Movie Defense Force: Death to Smoochy - A Delicious Dark Comedy

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
OOooh Did Jim review this because I recommended it in one of his other MDF threads!? Super exciting if he did for me but I suppose its possible he didn't since Smoochy is a fantastic movie and deserves the MDF soothing treatment if anything does. I am sad that the video was so short though. =(

Ritchian

Wait, what?
Jul 29, 2009
Wait. There are people out there who don't like this film? Really?

Death to Smoochy is a great, pitch-black comedy featuring a talented cast with so little wrong with it, I never imagined it would require defending. I love almost everything about it. It was one of the movies that immediately found its way on the, "I have to re-watch this right now," list when Robin Williams died. I can't recommend it enough for people to watch.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
My friends in college all loved this film, as did I. I like to think is garnered cult popularity, if nothing else. Still, it's sad that much of Robin Williams' film work flew under the radar. For example, I loved Man of the Year as well!

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Cyberstrike said:
I've seen it and I thought it was pretty damn funny, and I'm generally not a fan of so-called dark comedies except ones like The Great Dictator and Monsieur Verdoux.
The Great Dictator is one of the best comedies of all time. Man, it is one thing to make fun of Hitler now, but in 1940, he still had a massive army and a wold-wide network of spies. Making him look foolish is one of the most courageous things anyone in Hollywood has ever done.

As for Smoochy, I loved it too, and I honestly have no idea why it was lambasted so much in the press. One thing I think may have been the fact that Robin Williams was, once he had won the Oscar, being taken somewhat for granted by the press and critics. Which we realize now is all too tragic.

I remember one critic at the time saying that the film was so bad, it actually drove John Stewart out of acting altogether. . . Which on its face is plain nonsense. I think that while the film has some editing and transitional issues, it is one of the better comedies of the era, even more so in its casting.

FiatCelebrity

Aug 25, 2010
I didn't like it at first, but I think I was just disappointed that Smoochy was a good guy. I always thought it would be a more interesting movie if both Smoochie and Randolph were crooks, and there was no love-interest tie-in, which was the weakest part of the film.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
Shoot, I didn't realize this was so poorly received by critics. I though it was just that nobody saw it. Love this movie.

Henry Rollins was almost in it!

Now... defend Pootie Tang! It's a masterpiece of modern cinema!

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
I was completely unaware that this movie needed defending. It's a great dark comedy, and Norton and Williams play off of each other perfectly.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Seracen said:
My friends in college all loved this film, as did I. I like to think is garnered cult popularity, if nothing else. Still, it's sad that much of Robin Williams' film work flew under the radar. For example, I loved Man of the Year as well!
You know, after he died, I sited both this movie and Man of the Year as great examples of Robin's ability to make any movie shine. I loved both movies, and I think he had a lot to do with it.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
I had never heard of this movie before... time to try and find it then.
Another reason this show is great is because quite often Jim will defend some pretty obscure movies which is great as I don't follow this industry very closely at all any more.

tangoprime said:
I was completely unaware that this movie needed defending. It's a great dark comedy, and Norton and Williams play off of each other perfectly.
Well it was a financial flop plus Roger Ebert panned it. *rolls eyes*
Every movie ever made can be "defended" on here for the simple fact that for every movie that someone finds great, another will find it terrible. Because of this Jim could make a Citizen Kane (for eg.) episode and it be would just as valid as any other title he has decided to pick.

Aug 12, 2013
Ryan Hughes said:
Cyberstrike said:
I've seen it and I thought it was pretty damn funny, and I'm generally not a fan of so-called dark comedies except ones like The Great Dictator and Monsieur Verdoux.
The Great Dictator is one of the best comedies of all time. Man, it is one thing to make fun of Hitler now, but in 1940, he still had a massive army and a wold-wide network of spies. Making him look foolish is one of the most courageous things anyone in Hollywood has ever done.
Chaplin later said he would never made the film after the horrors of the Holocaust were revealed. Monsieur Verdoux is in someways Chaplin's darkest film and his most complex character is really worth look. The Criterion Collection re-released on DVD and Blu-Ray and it is worth the price.

MonkeyPunch said:
I had never heard of this movie before... time to try and find it then.
Another reason this show is great is because quite often Jim will defend some pretty obscure movies which is great as I don't follow this industry very closely at all any more.

tangoprime said:
Well it was a financial flop plus Roger Ebert panned it. *rolls eyes*
Every movie ever made can be "defended" on here for the simple fact that for every movie that someone finds great, another will find it terrible. Because of this Jim could make a Citizen Kane (for eg.) episode and it be would just as valid as any other title he has decided to pick.
Citizen Kane was, is, and probably will always be for the most part a critical darling (and rightly so IMHO) but was a huge flop back in the day. I mean the late Roger Ebert even did a commentary track for the film on the DVD and I think it's also used on the blu-ray version as well.

i4njw

May 7, 2014
Makabriel said:
This is the movie that caused me to hate the Hulk reboot. I can't see Norton as anything but Smoochy now.
That sucks. I quite enjoyed Norton's Banner, and wish he would've stuck around for Avengers. I didn't care for Ruffalo in the role.

drmigit2

Dec 25, 2008
I saw this film after Jim recommended it and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't imagine it's for everyone, but the film really just hit a lot of great notes with a fantastic cast. I think the end villain could have been pulled off a bit better, and the ending in general was just a bit rushed (which is weird because the movie is really long for a comedy), but the film just felt great. I am a fan.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Never heard of it, but it looks like it's going to the top of my to watch list.

Thanks Bob.