuck in the mind loop multiple times
You could make the case that for it's time (maybe even now) it's one of the most refined of the genre. Like how most Mario games are the same in the platforming genre but every new or different iteration shows it's production value but you could find that boring.
Hell, if you've read watched Blade Runner/Do Androids Dream Electric Sheep some of Ghost in the shells stuff isn't all that new either.
Yeah, that's what I mean. The fact that I also watched SAC prior to that didn't help either.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
I still prefer the Oshii film, pretentious meaningless symbolism and all. Hong Kong is cooler than boring ass cyber tokyo.
Eh, I'd take his meaningless symbolism over his basset hound boner any day of the week. We get Oshii, you love basset hounds, now fucking stop shoving them in everywhere.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Soviet Heavy said:
I still prefer the Oshii film, pretentious meaningless symbolism and all. Hong Kong is cooler than boring ass cyber tokyo.
Eh, I'd take his meaningless symbolism over his basset hound boner any day of the week. We get Oshii, you love basset hounds, now fucking stop shoving them in everywhere.
Well the dog was mainly an Innocence thing, and I wasn't too big on that film. I enjoy the first one, and the second one is a technical marvel, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.