Movie Defense Force: Braindead - Kicking Zombie Arse ... For The Lord

Gamer87

Nov 22, 2013
I agree with all of you, why would Braindead even need defense? It's a brilliant film. I also consider it the best romantic comedy ever. (That IS the genre, right?)

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
love it. its just hilarious. and yes, even today its still damn gory. i had to look nearly away but had to laugh at the same time as well because it was so over the top.

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
Interesting anecdote- I had a friend in high school who had t-shirt that graphically depicted Baby Selwyn's best and goriest scene. Anyone who's seen the movie will know which one I mean. Anyway, this kid made a special point of wearing that shirt every couple days. Now, our school doesn't have a strict uniform, but it does have an asshole principal who makes sure that the dress code in place is enforced to the letter. Anyone caught violating it is taken to the nurse's office and made to change the offending clothing with something from the stockpile of "inoffensive" clothes that he keeps. It's bullshit, is what I'm getting at.

And yet, never once in the better part of a decade that I knew him did my friend ever get asked to remove his Selwyn shirt.

Small mercies.

Oh, and, uh, yeah, good video Jim.

Bbleds

Sep 6, 2011
Itchi_da_killa said:
Wow thank you, very nice video. You are right, for fans there is no defense needed, but there are so many people that just don't get it. I too have been enjoying Peter Jackson's films way before LotR. Another one that needs defending is, "Meet The Feebles". It's such a classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMGuABm-zKk
Nice I was going to suggest the same. Saw it back in college when I realized the LOTR guy was the one responsible for Dead Alive (the American title) which I saw back when I was a kid and wanted to see the others (Feebles and Bad Taste). Like Jim said with Braindead, I watched it expecting to just to be repeatable one-note joke, it's The Muppets show but with overly dark and offensive actions from the anthropomorphic puppets ranging from cursing to complete psychological homicidal meltdowns, and I was fine with that but I surprisingly came away with more. Namely that many of the characters, as overtly offensive as some are, become fleshed out with the story and I actually cared about them. Doubt everyone will think the movie is good or come away with the same thoughts, but again if your looking to watch something bizarre, dark, different, or just want to see where Peter Jackson began it's well worth your time.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Great review of this cult classic, Jim. But, you know, it makes me wonder if Peter Jackson will ever go back to do one of his bat-shit bizarre movie projects like Braindead. Does he have one more Bad Taste or Meet The Feebles left in him or has he left that part of his life behind for hits like Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit?

Still, this is one zombie flick you need to add to your watch list. Although you may wanna keep a bucket handy if you've got a weak stomach. ^^;

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
Back in the early 90's, my brother decided to keep a death-count tally for the horror movies he was watching. He gave up counting while watching this movie.

If there's anything I feel you left out of the review, Jim, it's any mention of the lawnmower (though we do glimpse it) and how disturbingly Freudian the whole thing is, especially the 'boss' fight at the end.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Um, Jim old boy. Love to see you mention this movie but it in no way in HELL needs defending. It's great gory fun for the whole family!

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
This movie doesn't need defending, it's regarded as a cult classic (in the gore category)
It stands as proof that Peter Jackson could make movies before he ran away with the Hobbits and Elves!

Jean Chose

May 21, 2013
I can't believe people who think Braindead is a bad movie know anything about cinema. This is HANDS DOWN Peter Jackson's best film (no joke here).

Mr Sterling you have to do AvP Requiem. Now that's a movie that needs saving. And you're the only one who can do it.

Jean Chose

May 21, 2013
Mr. Q said:
... it makes me wonder if Peter Jackson will ever go back to do one of his bat-shit bizarre movie projects like Braindead. Does he have one more Bad Taste or Meet The Feebles left in him or has he left that part of his life behind for hits like Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit?
The scrotum beard of the goblin king in the first Hobbit film made me think back on when Jackson was into gore ;)

Fun fact : back when Gore really was a genre, the record for use of fake blood was owned by Re-animator with about 200-300 liters used during the shooting. Brainded pushed this limit to ten times more. A record that has never been contested since then.

Not only does this movie needs no saving : it is a historical landmark in the gore tradition.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
cursedseishi said:
Dear lord I hope this is on Netflix! If Elvis Versus Bubba hotep is on there, then this has to be!
Not streaming in my parts. I can get it on DVD which I'll do if a buddy I just EM'd doesn't already own it.

Amazon wants like $50 for it on DVD. Odd.

Antsh

May 15, 2012
Man, imagine if LotR and The Hobbit were this gory. No CGI, just makeup and props. It would be glorious.

Gorfias said:
cursedseishi said:
Dear lord I hope this is on Netflix! If Elvis Versus Bubba hotep is on there, then this has to be!
Not streaming in my parts. I can get it on DVD which I'll do if a buddy I just EM'd doesn't already own it.

Amazon wants like $50 for it on DVD. Odd.

Maybe DVDs increase in value based on their rarity... unlike most other forms of technology.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Great video, Jim, but I might just suggest that with that much gore, perhaps an age restriction might have been appropriate?

EvilestDeath

Nov 4, 2009
Honestly since this series started I had been waiting on this movie specifically to be brought up It is tremendous in how enjoyably great this morbid movie is. Still waiting on the 2005 disaster "Shapeshifter."

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
You didn't have the "pary's over" part when he enters with the lawnmower, so sad...

Aye, it's a great movie, and one of the few I actually have as a physical copy. Been a while, so I guess it's time to watch this gem again. Even though that dinner sceene really grosses me out.

Hm, now that I think about it, I really liked movies like this once. Bought this one together with Bad Taste, and still watch them from time to time. I enjoy these old (crappy) effects for some reason, I think it's because I can sit there and wonder what they used and know it was something real, and not just some program doing it's thing.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Also one of my favourite movies ever. I was given this movie by one of my first girlfriends... *sigh*
I haven't actually watch it for ages now (mainly because I did watch it to death) but the moment the clips started rolling in I immediately remembered the lines being said etc.

For me at least, this will always be an instant classic. Bad Taste was "so bad it's good", but as you said to the fans of this film such as I, Braindead is just great.