Movie Bob gets called out by Chris Roberts on PC gaming

Gnmish

Feb 7, 2009
A Chris Roberts podcast re: PC gaming and his reasons for making Star Citizen has used a fair chunk of a Movie Bob rant to show what some people were declaring in 2010 about PC gaming. (2:45).

I didn't realise what a raving console fan boi Movie Bob was.

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
here's the moviebob video that was quoted if anyone is interested

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/2911-PC-Gaming-Is-Dead-Long-Live-PC-Gaming

I haven't watched much of the starcitzen video but the clip he used seems to be taken out of context bob explains that he thinks pc gaming is not "dying" but reincarnating because the PC as we know it a "Personal Computer" is becoming obsolete in the face of smartphones and tablets, he is SORT OF right Ouya and steambox are on the horizon and it's hard to say what will happen with them. But personally I don't think PC's are going anywhere any time soon

As for the starcitzen video seems like kind of a dick move to take something said out of context to fuel some bullshit pc gaming circlejerk

(This does not mean I agree with all of what bob said)

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Good. Even if the video is taken out of context it has always annoyed me when Bob talks abou PC gaming. I don't pretend to know a damned thing about Nintendo or platformers and the like because they as well as many other aspects of console gaming are just not something I have much personal experience with. Wish Bob would do the same with PC gaming.

Maybe someone of high position challenging Bob's thoughts on the subject will encourage him to either leave it alone in the future or at least do more thorough research. Maybe ask people with more experience with the genre...

Or it could turn out quite the opposite with Bob declaring a personal crusade. We shall see! Should be fun to watch whatever the case should Bob choose to respond.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
Honestly, While I like his movie reviews, he dosen't know the first damn thing about gaming (Since at least the 90's)

Im glad He got called out, might show him that he's not exactly as knowledgeable as he thinks he is on the subject.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Angelblaze said:
I'm actually still with Moviebob here and this guy doesn't change a thing.
*shrug*
Does the utter reversal of what Moviebob said change anything? (CRPGs making a comeback, the continuing reign of RTS and TBS with no good alternate on consoles, the sudden explosion of the indie scene starting with Minecraft and continuing with HumbleBundle and Kickstarter, the popularization of gog.com, blah blah blah Moviebob was all the way off base.)

OT: That wasn't a good critique. That was stapling on Moviebob because he was an easy target.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I tend to ignore anything Moviebob says about gaming, mainly because its outside his area of his main expertise of movies and to a lesser extent comics and TV series (hence his screen name being 'Moviebob').

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
The opinions of Chris Roberts, a man famous for turning his back on video games and burning bridges to make movies, who then made 'Wing Commander' - look it up - and killed any hope for a career in any medium, are not very important to anyone other than himself.

Having said that, the opinions of Movie Bob are equally worthless, as he's off the mark as often as he hits it. Shit, Jim Sterling - a man who seems to change his opinion to meet whatever the internet seems to agree with at the time - has a more rounded and worthwhile opinion.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
I saw the part with Moviebob in it. He really said that? Like, for real? Didn't pull it the next day because he was drunk or anything? Maybe I'm going hard on him, three years ago is a long time and I shouldn't pick on him.
lacktheknack said:
OT: That wasn't a good critique. That was stapling on Moviebob because he was an easy target.
HAH! Oh, he... Yes... He certainly was an easy target alright.

This is actually a pretty interesting video. Sadly, I can't watch it all. I do feel the need to say it though, if you say any form of gaming is dead, be it PC, Console, Tablet, or Social... You're going to make it pretty clear you haven't a clue what your talking about.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
The Madman said:
Good. Even if the video is taken out of context it has always annoyed me when Bob talks abou PC gaming. I don't pretend to know a damned thing about Nintendo or platformers and the like because they as well as many other aspects of console gaming are just not something I have much personal experience with. Wish Bob would do the same with PC gaming.

Maybe someone of high position challenging Bob's thoughts on the subject will encourage him to either leave it alone in the future or at least do more thorough research. Maybe ask people with more experience with the genre...

Or it could turn out quite the opposite with Bob declaring a personal crusade. We shall see! Should be fun to watch whatever the case should Bob choose to respond.
I doubt it. If you look at his responses to opposing viewpoints ("The Nineties Sucked", "Is Django Racist", the part where he insulted anyone who liked The Expendables and ranted at them for ruining Scott Pilgrim, etc), they're non-apologies at best, and rarely take the actual criticism into account, and tend to try to spin it. So much that he misses the original criticism by a mile.

I love his videos, particularly his movie reviews, but he's rather intractable.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Ok I don't have the patience to sit through the entirety of that video, but for the part that had to do with MovieBob, if I recall Bob's original video, what Bob was saying is that PC gaming was dieing because the traditional desktop PC was/is being phased out in favour of tablets and such. However right or wrong that may be, it was not an entirely baseless prediction.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Ah yes, one of MovieBob's more infamous videos showcasing his complete lack of understanding of the gaming world and anything outside of Mario in general. I do like how Chris took it as a personal challenge. "You honestly think we can't recapture the attention of the main stream market with a golden age PC game? Bullshit. Here's Star Citizen, ************."

Maybe if Nintendo announces a new Metroid game that retcons everything the Other M did, they can use his Gameoverthinker video in a similar way.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
And this is why he's called MovieBob. He should stick to MOVIES. I don't know why he randomly jumps over to video games and starts acting like he is incredibly knowledgeable in areas that really aren't his forte. He probably just likes stirring up controversy.

All that said, I respect his opinion when it comes to movies and he usually has the same opinions that I do (I don't gush over Avengers like he does but for the most part we like similar movies). I thoroughly enjoy watching his reviews.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Taken out of context the video moviebob made looks pretty ignorant but his real point in that video was about change. To be fair in 2010 PC gaming was going downhill as we saw very few PC games coming out besides indie games and fewer ports. However last year we started to see a revival of PCs in their dominance as new games and new technologies started coming out. Right now PC gaming look to rise to dominance once again thanks to some of the latest tools out there and some of the stuff on the horizon

I dont think moviebob was entirely wrong for the time (just partly wrong) but PC development has proven him wrong since

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I'm for the call out. I am sick and tired of Moviebob taking potshots at whatever he doesn't like and then calling those who like it idiots.

It's good for once that someone said something instead of text that no one will ever read.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Chris Roberts is an idiot, he chose a strawman whose name is Moviebob i mean how i sthat not a hint that the person is in no way an expert. Everyone and their dogs know that Moviebob has opinions based on his gaming experience from the golden age, and not an all encompassing knowledge of trends in either game development or gamer behavior. Not that he isn't enitled to sate his opinion , but when it comes to gaming during and after the PS2 era i wouldn't count him as an expert. But when it comes to movies and comics well his analysis is spot on and very in depth.

In regards to console superiority and PC gaming.... i havn't touched my xbox360 for years now, last game i played was Red dead Redemption, which unfortunately never made it to the PC. Besides a few exclusive titles on the PS3 i have no desire to play on a console. As the consoles become more and more restrictive in regards to their capabilities, the freedom of the PC market is going to reign. I am not often a doomsayer but i believe that consoles are fading most PCs can pull the same weight as any console and have functionality beyond being a gamin device. This is especially true for laptops and the advances that have been made, which might even spell the death of the desktop PC. I think the problem with Moviebob's take on the subject was that he didn't anticipate technology to advance, both in terms of capability but also miniaturization.

And finally i must say that Star Citizen, look amazing. I have been waiting for space sim with Battlestar Galactica-ish combat since i first saw the re-imagined show. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be too much of a boring Eve-ish 4X game.